Gransnet forums

Chat

Why aren't people social distancing anymore?

(102 Posts)
JaneJudge Tue 07-Dec-21 07:46:37

Ok My study is very small.

At work we are spread out but there are times when we cannot social distance if we need to physically work together on something or similar but for the main we are working 2 meters or more apart. No masks though.

Petrol station queue, everyone was less than 2m apart. varying degrees of mask wearing. Station on very busy A road (North to South)

Vaccination centre, the dots on the floor were not even 2m apart, let alone the people in the queue. All wore masks.

Sainsburys last night was quite busy, again no SD at all. Various people either stood right next to me or reach over me for things. No one even bothered to SD in queue. Everyone was wearing masks.

I don't know why I have added the mask wearing BUT isn't the most important thing to still social distance? Why are people not doing it? Why does someone desperately need to touch a blouse next to a T-shirt I am looking at or similar?

I know people may like to post what it is like by them wink but has the social distancing advice changed?

M0nica Mon 13-Dec-21 06:55:49

I have noticed that more and more people have clothmasks.

I went to a socially distanced concert last night in a large airy church, with the doors wide open. I did not see one disposable mask, everyone had cloth masks.

I suspect that those still using disposable masks are putting them in their waste bins. The virus particles will only last a relatively short time away from a human host. and there will not be enough human tissue on them to lead to the proliferation of bacteria, so it is probably no more dangerous thn disposing of paper tissue you have blown your nose into.

Sallywally1 Mon 13-Dec-21 06:25:22

As a side issue I am beginning to worry about the enormous amount of pollution with discarded face masks and surely they are a health hazard too and should be classed as clinical waste like in hospitals and other health settings? I am not opposed to wearing them by the way, but like everything with this government no arrangements were made to address the issue of dealing with the used masks.

Whiff Mon 13-Dec-21 06:08:19

People keep saying they want to be normal. But normal is different for everyone. Before Covid my normal was only going out if I was well enough and always with my walking stick and my backpack for my shopping.

Since Covid last year my normal is now face mask on before I leave home if I am well enough. Walking stick and backpack. Gelling my hands before and after going in a shop. Only touching what I am buying. Keeping my distance if anyone stands next to me I move if I can if not I ask them to stand back . No one has objected yet. My mask doesn't come off until I get home. Then hands are washed as soon as I am in.

Every ones normal is different. But since Covid there is a basic normal for those that can. Have all 3 Covid jabs and flu one. Wear a mask,gel hands and keep our distance . We have to protect those people who can't have the jabs or wear a mask for medical reasons.

I am of an age I remember whopping cough,measles, polio and TB killing people. My parents made sure we had all our vaccines including the dreaded Smallpox one.

Everyone one is unique so there is no normal. I know a lot of you will now be jumping up and down saying there is.

rosie1959 Mon 13-Dec-21 05:02:28

I believe social distancing rules were dropped on the 19th of July although most of us still do it naturally in shops ect

M0nica Sun 12-Dec-21 22:38:11

I think some people actually do not realise that social distancing still applies. I was talking to someone today and they thought social distancing ended when the rules on masks went in July and was asking whether we had to social distance again now we had to wear masks again.

Rosie51 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:58:55

Well I'm holding out for normal. me too! I comply with all directives....mask wearing, LFTs, social distancing.......but I long for the day I shan't have to any more. I know some people have enjoyed the lack of social contact, and they are more than welcome to refrain from hugs and handshakes, but I'm tactile, I want physical contact with other people. To think that the future would always be a version of what we have now is too depressing. Thank goodness I didn't know in March 2020 that we'd still be like this almost two years later.

Nezumi65 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:44:22

Ha that’s true! I do think the level of incompetence being shown right now (& breakdown in trust etc) is increasing the risk of major lockdowns in the new year. Let’s hope omelette virus (as it is known in this house) lets us off the hook.

Alegrias1 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:40:27

Well I'm holding out for normal. We get the other stuff by not electing a bunch of self serving charlatans. But that's another thread wink

Nezumi65 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:34:08

It’s not normal, but it’s hardly the attack on freedom that others make it out to be. Mandatory vaccination is a different thing (I am opposed - even with a vulnerable son) but a lateral flows/PCRs, social distancing and mask wearing is hardly the major infringement on civil liberties that some would suggest.

I think it’s a pity we keep aiming for ‘normal’ rather than taking the opportunities for adjustments for the fairer society, better education, more investment in public services this pandemic showed us we desperately need, but that’s a different issue!

Alegrias1 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:22:41

she didn't

Alegrias1 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:22:04

Hetty58 said that she don't understand the wish to return to normal. Testing was one of the things I mentioned that we have to do now that I don't consider "normal". There are many aspects of our lives right now that are not "normal". Wishing we didn't have to do them, or experience them, is quite "normal" in itself, I think.

Even if the test took 20 seconds and consisted of spitting in a test tube, expecting everyone in the population to do something every day that might tell you that you have a deadly disease, isn't "normal".

