Gransnet forums

Chat

Smoking weed

(221 Posts)
annsixty Fri 03-Dec-21 17:46:36

This is a very bold question posed after reading an answer on another thread.

Do/have you ever smoked cannabis and did you like it?

I was watching a tv programme recently where people got very silly smoking it and I shocked my GD by remarking I would quite like a puff to see what it was like.

Kalu Sat 04-Dec-21 01:07:26

Yes, feeling very mellow and content with the world when I had an occasional spliff, also on a few occasions to relieve dysmenorrhea.

Was cannabis not legal when Queen Victoria also used it for dysmenorrhea, or have I imagined I once read this?

3dognight Sat 04-Dec-21 02:43:26

Yes she did, perhaps it was a go to staple in chemist!
Raspberry leaf tea is very good for period pain by the way.

Ali08 Sat 04-Dec-21 03:54:16

Yes. It used to be good, back in the late 80s, with friends. We'd chill out after work, have a good laugh, keep out of trouble.
These days, yeesh it stinks to high hell and back!!!
I hate going into shops, especially food shops, and even more so with my grandchildren when we smell it as it just seems to overpower everything!!
It used to be that we'd pass pubs where people smoked it bug we wouldn't smell it until we were upon the pubs, and it would stay there as we walked past. Nowadays, I think they put something in it to make the smell stronger. And it really does REEK!!!

BBbevan Sat 04-Dec-21 06:19:35

Yes in the 60’s. Wouldn’t mind doing it again. I’ll check that out.?‍?

DanniRae Sat 04-Dec-21 08:05:18

No definitely not. Never have and never will.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 08:28:14

Never did in the 60s, but like others have wondered so bought some cannabis biscuits in Amsterdam a couple of years ago.
Felt very daring and made sure we were sitting down ( in case we fell down) with a cup of tea and finished the pack? Waited and realised we had been had.
Nada, zilch, we were disappointed but it was worth paying silly money fir biscuits to see our AC reactions of disbelief, shock/horror. Made it all worth while.
If I had an opportunity I would probably have a try. It’s never too late. Is it? Probably prefer to eat something than smoke it though.

Iam64 Sat 04-Dec-21 08:39:32

Chewbacca

Not until I reached my 50s (I was a late bloomer).

Same here. I used it rather than pain killers when RA stopped me sleeping. Little spliff, piece of toast worked a dream. I stopped when the RA was effectively and legally controlled.

henetha Sat 04-Dec-21 10:06:23

No, never and wouldn't..... although I have secretly wondered if it would help my back pain.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:15:14

Me too henetha but no idea where to find it. Do know it’s definitely not worth bothering with the biscuits ?

henetha Sat 04-Dec-21 10:19:15

And I've got some ointment which is very limited in the help it gives, silverlining 48.
I wouldn't have any idea where to buy it either. I don't suppose Amazon or Ebay stock it! grin

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:32:39

grin

Babs758 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:44:37

Yes! Was bought a large blunt as a present for my 60th birthday party and got the giggles and the munchies. Ordered the cheeseboard twice, kissed all my friends and laughed at everything. I don’t smoke even cigarettes! I wouldn’t make a habit of it but it stopped all my bone in bone pain for a while. :-)

Socksandsocks01 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:53:32

Not likely. And cannibas is much stronger these days because if the different regions its grown in. Once u have contact with drug dealers they offer other stuff. Also I read where an American nurse shared a spliff totally unaware it had heroine in it. She got hooked and that's all they want. Hook line and sinker. Stay well away is my advice. If medical people can get sucked in what chance do we have. Slippery slope. When I first started smoking I didn't think I'd end up addicted but I did.

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:58:38

I've seen too many of my best and most intelligent students having their minds destroyed by it - and it ruined their lives. Depression, schyzophrenia (sp?) and long term. life long damage.

Never smoked it in the 60s- and only tried once with DD1 and friends when visiting their digs for the week-end when she was at Uni. Didn't do anything for me ...

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 11:23:05

What does it mean when Multimedia message is attached to a post? Just noticed it’s on Mine on this thread

hazel93 Sat 04-Dec-21 13:20:39

Loved it ! It was then part of my social scene along with all the other accroutments of the so called "permissive society" .
Then I grew up.

grannysyb Sat 04-Dec-21 13:49:21

I smoked some in the late sixties, then went to a Pink Floyd concert. The light show made me feel very weird, I was carried out, and never tried it again!

Witzend Sat 04-Dec-21 14:03:45

Only once, when I was a student. Given to me by future dh! I didn’t really like it.

Easily shocked GNers pls read no further, but when my mother was 80 we took her, and dds (then early 20s ish) to Barbados. We’d been before and dds had become friendly with several of the beach boys, one of whom usually had some weed on him.

Previously dds had been winding my mother up (in a nice way) saying you have to try everything once, Granny, even a joint. And had evidently told Weed Boy.

One evening on the beach, when we’d all had a couple of rum cocktails, Weed Boy turned up with a teeny tiny spliff, saying, ‘That for the gran.’
My mother was pretty merry by then (rum) and she actually smoked it - took a few puffs anyway - while laughing her head off and saying, ‘I don’t know what my neighbours would say!’

Shortly after we returned home there was a family wedding where, ‘Granny smoked a spliff on the beach!’ went round like wildfire and caused much mirth all round.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Dec-21 14:06:10

It’s because your post consisted of an emoji silverlining. No, me neither …

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 04-Dec-21 14:06:39

Yes, and I loved it. Lots of mellowness. I made hash cakes and cookies too.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 14:12:20

Thanks gsm. Did wonder .

3dognight Sat 04-Dec-21 14:42:16

Yes yes yes.
It was my only ambition (!) if I’m being completely honest as a teenager shock

At the end of my twenties I found a lovely man who would give me a tiny bit to roll up and try.

That was the start of a lifetime love affair with cannabis.

These days I’m extremely fussy about what I smoke- it has to be low thc and high cbd, organically grown and cured properly.

More often than not I will make a tea with it, only taken in the evening when things are finished for the day. That one tea soothes my arthritis, helps control my blood sugar working in conjunction with my own endocannabanoid system, and sends me into a deep sleep at the end of the day.

It’s a lifestyle choice, and agreed not for most of us, but for me a good thing.

My doctor said to me ‘I know what you are doing, but carry on - all your blood test results are very good, in fact they are typical of someone half your age’.

Kalu Sat 04-Dec-21 14:56:04

Hilarious Witzend. So accessible in Barbados as we discovered. We had a very pleasant evening sitting on the hotel beach after dinner watching the sun set sharing a rare joint, no alcohol involved as it isn’t our drug of choice.

MerylStreep Sat 04-Dec-21 15:01:12

silverlining48

Me too henetha but no idea where to find it. Do know it’s definitely not worth bothering with the biscuits ?

You didn’t have the true biscuits.?

Hetty58 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:03:28

In the 60s, as a teenager, it seemed that we all did - and I thoroughly enjoyed it!