Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas memories..

(109 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 16:36:46

I have been thinking about the turkey in our house when I was little, and the fact that there was always a crisis or near miss with it, every year!
Wouldn't fit the oven, was pink in the middle when it had been cooked within an inch of its life!
Cracked casserole dishes, spilt fat... smile

AGAA4 Thu 23-Dec-21 16:44:21

I remember our turkey arriving complete with feathers. My mum was plucking it and I was watching.
I then had a severe asthma attack and ended up in hospital. Didn't know at the time how allergic I was to feathers.
Happy start to Christmas that year ?

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 16:45:53

Then there was the Christmas lights every year.
Finding that one mysterious bulb that held the key to the whole set working.

Calistemon Thu 23-Dec-21 16:46:54

We used to have a capon.

Perhaps turkeys hadn't been discovered when I was a child.

Kim19 Thu 23-Dec-21 16:47:00

This was my wedding day many years ago. Lots of lovely memories of the most wonderful family gathering. We started comparatively formally then when we stopped for a refreshment break it was turned into a Christmas party by our bestman and the resident band. Great time was had by all.

EllanVannin Thu 23-Dec-21 16:50:49

I can remember dad bringing home the turkey on Christmas Eve still feathered and head dangling down. He used to stand with the crowds at St John's market in Liverpool and wait until they practically gave them away grin Twenty five bob is what he'd paid for one.

Mum used to be ready in the back kitchen, newspapers spread on the floor her pinny on, sleeves rolled up and ready for plucking after dad had chopped the head off. After " drawing " and cleaning it went into the oven to do slowly all night before mum was up at the crack of dawn. It was always cooked to perfection and cooled down in the pantry until dinner was served. Giblets were kept for gravy, then the cat had a treat.

We had wonderful Christmas's. The " rare " front room was used with a big fire up the chimney, it was magic.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 16:51:51

Did you wear festive colours, Kim?
My friend who got married around now wore deep green, with a headband thing of ivy and berries. smile
It was lovely!

Lexisgranny Thu 23-Dec-21 16:58:12

My grandmother told me that the local baker used to fire up his ovens on Christmas Day and many people used to take their turkeys there to be cooked. I often wondered how they worked out which belonged to which family, not too mention the different times different sizes would take to cook!

Grannynannywanny Thu 23-Dec-21 17:00:19

I remember my Mum’s anxiety during Christmas week waiting for our turkey to arrive in the post from my grandparents in Ireland. Amazingly it always arrived with a couple of days to spare, much to the relief of my Mum.

My grandparents plucked it, wrapped it brown paper and tied it with string for the journey. Grandpa cycled 8 miles from their small farm to the post office with the turkey on the bike carrier. It travelled from there by train and then an overnight boat journey. One year it arrived with the brown paper soggy and torn and a leg poking out!

We didn’t have a fridge in the 60’s and my Mum paid the local butcher a nominal amount to store it for us till Christmas Eve. Looking back it’s surprising we escaped a dose of food poisoning.

Trisha57 Thu 23-Dec-21 17:01:34

My mum always had the turkey liver from the giblets on toast on Christmas morning!

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 17:04:41

Oooh, ergh!

GreyKnitter Thu 23-Dec-21 17:06:47

We got our turkey from a farm down the road - we lived in the countryside - when I was a child. On Christmas Eve I think, or may have been a day or two before, my Dad took us with him to collect it. It was only a small farm so probably no more than 50 turkeys all together. We only had a small oven and on more than one occasion my dad was found outside sawing the legs off to get it to fit in. Happy days.

MerylStreep Thu 23-Dec-21 17:16:12

Our Xmas dinner was a chicken sent to our local station ( Woolwich) by my mum’s brother a farmer in Leyton Buzzard.

Calistemon Thu 23-Dec-21 17:19:30

Trisha57

My mum always had the turkey liver from the giblets on toast on Christmas morning!

I used to boil them for gravy stock and my MIL used to hover around me waiting for me to drain the pan to take them away and eat them!

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 17:21:12

I think my dad may have eaten the liver.
Not the parson's nose.

Kate1949 Thu 23-Dec-21 17:28:06

Like many families we never had any money. One year my mother ordered a turkey from a mail order catalogue so she could pay weekly. It arrived in Boxing Day and someone had written 'Ha ha' on the wrapper sad

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 17:33:20

Did it have a turkey in the wrapper?
I'm hoping there was something?

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Dec-21 17:33:46

I used to love the giblets and I preferred the leg rather than the breast of the turkey. I think ours came from the local butchers but being in Scotland it would have come from a local farm.

Kate1949 Thu 23-Dec-21 17:36:36

Yes MissA a turkey but a day late.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 17:36:57

We used to give my dad the legs and dark meat.
I assume it was his choice.... never thought to ask. smile

Juggernaut Thu 23-Dec-21 17:58:48

My DF used to get our turkeys direct from the farm, feathered, heads still on, the whole shebang.
DF chased me around the house every year with the turkey feet, opening and closing them by the attached tendons!
The giblets were used for the gravy, but never the liver as DM said it made the gravy taste 'odd'. DF would briefly flash the liver under the grill and spread it on toast!
As soon as the turkey emerged from the oven, there was a race between my parents to get to the Parson's nose first!
One year, the Turkey was 'resting' on top of the fridge (does anyone here remember gas fridges? Ours was cream coloured, tall, with a lever door handle and the gas vent was at the back right corner of the top) when we heard a crash, and the dog and cat dashed into the breakfast room as though their tails were on fire. Us three humans ran into the kitchen to find the turkey on the floor, Mum's best meat platter smashed to pieces beside it, and cat and dog paw prints all over the floor!
We never found out who knocked the turkey off the fridge, the cat wasn't big or strong enough, and the dog (or so we thought) couldn't climb or jump that high.
Turkey was picked up, rinsed under a very hot tap, and served up as usual and was delicious!

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 18:02:45

grin
Did you also find one person had the wishbone in with their meat?
Was it saved to dry out out before snapping it?
What a strange old tradition, really.

Kate1949 Thu 23-Dec-21 18:04:44

We used to fight over the wishbone. There were 6 of us kids.

Grannynannywanny Thu 23-Dec-21 18:07:44

We had a pulley on the kitchen ceiling for drying the washing and the wishbone was left up there for a few hours till it dried out. Then it was pinkies at the ready to snap it.

Grandmagrim Thu 23-Dec-21 18:10:23

The Christmas pudding steaming and steaming and steaming and …………