Gransnet forums

Chat

Sheer piggery (by me ?)

(154 Posts)
Witzend Fri 03-Dec-21 10:16:50

Sleepless at around 3.30 this morning, I came down and scoffed most of a packet of clotted cream fudge that was supposed to be for dh’s stocking.
There are 4 pieces left.
I can’t see those lasting very long, either.

Moth62 Sun 05-Dec-21 10:55:26

Ps. Loving this thread

Chewbacca Sun 05-Dec-21 10:58:41

I bought a box of chocolate covered salted caramel shortbread biscuits to add to a friend's Christmas hamper but, just as I was hauling the shopping bag into the kitchen, I dropped the biscuits. I could hardly risk giving my lovely friend a box of broken biscuits could I? So, very magnanimously, I opened them and found that they'd been brilliantly protected and not one biscuit was broken. They are now though.

Naninka Sun 05-Dec-21 10:59:26

I seem to have lost:
1. A family sized box of wine gums
2. One "tin" of celebrations
3. One sharing tube of twiglets
4. One sharing tube of mini cheddars
5. Packet of cherry Jaffa Cakes
6. Two packets of Ritz crackers
7. Family pack of peanuts
8. Two tubes of Pringles
9. Three packs of mince pies
and
A Partridge In A Pear Tree!!

Naninka Sun 05-Dec-21 11:02:50

In my defence... most of these consumed by DH.
But he hates mince pies and twiglets... so I don't know where they went. ?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 05-Dec-21 11:06:02

Thought it was just me, but so far box of Black Magic just gone, now it’s the Baileys, I thought it would’ve a good idea to have just a drop in my Horlicks but I had to buy another yesterday. Also two Christmas puddings. How many more days to go?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 05-Dec-21 11:10:11

I gave my DDs their advent calendars shortly after I bought them (otherwise I would have enjoyed) them D1 will probably have consumed her and my SILs by now, she might have kept her paws off DGDs. DD2 is a bit more restrained.

1summer Sun 05-Dec-21 11:14:29

Was I a bad Mum, when children were little I used to worry about the amount of selection boxes and sweets they had for Christmas so I ate them ?‍♀️ Same with Easter Eggs! This was until son was suspicious and started to keep a list of what he had. Now when I buy chocolates I have to wrap straight away. Also supermarket was having a buy 6 bottles of wine with 25% off, so bought 6 good quality wines for Christmas- drank 3 already.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 05-Dec-21 11:16:26

Glad I'm not the only one. I make a bit of a habit of this so it's no wonder I can't lose weight as it's self-sabotage, isn't it? Oh well, only half a stone to go and it's proving the most difficult to lose.

Scottiebear Sun 05-Dec-21 11:16:57

Love, love, love fudge. Sadly, a rare treat as its so full of sugar. I remember Woolies pic n mix fudge being my favourite as a young woman.

Cycorax Sun 05-Dec-21 11:18:59

Agree with you 100 percent. Most chocolate is so full of non chocolate ingredients e.g palm oil, sugar, E442 etc that I can barely taste the chocolate. If I could get Black Magic as it was made 40 years ago, then I might well be tempted to have a choc fest.

VioletSky Sun 05-Dec-21 11:21:15

We haven't touched the Christmas chocolate I've been stocking up on but, the Christmas alcohol is another story lol

BlueSky Sun 05-Dec-21 11:23:35

Not guilty of binge eating/drinking but still overweight! angry

GrandmasueUK Sun 05-Dec-21 11:26:17

My friend said that for years her children thought that easter eggs were flat at the back because she ate that half of them. grin. My DD and I made inroads into a box of chocolates ate them all because she was feeling down and I didn't want her to suffer on her own. We also opened the Bailey's to put in the hot chocolate.

GrammarGrandma Sun 05-Dec-21 11:28:03

I am SO lucky not to have a sweet tooth! I am overweight as it is and would be the side of a house if I scoffed sweets and cakes and biscuits too. I do like chocolate but only dark and am very abstemious about having it.

Nannan2 Sun 05-Dec-21 11:33:33

I stocked up with selection boxes for all my GC and have taken some to them already, but got 1 for my youngest son(18 now) plus choc coins (its our tradition)& he's asked for both already!?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Dec-21 11:33:47

We binge eat chocolates once or twice a year, and at other times can walk right past the most tempting selection.

I think it is a kind of dispsomania, just chocolate-related not alcohol!

TanaMa Sun 05-Dec-21 11:35:31

Now I feel very 'good'!! Keep looking at the big tub of Quality Street bought for my milkman's wife - so far I haven't yielded to temptation but your stories are breaking down my resolve!! Think I am going to have to put the wrapped present out sooner rather than later!!

Nannan2 Sun 05-Dec-21 11:35:46

Ooh Baileys, in hot choc, I'd forgotten about that, I've some unopened in cupboard from months ago....??

nanasam Sun 05-Dec-21 11:48:06

Haha, we've nearly finished our 2nd bottle of Baileys. Well, they were on a really special offer so it's be rude not to, eh? [embarrassed] [don't care]

sandelf Sun 05-Dec-21 11:50:09

'It is a well know fact' that fudge does not keep - One box/packet/bag = one portion wink

win Sun 05-Dec-21 11:57:09

I can't leave an open packet alone, usually manage if it is not opened. I never buy cake and chocolate for home, but my partner does and tempts me when I am there, I just can't say no. I did not eat cakes and chocolate nor drank coffee for 20 years or more due to migraines when I was working, I don't get them now so eat the lot and make us for lost time.

henetha Sun 05-Dec-21 12:03:15

I bought a pretty tin with a robin on the lid, containing peppermint creams, to add to my sister's parcel before posting it. But greed overwhelmed me and I opened it that evening and ate the lot. Oh well, I now have a pretty, empty tin.

Youngatheart51 Sun 05-Dec-21 12:03:55

Oh gosh you have no idea how much better reading this thread has made me feel! On Friday I ate the top layer of a family box of biscuits! I can't have "nice" stuff in the house as if I know it's there my willpower disappears! I'm really good at not buying rubbish. DD on the other hand can't be trusted to go food shopping by himself! ?

Happysexagenarian Sun 05-Dec-21 12:06:36

I bought 4 boxes of mince pies to last us up to Christmas. We ate them all last weekend!

I've also eaten the chocolate coins intended for our advent stockings. Probably won't bother putting them up now.

Kalu Sun 05-Dec-21 12:15:31

I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth but the after eights with mojito bought on a trial basis we’re so delicious I couldn’t resis having 2 or 3 to accompany my many coffee breaks. Divine mouth melting joy.

My late aunt supplied my favourite chocolate Brazil nuts and homemade treacle toffee. Special memories.

DH is a lost cause who swoops in to the sweetie and biscuit cupboard as soon as I replenish it. Hiding his favourite Christmas treats, marzipan fruits, giant toblerone and fruit jellies is becoming more difficult as I rack my brain trying to remember where I have hidden what. I have no idea where all this goes as he is still slim.
It is not unknown for me to come across something very well hidden as late as January!