Gransnet forums

Chat

Why aren't people social distancing anymore?

(101 Posts)
JaneJudge Tue 07-Dec-21 07:46:37

Ok My study is very small.

At work we are spread out but there are times when we cannot social distance if we need to physically work together on something or similar but for the main we are working 2 meters or more apart. No masks though.

Petrol station queue, everyone was less than 2m apart. varying degrees of mask wearing. Station on very busy A road (North to South)

Vaccination centre, the dots on the floor were not even 2m apart, let alone the people in the queue. All wore masks.

Sainsburys last night was quite busy, again no SD at all. Various people either stood right next to me or reach over me for things. No one even bothered to SD in queue. Everyone was wearing masks.

I don't know why I have added the mask wearing BUT isn't the most important thing to still social distance? Why are people not doing it? Why does someone desperately need to touch a blouse next to a T-shirt I am looking at or similar?

I know people may like to post what it is like by them wink but has the social distancing advice changed?

Rowantree Tue 07-Dec-21 08:03:22

I'm similarly bewildered. We continue to wear masks in shops and on transport and we socially distance but many others don't. Last week we, DD and her family went to GlowWild at Wakehurst garden and ate dinner early at a nearby pub. We were the only family eating outside ( there were inadequate heaters) but we had to order inside a very crowded pub where no one was wearing masks, were talking loudly ( more aerosols ) and we noticed much amusement and smirking at our masks. I felt very uncomfortable. Yes, we'd have loved to have been in the warm butbarrnt intending to risk it. I don't get why there's so much apathy.

rosie1959 Tue 07-Dec-21 08:04:45

I believe social distancing was dropped back in July
I don't go into crowded situations that often but in our local shops people still tend to keep their distance
But in social situations pubs restuarants ect this is no longer obligatory for obvious reasons

Rowantree Tue 07-Dec-21 08:05:36

I believe both measures are vital to stop the fast transmission of the new variant but people often seem to behave as though it's all over.

Kim19 Tue 07-Dec-21 08:06:32

I guess it's perhaps the triple jab which is perhaps encouraging a false sense of security?

nanna8 Tue 07-Dec-21 08:07:43

It varies here. Most locals wear masks but not so in some other areas apparently. The shops also vary but mostly they are pretty good.

rosie1959 Tue 07-Dec-21 08:13:04

Rowantree

I'm similarly bewildered. We continue to wear masks in shops and on transport and we socially distance but many others don't. Last week we, DD and her family went to GlowWild at Wakehurst garden and ate dinner early at a nearby pub. We were the only family eating outside ( there were inadequate heaters) but we had to order inside a very crowded pub where no one was wearing masks, were talking loudly ( more aerosols ) and we noticed much amusement and smirking at our masks. I felt very uncomfortable. Yes, we'd have loved to have been in the warm butbarrnt intending to risk it. I don't get why there's so much apathy.

Pubs dropped social distancing in July. Pubs restaurants needed to run at full capacity without restrictions to keep themselves solvent
It’s now down to personal choice It is not mandatory to wear masks in pubs

Josianne Tue 07-Dec-21 08:26:12

I guess in general humans have the sort of brains that try to block out the inconveniences and resrictions that are put in place temporarily. We move on quickly and revert back to usual behaviour. Most people never got to the stage where social distancing and mask wearing were their new normal forever. Clearly there's far more people bustling around in the shops this month and their minds are fixed on other things than getting out of people's way. Also the triple jab makes people feel they have done all they possibly can. Theresa May was right in what she said yesterday.

M0nica Tue 07-Dec-21 08:42:43

I think it is because keeping that distance is abnormal and while we did it with great conscienceness, when the pandemic started and every aspect of life was abnormal, as life returns to normal, we return to normal human practice.

I do not think it is done consciously - and people are not standing all huddled togetether and virtually touching, but space has closed up because it is instinctive to stand close to people.

Iam64 Tue 07-Dec-21 08:45:46

Yes, the advice on social distancing changed, at the same time as the CEV advice said we weren’t CEV any more but should continue to act as though we were.
Consistently inconsistent advice from our glorious leader

Daisymae Tue 07-Dec-21 08:45:53

I couldn't say as I don't actually go anywhere. My DD had to go to London at the weekend and said that you would think that there was no pandemic at Stratford, no distancing at all and s real scrum. Most people seem to consider Covid as about the same as a cold. Which is all well and good unless you end up in ICU. I am fed up with it all.

