Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you enjoy eating turkey?

(140 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 06-Dec-21 16:51:34

I personally am not keen on turkey but like all the trimmings that go with it. Love pigs in blankets, stuffing, vegetables (I really love sprouts). Christmas day is the only time that I ever eat turkey but would prefer a good roast beef and Yorkshire puddings. Do you stick with tradition and have turkey because that is what is expected or do you opt for something else that you would prefer to eat? I don't like Christmas pudding either far to rich after Christmas dinner.

VioletSky Mon 03-Jan-22 21:34:54

I was a bit disappointed I didn't get a turkey for new years day. Did manage to get a few sandwiches out of the Christmas say one though, love a turkey and mint sauce sandwich

rubysong Mon 03-Jan-22 21:32:05

I suddenly realised, late on Christmas Eve, that I hadn't got a veggie option for DS2. I had some frozen puff pastry, and made a mixture of lentils, onion, tomato puree, red pepper with herbs and chili (can't remember if I put anything else in). I rolled the pastry and put the filling in, covering it with lattice cut pastry. He said it was very good, but he is always polite and kind!

Mollygo Mon 03-Jan-22 21:21:48

Love our home cooked turkey. Hotel turkey was enough to put me off for life, and it was a good hotel too.

Esmay Mon 03-Jan-22 21:12:49

Love turkey and all the extras that go with it !
And not just at Christmas !

henetha Mon 03-Jan-22 11:09:30

I love turkey but don't get much chance to eat it. I bought a big chicken, for economic reasons.

Evelyn92 Mon 03-Jan-22 06:48:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Forsythia Wed 08-Dec-21 18:44:47

We like turkey and have always had it when the family all were here. Now, as there’s less of us, we are having a chicken. Less to get through as we will be out on Boxing Day with family.

Grandadtel Wed 08-Dec-21 18:40:49

I dont have Turkey... Love a leg o lamb tho...... At 35 quid a leg.... Its a treat.... Mmmmm

M0nica Wed 08-Dec-21 07:22:13

You do not get a choice. plant one plant and you will get anything from 1 to 10, but they do grow easily

Pepper59 Wed 08-Dec-21 01:40:58

We have chicken,just a family tradition, though we do eat turkey occasionally.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 23:25:37

Hmmm..
I wonder if I could grow one or two?
Not by Christmas, obviously, but I really like the idea of stuffing them with veg and putting a self grown lid on.

M0nica Tue 07-Dec-21 23:07:11

I grow them and have three still on my windowsill, although it will be down to one by the end of the week.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 22:52:45

Oh thank you.
The Morrison's one looks nice and has cranberries in.
I love them with my sprouts!

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 22:40:59

MissAdventure

I'd be very interested if anyone has a veggie option that is oven ready to recommend. --and cheap--

www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/food-reviews/g23814761/best-vegetarian-christmas-dinner/

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 22:05:36

Thanks M0nica
I will have a google of that; alas, I think I'm too idle to make it though. blush
I haven't heard of that squash, it sounds lovely

Mistyfluff8 Tue 07-Dec-21 21:45:17

I don’t like Turkey but my traditionalist husband would never consider anything else I’d love a nice piece of beef for a change My children don’t eat Turkey chicken or gammon cooked in Coca Cola hate Christmas pudding so a lovely blackcurrant cheesecake (difficult to find this year not the individual ones)with homemade ice cream Boxing Day bubble and Squeak for him

M0nica Tue 07-Dec-21 20:16:45

I am not sure whether this can be described as oven ready, but I always think that if I had any veggies around at Christmas I would buy a Turks Turban squash, cut the lid off , scoop it out and fill it with a bought stuffing of your choice, pop it in the oven for about an hour, garland it with a bit of ivy (do not eat ivy). It will look spectacular and serve with the usual accompaniments.

I tried to illistrate this post with a photo of the squash I had in mind, but without success.But google it.

mokryna Tue 07-Dec-21 20:10:44

Yes, I do once a year and so does everyone else here on Christmas Day. Well, it’s a chapon covered in bacon slices cooked upside down in tin foil (until the last 30 mins) in a slow oven, with a Pyrex dish full of water on the bottom of the oven.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 19:48:34

I'd be very interested if anyone has a veggie option that is oven ready to recommend. and cheap

leeds22 Tue 07-Dec-21 19:29:40

A nice leg of Yorkshire lamb for me. Used to do Beef Wellington when then unmarried sons came home for Christmas - it was much appreciated.

Lupin Tue 07-Dec-21 19:16:31

Turkey every year. My younger daughter dislikes turkey, so I used to do a chicken breast for her. Personally I prefer all the things that go with it and sometimes through the year I have just that as my Sunday lunch. I love those M&S trays of stuffing and look on that as a sort of meat loaf. It does have port in it. We have a carvery nearby and I always opt for turkey there.

Amalegra Tue 07-Dec-21 18:55:35

Cooked properly so that it doesn’t dry out, I think turkey can be delicious but I am happy to have other choices. This year, I am going to my daughters and I will cook a turkey crown for all to sample, and we are also having gammon (my daughter’s favourite) and roast beef as well, so plenty of choice. But my favourite part of any roast is always the roast potatoes (I am easily pleased..!).

DillytheGardener Tue 07-Dec-21 18:12:28

Judy54 my thoughts exactly! Hopefully I can have a Christmas there next year!!

Judy54 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:36:33

DillytheGardener a bbq on the beach sounds wonderful the cold in Canada not so much as I really don't like ice and snow!

Naninka Tue 07-Dec-21 17:31:44

Mushroom en croute. Nut roast. Veggie Wellington. The meatless choices are vast.