Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday 7th December 2021

(69 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 07-Dec-21 05:56:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark , but dry start here in brackley this morning.
Today will see me catch the bus to Bicester later to do my usual shop ,and have a coffee.
Yesterday , I received the Itinerary for my Xmas trip to the IOW , a slight change to the advertised schedule but only small changes .
Mind you locally it was shown on local BBC that Brackley has an increase of this new variant , so I am also playing safe , go out but self isolate on return.
Take Care,
Mick

Georgesgran Tue 07-Dec-21 08:19:33

Good morning from Durham where it’s barely light and very cold.
Clearing out lofts makes me think that’s got to be my project for next year - God only knows what’s up there and why!
Sorry to read yesterday that some GNs are having a rough time. End of life care for GS took me back to earlier this year - such devastating news.
Hope Marydolls appointment went without incident - doubt that ?.
Lovely to see other locals back posting. Hope Grandmafrench is reading and knows she’s greatly missed.
Babysitting youngest DGS later, so need my tea and caramel wafer now - yes, Tunnocks.
Have a good day. X

multicolourswapshop Tue 07-Dec-21 08:27:40

Good morning everyone from a dark and dismal -1 degree here on the east coast of Fife. I’ve been contemplating getting up but it’s far too dark and I think I can scrounge another half hour from my cosy bed. Yesterday was a successful day where my dh was concerned. Hoping for further good news this morning when we’re all up and chatting. Nothings been planned for today except Im going to open my posh advent calendar around coffee time. What a lot of beautiful surprises in these daily boxes.

Have a good day all everything’s going to be all right flowers

Marydoll Tue 07-Dec-21 08:28:43

Good morning all from a very chilly Glasgow, I woke up at 5am feeling cold. Thank goodness for the Hive! We have a prediction of snow. ?

Happy birthday to Shelbel!, have a lovely day. I haven't noticed you posting before Flossiebo, so a warm welcome from me.

Yesterday's hospital visit went smoothly to start with, the traffic was surprisingly light going to Braehead and then to my relief, we were the only people on the double decker bus. The patient, lady bus driver was amused at my antics, I hadn't used my bus pass in two years and for the life of me, couldn't see where to place it. DH of course, was huffing and puffing in the background. As if he is perfect!!!

The procedures in place at the clinic were excellent, sent for xrays on arrival and saw the consultant and out again in forty minutes. Some of my clinics take hours.
Thank goodness I put on my best underwear! ? The radiographer advised me to keep on my underwear and said I would understand why! ?
After having to contort myself ouch into all sorts of positions, I realised that it was not a pretty sight to behold!! ?
A future as a contortionist in a circus awaits, if I need some extra cash! wink

The news from the consultant was not what I had expected and threw me a bit.
I do not need a new hip I need a new body. It looks as if my RA is now affecting both hips and given my past history of fractures, a diagnosis of osteoporosis over thirty years ago and long term steroid use, the consultant suspects that I have and have had a number of stress fractures in my hips, hence the severe pain. That is why my foot and knee are troubling me. I need an MRI to confirm this. There is nothing to be done, apart from steroid injections into my hip to dampen down the inflammation. However, as I am already immunocompromised, it would make me even more at risk of catching Covi.
A new hip probably wouldn't have happened anyway, as I am considered very high risk in an operating theatre.

Mr Mdoll was so relieved that I didn't need an op, he just didn't understand the implications, that despite being on the Rolls Royce of RA drugs, this bl***dy , horrible disease is doing its worst. There is nothing else for it, but to suck it up and lead a thoroughly hedonistic life while I can!

To that end, DH had parked beside an Italian lighting shop and we went into look for a new central light for our lounge.
We actually quickly agreed on a light and much to my shock, DH suggested we buy a matching floor lamp and table lamps.?
I needed to administer smelling salts, when he saw the final amount!!!

Then we hit a problem. The golfer, had forgotten to remove his golf trolley from the boot. That combined with Dollie's car seat made it impossible to fit in the large boxes. He lowered seats, moved things about and despite having a large car, he still couldn't do it. At this point, I thought of running way, if I could run he was not a happy bunny.
In the end, DH took out the parcel shelf and I had to climb in the back and lean on one of the boxes, marked, fragile while DH tried to close it!! Today we will check for breakages. Watch this space!

After I got home, I had to go back out to support the Covid warriors. They needed more cough medicine and decongestants. DD also had a craving for crisps, so like an eejit, I was standing in Morrisons, photographing endless bags of multipak crisps and sending them to her, so that she could choose.
I came home and promptly fell asleep.