MerylStreep Tue 07-Dec-21 08:46:49

Teresa May was right in what she said yesterday Spot on.
What I’ve noticed now is that people are thinking for themselves particularly with with reference to Omicron.

love0c Tue 07-Dec-21 08:51:28

Teresa May is most definitely spot on! Amazing she can be so sensible now she is not PM anymore.

MerylStreep Tue 07-Dec-21 08:54:20

LoveOc
Aren’t they all when they’re not looking for votes.

Lincslass Tue 07-Dec-21 09:13:47

Unfortunately the only one that matters is me crowd, will do exactly as they please, and always have done. Nothing the gov says will alter that fact. No sense of community, the old and the young from where I’ve been shopping, no mask weraing, shops taking the ‘it’s not my job’ to deter non mask wearers, the Gov letting people print off their own exemptions, even if people are not really so, sick and tired of their irresponsibility, anyone getting close to me gets short sharp shrift.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 07-Dec-21 09:20:51

Because people aren't as afraid as you are, it's that simple. It's not natural or normal to distance yourself from others. Not everyone is in great danger from covid. My neighbour is triple jabbed her husband isnt, they've both got covid and are isolating but have spent three days in the garden putting up a shed! That's how ill they aren't!!!

Hetty58 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:26:18

It's so disappointing, isn't it, when people only comply (reluctantly) with 'the rules' instead of using their common sense (I'd like to believe that most people do have it)?

I'm hoping 'the symptoms', so woefully inadequate and outdated on the NHS website (just temperature, cough, taste/smell) are updated soon. Otherwise, people with Omicron may believe they just have a cold.

With Christmas, I expect an inevitable surge in cases by February, a busy time for hospitals every year.

lemsip Tue 07-Dec-21 09:29:03

I have always continued to wear masks and keep at least 2 metres distance...In the shops you are still asked over the tannoy to keep your distance from others.
Did anyone see the Lincoln Christmas market on the news the other day.....no distancing or masks worn. shocking disregard by the public.

maytime2 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:41:25

I live in Wales where mask wearing was never taken off the "menu". This didn't stop the number of covid cases rising. At one time, Sept/early Oct the number of covid cases per head of the population was higher than England's.
This does make me wonder if wearing masks is that effective.

CafeAuLait Tue 07-Dec-21 09:45:00

I think people are just 'over it' and getting on with living life. I do hope that people are still good about staying home if they have any symptoms of anything though.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 07-Dec-21 09:45:32

maytime2 I was in a freezing cold butchers yesterday everyone had masks on and you could see the vapour of everyones breath, masks just makes it look like you are behaving

Urmstongran Tue 07-Dec-21 09:47:44

I’ve been triple jabbed. I wear a mask when asked to but certainly not outside! That’s just daft in my opinion. I am aware of keeping a distance wherever I go. A sensible precaution. But we do need to be less frightened I think. Hospital admissions are not only down but (sadly) are mostly the unvaccinated in there.

That said if I had underlying conditions I’d be more wary. Each to their own. I’m happy with what I do to mitigate transmission.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 09:53:09

You're gas lighting, Biscuitmuncher, with your use of "frightened" and "afraid". Nobody wants to be seen as a coward. Some people would prefer to take sensible precautions to mitigate risk, but to suggest they are cowering behind a closed door in isolation is silly.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 09:53:48

maytime2

I live in Wales where mask wearing was never taken off the "menu". This didn't stop the number of covid cases rising. At one time, Sept/early Oct the number of covid cases per head of the population was higher than England's.
This does make me wonder if wearing masks is that effective.

There are other factors in Wales.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 09:57:10

Biscuitmuncher

maytime2 I was in a freezing cold butchers yesterday everyone had masks on and you could see the vapour of everyones breath, masks just makes it look like you are behaving

No! It would be unethical to experiment on real people in an enclosed space.

However, there is enough evidence to show that masks do prevent some droplets being propelled directly into people's faces. The fine droplets which escape from masks do linger in the atmosphere, but at a lower concentration than if people weren't wearing masks and, thus, the viral load is reduced.