Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Carols - Favourites

(90 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 07-Dec-21 08:26:54

It's probably been done before, but it's that time of year again, so.............your favourite carols please.

My absolute number 1 is In the Bleak Mid Winter, I love it.

Followed by Away in a Manger, preferably sung by 4 and 5 year olds, always brings a tear to the eye and evokes feelings of nostalgia

Silent Night - simply very beautiful

Over to you

Musicgirl Wed 08-Dec-21 13:47:34

Grandmadinosaur, I,, too, love the Zither Carol. As a piano and violin teacher nearly all my pupils are playing Christmas carols and l have introduced several to this very lovely Carol. My pupils’ all-time favourite would appear to be We Three Kings, judging by the numbers of them who want to learn it. While I really like most carols, my all-time favourite is the Sussex Carol. I can remember a weekly tv programme we had at primary school called Music Time, where a note on the stave was lit up as a tune was played or sung and this carol was taught there.

seacliff Wed 08-Dec-21 13:44:48

When I saw the title I immediately thought of In the Bleak Midwinter. There are so many lovely songs.

Our Ukes group have been practicing Christmas songs and carols for over a month now. One catchy one we're doing is Marys Boy Child, a bit different. www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmm1gt_2SkQ

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 08-Dec-21 13:33:33

Most of John Rutters work : best ever is Berlioz " The Shepherds Farewell ", and I, too, love children singing " It was on a starry night". Here in East Kent, however, the children often render the last line as " King of all the Weld ".I have a clear image of him in welding garb....

helgawills Wed 08-Dec-21 13:22:02

Silent Night, by Sinead O'Connor, beautiful

Twopence Wed 08-Dec-21 13:19:27

Definitely "It Came upon the Midnight Clear". Traditional tune or otherwise it's the words that resonate with me.

Alioop Wed 08-Dec-21 13:11:15

O Holy Night, it's lovely

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 08-Dec-21 12:57:57

Anything sung by Il Divo gives me goosebumps!

effalump Wed 08-Dec-21 12:19:32

O, Holy Night sund by Il Divo. Gives me goosebumps.

Skydancer Wed 08-Dec-21 12:00:05

O Holy Night
In the Bleak Midwinter
Oh Come All Ye Faithful

Sheian62 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:58:54

The Angel Gabriel from Heaven came or
Mary Did you Know

Janetashbolt Wed 08-Dec-21 11:49:38

I was angel Gabirel in the school nativity play when I was 7, sang Away in a Manger so my favourite carol. I'm 68 now.

GrammarGrandma Wed 08-Dec-21 11:46:15

Personent Hodie for me too! I find Away in a Manger a bit cloying.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 08-Dec-21 09:45:29

My apologies for misunderstanding your post Lauren and well done for your good work.

Witzend Wed 08-Dec-21 09:14:51

Lauren59

Germanshepherdsmum

Lauren, I wish you hadn’t said that. An animal in desperate need of help spoiling your enjoyment of a Christmas carol? Where’s your humanity? Sorry to derail and bring a sour note to the thread but as an animal lover I couldn’t ignore it.

I really don’t see how anyone could misunderstand my post!

My point was that the carol is now associated in my mind with the image of the dog, which is distressing. I wasn’t complaining about it.

I am an animal lover myself and volunteer for groups that feed stray cats and foster homeless dogs. I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone! shock

I for one understood what you meant, Lauren59.

Witzend Wed 08-Dec-21 09:13:56

I always loved O Come O Come Emmanuel, since it was the first we always sang in school assembly after the beginning of Advent. It meant Christmas was coming!

Nannytopsy Wed 08-Dec-21 05:23:34

Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar and Oh come oh come Emmanuel. We sang the latter on Sunday!

Lauren59 Wed 08-Dec-21 05:19:07

Germanshepherdsmum

*Lauren*, I wish you hadn’t said that. An animal in desperate need of help spoiling your enjoyment of a Christmas carol? Where’s your humanity? Sorry to derail and bring a sour note to the thread but as an animal lover I couldn’t ignore it.

I really don’t see how anyone could misunderstand my post!

My point was that the carol is now associated in my mind with the image of the dog, which is distressing. I wasn’t complaining about it.

I am an animal lover myself and volunteer for groups that feed stray cats and foster homeless dogs. I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone! shock

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 07-Dec-21 19:47:28

Oh Holy Night, from Carols from Kings - beautiful.

Grandma70s Tue 07-Dec-21 19:42:16

Bethlehem Down is beautiful.

GrannyLaine Tue 07-Dec-21 19:34:24

BlueSapphire

The Harold Darke version of 'In the Bleak Midwinter'. And John Rutter's Candlelight Carol.

I also love The Candlelight Carol Blue Sapphire I had it played as a request on Classic FM for my oldest DD the day after she gave birth to her baby girl, close to Christmas.

Same DD married a few days before Christmas and walked down the aisle to "O Holy Night" It still moves me to tears.

BlueSky Tue 07-Dec-21 19:25:13

Thanks Lexisgranny! I too can imagine your great grandfather singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. How beautiful! ?

Luckygirl3 Tue 07-Dec-21 19:20:15

We have been singing The Bee Carol, which was the winner of the 2018 Radio 3 carol composition competition. It is based on a poem by Carol Ann Duffy. It is much more difficult than it sounds, s the 2 last verses have some challenging, but beautiful, harmonies.

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=904585719930814

Gin Tue 07-Dec-21 18:27:13

I love all carols but a new one for our choir this year is ‘Mary Did You Know?’ It is beautiful. There is a version on the internet but it does not to me sound so good with American accents, I prefer our choir version!

Witzend Tue 07-Dec-21 18:09:43

Greyduster

One of the gentlest and loveliest, I think - “Quem Pastores Laudavere”.

‘Quibus angeli dixere….’
We used to sing that at school!
A lovely one, but you hardly ever hear it.

Calendargirl Tue 07-Dec-21 18:05:54

joannapiano

The Shepherd’s Pipe Carol by John Rutter.. Anything by him. We love singing his work in our choir. Lovely melodious tunes.

I mis-read this as ‘The Shepherd’s PIE Carol’!

confused