I think I will be going back to online food shopping. A primary school five minutes from DD's home has been closed to an Omicron outbreak. It's only ten minutes away from us, so really scary times.
Wha'ts even more worrying is that there have been reports of people, who had a booster at the same time as SIL, developing Covid a few days later. It appears that it is being investigated. Of course its all heresay at the moment, so we need to wait for the scientists to investigate.

Corner I hope your wee one picks up and Gaga, that ulcer is healing. Hoping all goes well for Iris.
Oh and I wanted to say hello to Ena Sharples from yesterday!

Have a good day folks!!

PS, apologies for the novella, I just need to offload my worries!! wink

Marydoll Tue 07-Dec-21 08:32:26

PPS.
I hope Grandmabatty is on the mend!

Nannytopsy Tue 07-Dec-21 08:33:41

Good morning Mick and all his followers. You’ll soon be off to the IoW!

Happy Birthday Shelbel!
Expecting the decorator later, then WI committee this afternoon- always good fun. Our running joke is that our neighbouring WI always call their president “Madame President” while ours is “ Oi you!”.
Hope all went well Marydoll and also hope the day is kind to everyone!

monk08 Tue 07-Dec-21 08:50:17

Good morning all from the Black country, dry at the moment.
Happy birthday Shelbel ? and welcome any newbies ?.
Posted most of Christmas cards yesterday just a couple more to do, will probably put the tree up later unless a more interesting invite comes along.
Best wishes to anyone else celebrating and virtual hugs where needed.
Enjoy your Tuesday and may you all find some ?.

Anniebach Tue 07-Dec-21 08:55:19

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

BlueSapphire Tue 07-Dec-21 09:05:13

Good morning everyone from an overcast Northampton; hoping it stays dry for our health walk this afternoon. If not it'll be straight into the cafe for our little Christmas celebration of mince pies and coffee. We are all to wear our Christmas jumpers!

Changed my Christmas top yesterday in Sainsbury's, had a coffee and then did a bit of shopping. Treated myself to a Christmas bottle of Cointreau, which I didn't have to pay for, as I had loads of reward points to use up! Also got some more packs of Christmas cards, as I used all last year's stock up on Sunday.

A morning of pottering, then out for the walk straight after lunch.

Happy birthday ? Shelbel.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

grandMattie Tue 07-Dec-21 09:05:27

Ha ha ha, NanaToosy. When I was President of our
WI, I suggested that members should curtsy every time they saw me, or at least tug their forelocks…. Curiously, a number of members didn’t see the joke and were seriously upset by my presumption! ????

Mapleleaf Tue 07-Dec-21 09:16:26

Good morning all,

It’s looking very grey, damp and dismal outside today. I think Barra is due to reach us later this afternoon ?.

Today I plan to start wrapping presents. I wrote out the cards on Sunday, and posted the ones that needed posting yesterday.

Happy birthday Shelbel ???. Enjoy your day.

Grandmabatty Tue 07-Dec-21 09:16:49

Good morning all. It's 1° in Polmont and very icy. The cars are frozen over and the gritter has just passed through presumably dropping off some winter salt in the salt bin in the street.
Happy birthday Shelbel. I hope you have a lovely day. Marydoll you make light of a difficult situation for you. ? I am on the mend Marydoll, thank you for your concern. And thank you everyone who expressed sympathy here and at Soops kitchen. I slept until six then fell over for another couple of hours and woke refreshed. The lurgy has quite gone and left me with sore ribs which I think are pulled muscles.
Yesterday I was kind to myself. I did a spot of tidying and had little to eat. So nothing to report from Batty Towers.
I had been going to go to town this morning, but the roads look slippy. I want the Christmas radio times and I've to pick up a voucher from Hobby Craft for mum who will insist on calling it "The make do and mend " shop! I shall consider all options and maybe stay home. Have a good day all.

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:21:53

Good morning from North Wales. Stormy here this morning so no walk. I don't want to be hit by a low flying twig.
Happy Birthday to Shelbel ?
Take great care MaryDoll.
Have a peaceful, pleasant day everyone.

LauraNorderr Tue 07-Dec-21 09:36:15

Good morning Mick, good morning all. Grey, blustery, slight drizzle in Anglesey. Definitely a day to hunker down with my book.
Happy birthday Shelbel ?
Welcome new posters, looking forward to getting to know you.
Gentle hug for all feeling sad, unwell, anxious or just wanting a little hug.
So many of you just quietly soldiering on without complaint.
???

harrigran Tue 07-Dec-21 09:41:59

Good morning from a cold NE.
I had a lie in this morning. DD is working online in the music room and SIL is trying to charge the car battery. The car is off road and the tracker is shouting to HQ which means I am getting phone calls at all times day and night. I just want shot of the car.
Rang a repair company yesterday to arrange for my two Neff ovens to have small repairs, they sent an invoice by email and I swear it was written in Klingon, couldn't understand a word but basically they were charging for two call outs for ovens that are side by side and a few centimetres apart.
I have a solicitor's appointment tomorrow to sort out probate.
Happy Birthday Shelbel.

henetha Tue 07-Dec-21 09:50:57

Storm Barra is crossing Devon now. Strong winds and heavy rain.