Nezumi65 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:14:25

Alegrias1

Yes, and I measure my own INR with a much more "medical" and invasive test, every week.

However if you're trying to intimate that having to test yourself for a deadly disease every day before you go outside is "normal", we'll have to disagree.

It’s not normal - but it reduces my risk of killing others. With a severely disabled adult son my life hasn’t been normal for decades. Taking a 2 minute test is minor, no more difficult than cleaning my teeth and a lot easier than washing my hair.

Nezumi65 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:12:53

Georgesgran - I think many shops have said they are not going to enforce - too much abuse. I have some sympathy with that. The messaging from the Tories has been that this is about personal freedoms rather than protecting others. So why should someone paid bugger all deal with the fall out from that.

Some studies in SA suggesting that omicron affects infants far more than delta. Obviously we all hope that isn’t the case - in South Africa and here, although I will certainly be extra cautious around babies for the moment - but if that is the case then it may change attitudes towards mask wearing. confused

Alegrias1 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:11:47

Yes, and I measure my own INR with a much more "medical" and invasive test, every week.

However if you're trying to intimate that having to test yourself for a deadly disease every day before you go outside is "normal", we'll have to disagree.

Nezumi65 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:08:18

Taking a lateral flow is hardly a medical test. Diabetics take more invasive tests every day

Nezumi65 Sun 12-Dec-21 13:07:08

I’’m not frightened. I am however considerate of others who are more vulnerable than me. Such as my learning disabled son who has not been vaccinated despite us trying. If he gets ill he won’t be able to tolerate an oxygen mask either.

Masks protect others more than ourselves. Unfortunately half the government equate not wearing masks to being some sort of tough he man. Maybe if they reminded people the risk is to others there may be more mask wearing.

Alegrias1 Sun 12-Dec-21 12:57:34

Really Hetty58? You don't want things to be normal?

Well I do.

I want to be able to visit my elderly parents without worrying myself sick that I'm going to give them a dreadful disease.

I want to be able to have a cup of coffee with my friends without planning it in advance, giving myself a medical test and handing over my personal details to the server.

I want to be able to go to a Christmas Market without wondering if I'm too close to the person in front of me in the queue.

I want to go to concerts and plays again without being scared stiff.

I don't think any of those particular things contributed to the emergence of a pandemic, and I won't be giving up on the desire to do them again. And as for "there will be more"; well there's an asteroid passing near the earth later this week. Maybe we won't have to worry about more pandemics after all

Disclaimer; its not going to hit us but why look on the bright side? Let' all act as if we're doomed and just give up on any hope at all. angry

Hetty58 Sun 12-Dec-21 12:48:45

Alegrias1, I'm rather puzzled by your comment:

'trotting out the tactless "normal is gone forever" isn't going to help anyone, is it?'

Why the wish for 'back to normal'? Have we changed/learned/developed through our experience of a pandemic - or not? 'Normal' is obviously ideal conditions for the spread of a virus. There will be more.

Bibbity Sun 12-Dec-21 00:24:28

I didn't go but my company just had their Christmas party. Couple of hundred people in a Central London pub very drunk with a free bar and zero masks or social distancing, tests or proof of vaccines (some are not vaxxed at all)

Those few hundred people then traveled back Home to their residences all over the UK.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there is a spike soon.

Georgesgran Sat 11-Dec-21 23:24:48

I nipped into Gateshead MetroCentre last night and was staggered by how many people weren’t masked - especially younger people of both sexes. I felt that a recorded message could’ve been played every half hour as a reminder. Lots of security guards on patrol and I suspect had I pinched a potato from M&S I’d have felt their full force - but they just watched the maskless wander by without a word. I really don’t know what the answer is.

25Avalon Sat 11-Dec-21 13:41:12

I don’t touch any food unless I wash or clean my hands first

Caleo Sat 11-Dec-21 13:32:14

A mask is more hygienic then a much used handkerchief that you get from your pocket with hands that subsequently handle ice cream from the chiller.

25Avalon Sat 11-Dec-21 11:21:52

I went into our village shop this morning all masked up. As I went to pay some chap, with a mask on, comes and stands right beside me. I have never experienced this before as everyone stands on the designated waiting spot. Normally I am a quiet mouse in these situations and then end up agonising when I get home. Today I asked him to stand back, which he did, but obviously thought I was paranoid. I told him we couldn’t be too careful with the Omicron variant.

Mummer Fri 10-Dec-21 12:04:25

123gran

Nearly knocked off my feet yesterday by a woman reaching right across me to get something from a shelf. Actual body contact shoving! Why couldn’t she wait a few seconds or get it from the other side (albeit it would still have involved close contact).

And you did what? Let her? These type do EXACTLY what others let them get away with!

Mummer Fri 10-Dec-21 12:02:53

The point is that the olds are dying that much sooner than if covid were not with us. Nobody wants to go before their time and specially because some selfish piece of work causes their demise! Ok one could get hit by a (electric) bus at any time, but to die from some filthy 'erbert sneezing all over everyone?! Nope! Not fair.