Gransnet forums

Chat

sleep problems problems staying asleep

(42 Posts)
lemsip Thu 16-Dec-21 04:43:28

sleep for a couple of hours then sort of come too and realise I'm actually awake. laying there as if asleep but conscious if you know what I mean
two hour blocks of sleep at a time. annoying......

Purpledaffodil Sun 02-Jan-22 09:03:04

Boots do an antihistamine type product called Sleepeazy. I find it works if taken occasionally. When DD was cabin crew they used to take Night Nurse for those nights when they had to be asleep at 7pm so they could be up with full hair and makeup done at 3am for an early morning flight . ?

Kim19 Sun 02-Jan-22 00:01:17

I don't drink tea at all but read somewhere that a brand called 'Pukka' does absolute wonders for inducing sleep. Might be worth a try?

bikergran Tue 28-Dec-21 18:37:54

Have thought about weighted blanket, but thought I would try my big fleece on top of the duvet first.

Tried it last night and slept much better, going to try again tonight, although I have just had a cup of tea a bit late, so will probably be visiting the bathroom at least once during the night.

midgey Tue 28-Dec-21 14:47:43

I have the same trouble as lots of posters. I have read that statins cause sleep disturbance, could this be the answer?

Scotsmum Tue 28-Dec-21 14:06:44

Fellow sufferer here. I like my silk eye mask and heated duvet.

I also use a lavender scented pillow spray from This Works to help me relax to sleep, but I know they also make a formulation for people who have trouble staying asleep. My SIL always brings back the mini sprays from his airline travels, that's how I found out. Think their January sale is on atm. Might be worth a look?

I have been wondering about a silk pillowcase - has anyone tried them?

Also, have just been gifted a Neo room vaporiser which is sheer bliss. I don't use it in the bedroom because we have the windows open year-round, but it's fabulous in the living room.

Ironically had a good night last night - most likely because I had next to no sleep the night before.

LullyDully Sun 26-Dec-21 21:50:20

I have been waking every two hours now for quite a while. Just like many it seems.

We have tea around 4.00. Someone said caffine is bad after 4. I am starting to drink decaf instead for that cuppa. So far I have only woken after 12.00 and 6.30 so much better than every two hours. .......watch this space.

Newquay Sun 26-Dec-21 20:46:25

Oh there’s so many of us “suffering “ like this isn’t there?
I woke at 2am and was mostly awake til about 6am. DH then told me it was 9.30-very unusual for me. Nodded off briefly end of afternoon; met a friend for decent walk after lunch. Am going to take either a Night Nurse tablet or a Nytol tonight!

Hetty58 Sun 26-Dec-21 20:11:38

I've had a Koala weighted blanket for a few years now. They are supposed to mimic a hug so make you feel secure - just like a thundershirt comforts a dog.

It certainly stops me throwing (or kicking) all the covers off, then waking up freezing cold. I tend to sleep on my side but turn over a lot. The blanket wraps nicely, so there's no air spaces in front or behind me. I do have to create a fold for my feet, though, to save them feeling squashed.

Farmor15 Sun 26-Dec-21 16:21:27

Photocrazy

How does a weighted blanket work please?

Not sure, but my mother always found she couldn't sleep well unless she had heavy bedclothes- blankets and eiderdown. Duvets didn't work for her. When we switched to duvets in 70s, I found I needed less sleep. With heavy covers I used to sleep very deeply but not necessarily rested.

They have been found to help autistic children too.

tictacnana Sun 26-Dec-21 15:46:40

I dread nighttime as I suffer from ‘night terrors’ and have done for as long as I can remember. In fact, everyone suffers but I can’t help it. These days l wake up crying and shaking rather than screaming which is better for others in the house but still exhausting and draining for me. BTW, I don’t drink so it’s not that but my OH thinks a tot of something might help as nothing else seems to have any lasting effect.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Dec-21 14:29:00

I've never needed much sleep - about five hours is fine. I always wake up after three hours, though. If I'm wide awake, I just get up and have breakfast, then maybe a little nap later.