Kalu Tue 07-Dec-21 09:58:31

Good morning all from a very ominous looking sky in Glasgow. We had heavy sleet yesterday and I wouldn’t be surprised to see snow today.

Happy Birthday*Shelbel*. I wouldn’t mind being sixty again.
Fingers crossed all goes well for Iris today GrandM ?
I can help you with the Cointreau BlueSaphire, a Cointreau frappé is a favourite of mine.
Sorry to hear your talk with your consultant wasn’t an uplifting visit Marydoll. Hope your news lamps had a safe journey home, all in one piece. Worrying news that a primary school near your DD has closed due to covid. I feel so sorry for children having to go through this again!
Hoping you are on the road to recovery Grandmabatty
Welcome Flosiebo

We .watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yesterday afternoon. DH hadn’t seen it before and enjoyed it as much as I did when I devoured the trilogy by the late Stieg Larson when it first appeared on the shelves.

Wishing everyone a pleasant day and a kind day to those coping with problems.

aggie Tue 07-Dec-21 10:05:22

Stormy greetings ! The wind is shunting the bins about , power is on and off , neighbour has locked herself out , with no coat , hunted for her spare key , hope she doesn’t get blown away on her scurry up the lane
Sorry to hear your news Marydoll praying for a wee miracle xxx

Kalu Tue 07-Dec-21 10:09:01

I have just look at our weather forecast, snow and strong winds can only mean storm barra will reach our area too. A quick visit to our local shops then it’s batten down the hatches for a cosy day at home.

Grammaretto Tue 07-Dec-21 10:19:32

Good Morning all from the Scottish Borders. We have been promised severe weather and lots of snow later today so I don't know if I should risk a bus journey into Edinburgh to buy some more knitting wool and all the shopping I still need.

Happy Birthday Shelbel and enjoy it.
My 60th birthday was wonderful. I retired and got my bus pass. The same photo is on it from back then - I looked so young grin

Relief that you don't have to have a new hip Marydoll but tempered with the lack of alternatives. sad You are an inspiration with your cheerfulness despite the constant pain.

Nannytopsy Tue 07-Dec-21 10:29:14

Crossed posts Marydoll. I am sorry it wasn’t the news you wanted and I think you are wise to consider reducing your Covid risk again. There’s a sad story in the Guardian today ( other newspapers are available!) about an RA sufferer who was not as well informed as you.
Must away to collect leaves - once Popmaster has finished.
Look after yourselves everyone!

Shan02 Tue 07-Dec-21 10:36:09

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

joyce6135 Tue 07-Dec-21 10:40:17

Morning all from East Northants. I think all the UK is expecting rain today, I for one won’t be venturing out. I really enjoyed your novella Marydoll and the cartoon from Urms. Such wonderful people on here, may you all have a peaceful day and stay safe.

EnaSharples Tue 07-Dec-21 10:41:21

Good morning from stormy Manchester. Happy birthday Shelbel, 60 is no age at all.
Marydoll thank you for the welcome. You are a medical marvel. I have the same problems as you. immunosuppressed. RA. Osteoporosis for 20 years. three heart attacks. I cant tell you how much I sympathise but I wouldnt dare do all the things you do I'm a scaredy cat. When my consultant said shield I went in to hibernation I'm not as brave as you. I did laugh this morning with you climbing in to the back of the car, I just wouldn't be able to do that with my hips, I definitely wouldnt get out again. You are so funny.
Now I've forgot what everyone else said so I'll say goodbye for now.
Have a nice day
Ena

Blossoming Tue 07-Dec-21 10:45:07

Good morning Mick and everybody. A slow start today.

It’s very windy and raining heavily in my corner of Lancashire. Currently 6°. Yesterday’s Zoom meeting was very productive. The instructor did a quick recap, then we discussed our personal risk factors as we are all different. We began to look at what each of us could do to achieve our goals, taking into account our different abilities and challenges. I had already been thinking about this so am formulating a plan. My plans for today are sorting out Christmas cards, a little sewing, physio exercises and cycling (indoors).

Stay safe and warm all ??

Blossoming Tue 07-Dec-21 11:16:40

Sorry to read of the disappointing news from your consultant Marydoll. I know that you will make the best of things, as you always do. Keep safe, sending a socially distanced virtual hug your way.

Happy Birthday Shelbel and welcome to all our newcomers.