Gransnet forums

Chat

Washing up bowls

(50 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sat 04-Dec-21 06:21:29

DD2 and I were spending our huge fantasy lottery win on a big farmhouse to share when we decided we definitely need two kitchens as I cannot possibly have a washing up bowl in the sink( harbours germs) and she can't manage without one. Would you be on her team or mine washing up wise? There would if course be a dishwasher.

grandMattie Sat 04-Dec-21 06:24:47

Two kitchens would be extravagant and not very friendly. No chatting while cooking…. How about “his’n’hers” sinks? ?

NotAGran55 Sat 04-Dec-21 06:49:44

I’m on team BB1 No washing up bowls in either of the 2 sinks in my kitchen.
My washing up bowl is used for my pedicures ? ?

Calendargirl Sat 04-Dec-21 06:56:29

One kitchen is more than enough for me. Years ago I read that “My dream kitchen is one I’m not in” and I definitely fall into that category.

I have no dishwasher, my washing up bowl is used for what the name suggests.

As for ‘harbouring germs’, as long as it gets cleaned regularly, never been a problem for me.

tanith Sat 04-Dec-21 07:13:18

One kitchen for me and I’ve not had a washing up bowl since I’ve had a dishwasher.

Lincslass Sat 04-Dec-21 07:16:55

Did have a washing up bowl, many years ago, no problems with it at all as cleaned daily along with dishcloth. Now have small dishwasher, so no bowl.

SpringyChicken Sat 04-Dec-21 07:17:08

How is a washing up bowl any more unhygienic than a sink? Both need regular cleaning.

lemongrove Sat 04-Dec-21 07:48:33

I would choose your DD’s kitchen Bertha tchgrin
Although I have had a dishwasher for the last 35 years I still use a washing up bowl, for things that shouldn’t go into a dishwasher.It gets bleach cleaned regularly.

JackyB Sat 04-Dec-21 07:51:52

I have a washing up bowl. I cringe to think of washing anything directly in the sink because that's where I stand the bucket to fill it for cleaning the floors, and where I sometimes tip the water after I've swilled out the rubbish bins when I can't be bothered to go outside. I thoroughly scrub it every time I do the washing up, and because I have a dishwasher, one of the few things I do wash by hand are delicate glasses. No way am I washing those directly in the hard sink, the washing up bowl is safer.

Not to mention the water saving. The tap would be running for ages to fill the sink enough to actually dip anything in it to wash it.

DanniRae Sat 04-Dec-21 07:53:59

I have no dishwasher - except Mr R - so we have a washing up bowl which gets cleaned inside and out regularly!

Urmstongran Sat 04-Dec-21 07:57:42

Our apartment has a kitchen ‘area’ that is too small to accommodate a dishwasher. It was the only thing we missed when we downsized. However as grandMattie points out - we have one-and-a-half sinks which is ideal. No washing up bowl needed (or wanted). The half sink is handy for emptying dregs before washing up in the main sink and also handy for rinsing off after crockery is washed. Or so Himself tells me ...
#lazygran
(I do make the meals though. ‘Cooking’ might be stretching it a bit. I don’t faff much these days with food just assemble it).
?

BlueBelle Sat 04-Dec-21 07:59:24

I like my washing up bowl it has a drainer in the bottom to let the water out a cheapy from Lidl (no advertising allowed) a few years back
Whats unhygienic about a bowl you clean it don’t you the same as a sink !!!

shysal Sat 04-Dec-21 08:06:37

I have no dishwasher and use a bowl to save filling the whole sink, which would contain the same germs anyway. I do use the antibacterial Fairy liquid.

mokryna Sat 04-Dec-21 08:17:41

Being on my own, the dishwasher never got filled up after three days. I didn’t like the idea of unwashed dishes hanging about even though I rinsed them before stacking them, so now I wash-up by hand. I have double sinks both the size that can cope with a very large dinner plate. The sinks are cleaned with white vinegar. I pile the crockery etc in one and fill it with hot water, after washing the dishes, they are placed in the other to be rinsed not under running water. I don’t need a plastic bowl because the sinks are small so I am in the ´no bowl’ team.
The fashion today with the young, is washing up with a running tap which isn’t good for the planet.

M0nica Sat 04-Dec-21 08:26:17

With a dishwasher and 2 sinks, I do not need a washing up bowl in the sink for regular use. HoweverIi do have a plastic bowl in the cupboard under the sink for those tasks where I need to use water elsewhere, for example, scrubbing the patio table, giving my car windscreen a good clean or cleaning muddy boots. There is a plastic bucket under the sink for car cleaning etc.

Cabbie21 Sat 04-Dec-21 09:21:32

I use a washing up bowl, as others have said, for items that mustn’t go in the dishwasher. As DH insists on using wooden or bone handled knives, that means every day. I clean it as often as I clean the sink. I don’t see a problem.
Hygiene is “good enough” in this house, not OTT.

Grannybags Sat 04-Dec-21 09:45:32

I'd be in your DDs kitchen!

Sets my teeth on edge putting crockery directly into the sink. We have a dishwasher but still wash a few things that can't go in it

I thought it was the younger generation that didn't use bowls as when we were having a new kitchen our designer told us that "no one uses washing up bowls any more"

BlueSky Sat 04-Dec-21 09:48:45

Washing up bowl scrubbed regularly and changed often. Same with washing up sponges and surface cloths.

henetha Sat 04-Dec-21 09:59:11

No dishwasher here, other than me. So a washing up bowl lives in the sink and makes economic sense as it uses less water than the sink would. Simple enough to keep the bowl clean.

DillytheGardener Sat 04-Dec-21 10:02:14

This is an English thing, as my kiwi dil did not understand why we English washed up using a bowl in a sink ?
They seem to have double sinks over there, one for washing and one for rinsing suds off.

LauraNorderr Sat 04-Dec-21 10:11:29

I’m in the no plastic bowl camp. We have a dishwasher and a single stainless steel sink in the kitchen which is kept clean and another sink in the utility room for the dirty jobs but is also kept clean. We do own a washing up bowl and a bucket for floor washing and tasks that are carried out outdoors like window cleaning or washing wellies.

crazyH Sat 04-Dec-21 10:18:48

Without a bowl, the sink would develop scratch marks, don't you think ?

Visgir1 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:22:27

Dream kitchen.. No washing up bowls but x2 Dishwashers.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:27:11

I am in your daughter's camp. I have a dishwasher and a bowl. Sometimes I have to soak items in the bowl because the dishwasher will not always cope with my method of cooking. I frequently pop the bowl in the dishwasher and it gets a really good clean.

Calistemon Sat 04-Dec-21 10:38:56

DillytheGardener

This is an English thing, as my kiwi dil did not understand why we English washed up using a bowl in a sink ?
They seem to have double sinks over there, one for washing and one for rinsing suds off.

I thought most modern kitchens had two sinks or at least 1.5 sinks?

I have a washing up bowl in the kitchen and another in the utility room where veg from the garden gets washed before it gets brought into the kitchen.