Gransnet forums

Chat

sleep problems problems staying asleep

(41 Posts)
lemsip Thu 16-Dec-21 04:43:28

sleep for a couple of hours then sort of come too and realise I'm actually awake. laying there as if asleep but conscious if you know what I mean
two hour blocks of sleep at a time. annoying......

Sashabel Thu 16-Dec-21 05:05:03

I know how you feel, lemsip. It's 5am and I gave up trying to get back to sleep at 3am this morning. I initially went to sleep at around midnight, but then woke up at 1.45 and after trying to get back to the land of nod for over an hour I just got totally fed up of lying there feeling wide awake so came downstairs. It's so annoying. I may try to go back to bed soon and see if I can get a bit more sleep

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 16-Dec-21 05:26:59

Same here, Good morning……..

Kim19 Thu 16-Dec-21 05:43:46

Hi! I'm regularly awake at this time. Just kind of learned to live with it. Do catch up tv or come on here. Wouldn't dream of getting up. Much too cosy. Different in the summer though. I' m right out there with the larks.

Scentia Thu 16-Dec-21 05:45:11

I rarely sleep for more than 5 hours and have been up since 3.30am today. I have just ordered myself a weighted blanket as I have such a busy day today and I am annoyed with myself for not sleeping longer, I will be dead on my feet today?
I will let you all know if the blanket works!! It worked for my niece’s daughter so I live in hope.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Dec-21 06:36:18

I very often bunny hop through the night, accept it stop worrying about it, it will be fine and apparently it’s normal as you get older and there is a lot about the 8 hours not being the be all necessity that we think it is

Gagagran Thu 16-Dec-21 07:50:46

I have no trouble going to sleep but always wake after 4 hours and then, like BlueBelle just "bunny hop (love that phrase!) through the rest of the in- bed phase. Always up before 6am and often by 5am. I seem to function on that so have long decided to just go with it as my pattern.

I read that it was only in the industrialisation of the work force that 8 hours sleep became regarded as "normal" (probably due to exhaustion?). In generations prior to that, it was normal to have two phases of sleep with often activities taking place after one sleep, followed by a second. There are many references to it in literature, journals etc and it seems that was the accepted pattern.

Newquay Thu 16-Dec-21 09:12:12

For years I’ve said I sleep
Like a baby-I wake every two hours! Although not for feeding but I do go to bathroom. ?
You get used to it sadly being permanently tired

AGAA4 Thu 16-Dec-21 09:29:14

My nights are getting more erratic with short sleeps and wakeful times.

silverlining48 Thu 16-Dec-21 09:36:39

Even using sleeping pills I still wake after an hour or so, and that’s how most nights pan out. I don’t sleep during the day either but seem somehow to cope.
I have a watch which shows my nightly sleep pattern and it Shows how often I have been awake. Too often.

Grandmabatty Thu 16-Dec-21 09:45:36

That's my usual sleep pattern too. I sleep for a couple of hours then wake, then repeat. I put it down to being diabetic but maybe it is just my bad luck.

Witzend Thu 16-Dec-21 14:35:06

Same here. I’m up and down a lot, loo, downstairs to make a cup of tea/cocoa, scoff a couple of mince pies, etc….

Betterlatethannever Thu 16-Dec-21 14:39:08

Same here,get to sleep ok but something wakes me up three hours later,then its just rubbish sleep where your eyes are closed but your mind is awake

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 16-Dec-21 14:40:01

Well at least (unlike Scentia) I don’t have to go to work, poor thing, it must be awful having to be alert all day.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Dec-21 16:58:00

Newquay

For years I’ve said I sleep
Like a baby-I wake every two hours! Although not for feeding but I do go to bathroom. ?
You get used to it sadly being permanently tired

Me too. And the dog’s as bad! It really tires me out.

Grandma70s Fri 17-Dec-21 16:10:47

These experiences all sound very familiar. Getting to sleep isn’t usually too bad, but staying asleep is impossible. Altogether I have about four to five hours broken sleep a night, if I’m lucky. I don’t remember ever having eight hours, but I feel good on the rare occasions I get seven.

I don’t get used to it. I feel awful after a short night, however often it happens.

MayBee70 Fri 17-Dec-21 16:24:55

I can’t function if I haven’t slept well. And that’s most of the time these days.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 17-Dec-21 18:56:29

Go to sleep for about hour and a half. Wake up at 1.30 on the dot. Try to sleep but nothing until about 5 or 6 but then drift off and have been waking up around 8am but then go on sleeping until between 10 and even 11. Really fed up as wasting the day. I have had chronic insomnia for thirty years ever since the menopause. For ages I often couldn’t sleep at all or slept for about a hour and a half when it was time to get up. So tired and the quality of life really suffered. Eventually got some sleeping tablets to be used intermittently. This has helped but it’s a real pain and I am sure it is affecting my ability to think effectively.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 17-Dec-21 20:27:41

I have sleep problems. I’ve been awake since four o’clock this morning. Woke up and went to the loo and then couldn’t get back to sleep. Laid awake till six, everything and nothing going over in my head so got up. Been so tired today an looked after 2 GC. I sleep terribly if I go to bed at midnight or later so like to be in bed before 10.30 ideally. I’d love to sleep well and have a lay in. My kids think I’m nutty lol. They don’t understand it. My DH sleeps so well next to me grrr. Lol

Nonogran Fri 17-Dec-21 21:02:22

From time to time I take a Piriton antihistamine tablet 30 mins before bed. It’s the type of antihistamine that causes drowsiness & available over the counter. Ask your local pharmacist.
Helps me when I feel the need.
Worth a try?

Scentia Thu 23-Dec-21 06:11:21

Well the weighted blanket has helped me to stay asleep for a lot longer, I didn’t open my eyes once in the last two nights until 5.30am that is a miracle. It may be psychological, I don’t care, it seems to be working ❤️

BigBertha1 Thu 23-Dec-21 06:16:30

I'm a bunny hopper too. Some news gets I get about 3 or 4 hours sleep in all.

Kim19 Thu 23-Dec-21 06:25:08

That's great news Scentia. Hope it continues. Whatever the reason, I certainly like your attitude.

Dottygran59 Thu 23-Dec-21 19:34:18

Scentia - thanks for the update re the weighted blanket - can I ask for a link to the one you bought please?

Looking at one for my DS - he suffers terribly from insomnia and am encouraged to hear someone I 'know' lol (you know what I mean I'm sure, I trust our Wise Grans rather than a review from amazon), finds it helpful

Shinamae Thu 23-Dec-21 19:38:11

Scentia

Well the weighted blanket has helped me to stay asleep for a lot longer, I didn’t open my eyes once in the last two nights until 5.30am that is a miracle. It may be psychological, I don’t care, it seems to be working ❤️

I have just ordered one of those so fingers crossed it works for me as I am a very restless sleeper…?