Gransnet forums

Chat

Candles, what are your favourites?

(76 Posts)
Sago Tue 07-Dec-21 16:50:11

I’ve just gone to light my favourite candles as a distraction from the filthy weather outside.
One is a Diptyque lavender, a present from my lovely DIL the other is a Rathbones wild mint,watercress and thyme, also a present from DIL!
The Diptyque candle has only a couple of evenings left, the Rathbones months!
They both cost more than I would normally spend on myself, I tend to rummage in TKMaxx but I adore them.

What are your favourites?

Grandmabatty Tue 07-Dec-21 16:55:30

I love the woodwick ones but rarely buy them. At the moment I have a Yankee candle, pumpkin spice lit.

tanith Tue 07-Dec-21 17:02:36

Im not a candle person, i just don't like the stuffy fumes they give out.

Blondiescot Tue 07-Dec-21 17:07:41

I used to love Yankee Candles, but I don't think they're nearly as long-lasting as they used to be. I've recently taken to buying the cheap Aldi version and they're ok for the price.

BladeAnnie Tue 07-Dec-21 17:14:53

I love woodwick too GrandmaBatty - Mr BA bought me one for my birthday last month. Lovely ?

Poppyred Tue 07-Dec-21 17:17:12

Home bargains make a lovely winter spice candle for 99p. Lasts a week and is perfect for the Christmas season.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:25:36

I love The White Company and Jo Malone candles especially the Christmas ones.

Visgir1 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:51:43

GrannyGravy13

I love The White Company and Jo Malone candles especially the Christmas ones.

Me too but luckily we have an outlet with a White Company and a Yankee Candle shop, so I can pick up all year round.
Jo Malone is a big treat candle.

JaneJudge Tue 07-Dec-21 17:54:32

People don't buy me candles, they do however buy my Mum candles and she doesn't like them...so I get what she is given. It is yankee candles at the moment. Some of them are quite sickly (we had waffles one which I can't really stand for long) but i have a christmas one going at the moment which is nice smile

BBbevan Tue 07-Dec-21 18:03:08

I have a large Jo Malone Basil,Lime and Mandarin, candle It smells just wonderful, but I only light it occasionally as I don’t want it to get used up.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:59:50

Spiritus Sancti by Trudon.

I buy it every year.

Mamissimo Tue 07-Dec-21 19:04:18

I love Branche D'Olive's Garrigue and use the diffuser and room spray as well as the candle. They're organic, subtle and last for ages. No cloying stuffy effects.

Witzend Tue 07-Dec-21 19:15:25

At Christmas I really like the M&S Mandarin, Clove and Cinnamon one. Nice and Christmassy, without being too overpowering or fake-smelling.

Jaxjacky Tue 07-Dec-21 19:19:16

I normally find them cloying, so don’t use them, I might try that one Witzend thank you

BigBertha1 Tue 07-Dec-21 22:20:12

I used to love scented candles but read that burning candles was bad for the environment so switched to diffusers. I'm wrong I suppose am I?

CanadianGran Wed 08-Dec-21 04:32:15

Do you have Thyme available in the UK? Their Frasier Fir is the most realistic evergreen scent, especially nice if you have a artificial Christmas tree.

I have heard raves about Jo Malone, but choked at the price when I saw one in a shop. I cannot justify spending that on a candle.

Flossiebo Wed 08-Dec-21 06:15:47

I have just ordered a candle making set so I can (attempt) to make my own!
I am very late to candles, only really started using them in the past 6 months, but I have been using Yankee candles because the seem to last longer.
Hopefully I can create some lovely smelling, long lasting beauties ?

NotAGran55 Wed 08-Dec-21 06:49:19

I love The White Company ‘Winter’.

IMO M&S Mandarin, Clove & Cinnamon is a very poor relation to it and I’m using the oil in the bath to get rid of it.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Dec-21 07:25:49

This made me laugh in this morning’s Telegraph!

Urmstongran Wed 08-Dec-21 07:29:48

Himself bought me a box of 3 Jo Malones years ago (before she sold the company). He nearly fainted at the till in Selfridge’s in the Trafford Centre when he was told the price. I hardly dared light them! Lovely but so expensive. We could never justify the price again, sadly.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 08-Dec-21 08:08:18

I love candles and love to put them on and also tea lights when it starts going dark. I have a Yankee candle advent calendar that I am working through.

M&S used to do a nice Christmassy fragrance one I think it was called winter frost but they haven’t done it for years.
I also like the festive spice fragrance ones from Next.
I’ve never tried Jo Malone but as it’s been such a lousy year I’m going to treat myself.

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Dec-21 09:14:02

I discovered Valentte candles in lockdown. They’re lovely, long-lasting, handmade in England from all natural ingredients - DH has asthma and some candles affect his breathing, but not these. They’re normally £20 each, but £30 for a gift box of three.

I’ve got a cardamom and nutmeg on order, which I’m hoping will be Christmassy.

Katek Wed 08-Dec-21 09:24:11

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir or Vanilla and Anise are my favourites. I do treat myself occasionally, but usually get them for birthdays. I also use Yankee Candies or Scentsy wax melts for everyday use.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 08-Dec-21 09:57:32

I love candles and I always treat myself to a White Company Winter scented one for Christmas. Otherwise it’s bog standard unscented from Tesco, always have several on the go in the darker months.

dadof2 Fri 05-Jan-24 14:47:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.