Gransnet forums

Chat

Candles, what are your favourites?

(77 Posts)
Sago Tue 07-Dec-21 16:50:11

I’ve just gone to light my favourite candles as a distraction from the filthy weather outside.
One is a Diptyque lavender, a present from my lovely DIL the other is a Rathbones wild mint,watercress and thyme, also a present from DIL!
The Diptyque candle has only a couple of evenings left, the Rathbones months!
They both cost more than I would normally spend on myself, I tend to rummage in TKMaxx but I adore them.

What are your favourites?

Freya5 Tue 09-Jan-24 17:19:32

Sand and Fog, tkmaxx when they are in. Otherwise Aldi hotel collection, their pomegranate smells like the overpriced Jo Malone.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Jan-24 13:39:45

Battery candles and diffusers here. I’m not a fan of scented candles anymore.

Tenko Tue 09-Jan-24 13:28:46

I love a scented candle and my dh and dc buy me Jo Malone or Diptyque Ambre for Christmas or birthdays .yes they’re expensive but they last for ages and don’t have a nasty synthetic smell .
For Christmas JM pine and eucalyptus is lovely and fresh .I’m not a fan of cloves which many Christmas candles smell of. And in the summer Red Roses is floral but not cloying .

When I’m buying for myself or as presents ,
I have several friends who make and sell soya wax candles at craft fairs and I always support them . I bought some recently from a company called limelight@bath .

Davida1968 Tue 09-Jan-24 12:30:56

No more "real" candles for us - just the battery ones, in which we use rechargeable batteries. We have the larger size candles with a "wobbly flame". They look very realistic and are no hassle. (Each to their own!)

hollysteers Tue 09-Jan-24 11:15:30

Ziplok

I’ve just looked up the trudon candles. Lovely though I’m sure they are, £500 for a large candle is a lot of money to spend, but I suppose if you have the cash to spare and want one, then go ahead and buy one. I couldn’t afford that kind of money myself, however. I’d struggle to spend £40 for their smallest candle, too, to be honest.

I paid nowhere near £500 for my Trudon candle and wouldn’t!
Reasonably expensive yes, but not as much as that.😳

RosiesMaw Mon 08-Jan-24 22:09:36

I had never heard of these and am sure they are not what OP and the majority of candle lovers had in mind.
Easy to argue against extremes.

Ziplok Mon 08-Jan-24 21:58:27

I’ve just looked up the trudon candles. Lovely though I’m sure they are, £500 for a large candle is a lot of money to spend, but I suppose if you have the cash to spare and want one, then go ahead and buy one. I couldn’t afford that kind of money myself, however. I’d struggle to spend £40 for their smallest candle, too, to be honest.

PestyOne Sun 07-Jan-24 00:22:26

Scented candles are the only thing that I look forward to in our dank, dark & dreary winters (don't tend to use them spring & summertime).

I regularly buy Yankee candles - Christmas fragrance large jars purchased in the sales at half price last week 🎄🥳.

hollysteers Sun 07-Jan-24 00:17:57

I buy these for my DD. V expensive, but she has expensive tastes and is so difficult to buy for. I’d never buy them for myself, but at least I know it’s something she loves.

Attlee Sat 06-Jan-24 22:38:30

How funny, I have a clear memory of someone here extolling the values of Aldi dupe candles.
Not looking at anyone in particular 😉

Oldbat1 Sat 06-Jan-24 22:31:35

I use candles only during a power cut.

SORES Sat 06-Jan-24 16:59:06

this thread is a couple of years old !
I was taken in by the ‘filthy weather outside’
opening Sago, now we are still buying and burning
candles and nightlights, still filthy weather,

plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose

SORES Sat 06-Jan-24 16:54:10

beeswax, not easy to find now, I’m always on the look out,
craft fairs, etc.

Dee1012 Sat 06-Jan-24 16:09:52

Home Bargains have a range of candles by Wickford and Co, the Gingerbread one smells really nice and is quite long lasting too...less than a fiver!!
I always buy a few.

Theexwife Sat 06-Jan-24 14:25:30

Jo Malone candles are my go to gift for special birthdays when I want to spend about £50.

I would never buy one for myself, although they smell lovely I could not justify £50 to burn a candle that smells the same as a Lidl one.

Bella23 Sat 06-Jan-24 13:41:24

Oh dear what was said to me on another stream.ANOTHER SPOILED POST,not answering the question.

karmalady Sat 06-Jan-24 12:49:51

I never heard of diptyque so I looked them up, basically essential oils and `high quality` paraffin wax. I am surprised that they use paraffin wax, which is carcinogenic and releases benzine and toluene into the air. These gases have been linked to lung cancers and asthma.

For that price they should be using soy or stearin but profit comes first

Shelmiss Sat 06-Jan-24 12:36:12

My favourite candle brand is Neom, their Complete Bliss scent is lovely.

Patsy70 Sat 06-Jan-24 10:55:37

Absolutely Bella. Sago asked what were our favourite candles, not our opinion on how much to spend! We’ve all got different priorities, and if a candle gives us pleasure that can only be a good thing, in my opinion.

Bella23 Sat 06-Jan-24 10:22:13

I love candles, especially the one I got for Christmas, the Santa Maria Novella from Florence, DH prefers the Habitat one from Sainsburys £9.00.
Like some people like Rimmel lipstick, I am thrilled with Chanel. Each to their own and no one should be sneering at someone else's taste or what they can afford.

Spuddy Sat 06-Jan-24 10:16:33

We love candles of all sorts and have quite a selection!

Some as they are, some in jars etc. some plain, others coloured.

Some thin, tall, short! Little tea lights, huge fat things!

Beautiful they all are! And I love those in your photo!

Marmin Sat 06-Jan-24 10:14:13

Another Diptyque fan here. One tubereuse candle every two years is a treat we both enjoy.

RosiesMaw Sat 06-Jan-24 10:08:29

Fleurpepper

RosiesMaw

Not too hard to imagine, Fleurpepper if you are a discriminating person, you get what you pay for.

Ah well 'discriminating'

can have so many meanings.

How judgy pants is this, yet again.

I said, just my opinion. 150 quid for a candle makes no sense to ME. Fair enough.

1) the “judgypants” comment was not mine
2) sadly you DO get what you pay for in candles as in life. Cheaper ingredients like paraffin wax can leave an unpleasant after smell as well as being worse for the environment
3)I was not aware anybody was talking £150 candles. Diptyque are pretty high end and excellent quality and cost about the same (or less) as many people will spend on a meal, football ticket, or round at the pub.
Or indeed a gallop on a high horse

gwyneth28 Sat 06-Jan-24 09:52:55

I only use soy wax candles, I cannot stand the fumes from the others.

Fleurpepper Sat 06-Jan-24 09:47:01

But on this point 'you get what you pay for' is nonsense in this context. It is all about branding, name, advertising- same as for many so called luxury goods which appeal to a certain type of 'discriminating' person.