If it's past five in the morning, then I always stay up. If I don't have at least one long walk, I sleep very little.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Dec-21 14:05:54

I think the difficulty is in the title itself
Having sleep in two hours blocks as an older person is normal and not really a problem unless you make it one by worrying about it because the more you worry the worse the problem will seem Stop worrying and accept that your sleep pattern has changed ad you ll find everything is fine
Sleep patterns are just that …..patterns which we can change or accept or worry about

Photocrazy Sun 26-Dec-21 13:58:37

How does a weighted blanket work please?

Cressida Sun 26-Dec-21 13:23:24

I sleep better since ditching the duvet and switching to blankets.

Have any of you tried Light Therapy? My daughter uses a Lumie Bodyclock alarm and it has made a huge difference to her. It mimics dusk & dawn which stimulate the production of melatonin. www.lumie.com

fairlyplump Sun 26-Dec-21 09:02:41

fall asleep no problem, wake every 2hrs sometimes after 1hr 30mins for a wee!! Every single night without fail. Would love to sleep for at least 4hrs at a time

Scentia Fri 24-Dec-21 07:08:29

Dottygran59
Not sure how to do a link but the website is.
www.kudd.ly
It doesn’t seem to have a . Co .uk thing after it.

Shinamae Thu 23-Dec-21 19:38:11

Scentia

Well the weighted blanket has helped me to stay asleep for a lot longer, I didn’t open my eyes once in the last two nights until 5.30am that is a miracle. It may be psychological, I don’t care, it seems to be working ❤️

I have just ordered one of those so fingers crossed it works for me as I am a very restless sleeper…?

Dottygran59 Thu 23-Dec-21 19:34:18

Scentia - thanks for the update re the weighted blanket - can I ask for a link to the one you bought please?

Looking at one for my DS - he suffers terribly from insomnia and am encouraged to hear someone I 'know' lol (you know what I mean I'm sure, I trust our Wise Grans rather than a review from amazon), finds it helpful

Kim19 Thu 23-Dec-21 06:25:08

That's great news Scentia. Hope it continues. Whatever the reason, I certainly like your attitude.

BigBertha1 Thu 23-Dec-21 06:16:30

I'm a bunny hopper too. Some news gets I get about 3 or 4 hours sleep in all.

Scentia Thu 23-Dec-21 06:11:21

Well the weighted blanket has helped me to stay asleep for a lot longer, I didn’t open my eyes once in the last two nights until 5.30am that is a miracle. It may be psychological, I don’t care, it seems to be working ❤️

Nonogran Fri 17-Dec-21 21:02:22

From time to time I take a Piriton antihistamine tablet 30 mins before bed. It’s the type of antihistamine that causes drowsiness & available over the counter. Ask your local pharmacist.
Helps me when I feel the need.
Worth a try?

ShazzaKanazza Fri 17-Dec-21 20:27:41

I have sleep problems. I’ve been awake since four o’clock this morning. Woke up and went to the loo and then couldn’t get back to sleep. Laid awake till six, everything and nothing going over in my head so got up. Been so tired today an looked after 2 GC. I sleep terribly if I go to bed at midnight or later so like to be in bed before 10.30 ideally. I’d love to sleep well and have a lay in. My kids think I’m nutty lol. They don’t understand it. My DH sleeps so well next to me grrr. Lol

Lovetopaint037 Fri 17-Dec-21 18:56:29

Go to sleep for about hour and a half. Wake up at 1.30 on the dot. Try to sleep but nothing until about 5 or 6 but then drift off and have been waking up around 8am but then go on sleeping until between 10 and even 11. Really fed up as wasting the day. I have had chronic insomnia for thirty years ever since the menopause. For ages I often couldn’t sleep at all or slept for about a hour and a half when it was time to get up. So tired and the quality of life really suffered. Eventually got some sleeping tablets to be used intermittently. This has helped but it’s a real pain and I am sure it is affecting my ability to think effectively.

MayBee70 Fri 17-Dec-21 16:24:55

I can’t function if I haven’t slept well. And that’s most of the time these days.