Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning -Boxing Day ? ?

(79 Posts)
MayBeMaw Sun 26-Dec-21 06:09:54

Good morning all!
I hope everybody had the best Christmas Day they could and is ready for part two.
The healthy walk, reading one’s Christmas books at leisure perhaps, lots of lovely left overs and the ham still to enjoy?
Not forgetting those who might be finding it hard though - wishing you a peaceful day.
Hope you are enjoying the IoW Mick ?

Aldom Sun 26-Dec-21 17:57:34

Maw and MrsWoo I recognise that view!! It's the view from my dear stepdaughter's kitchen window. Maw you must be staying very close indeed to my family.

Witzend Sun 26-Dec-21 14:46:10

Too tedious to go into the whys and wherefores, but I spent all this morning back and forth between 2 houses, washing, drying and and ironing bedding.
I don’t usually iron any of it, but these were Special Circumstances.
All other adults and kids have gone for a walk - I’m now just chilling, and once dh is back I will be demanding about a pint of Buck’s Fizz. Can’t be bothered to get it myself - the wherewithal is outside somewhere, no room in the fridge.
Anyway, cheers ? all! Happy Boxing Day!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 26-Dec-21 14:35:27

Chrissielou?
We were in your position 23 years ago, it was a tough time but MissOops is now well.
Thinking of you all.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 26-Dec-21 13:57:54

Lovely to read everyone’s news. We had a quiet day, not what was planned, but we now have a LOT of food to be eaten/frozen. No matter, we will have a second Christmas when everyone is negative. Why not? Postponed not cancelled, said my son.
I have done the enforced Boxing Day walk, where it seemed the whole village had come out simultaneously. It was very funny, as if a buzzer had gone to tell us all to start walking. A lovely atmosphere. Time to heat up some leftovers.
Chrissielou. Special thoughts to you and your family.
To everyone, have the best time you can.

Grandmajean Sun 26-Dec-21 13:47:50

Sorry , hope this worksflowers

Grandmajean Sun 26-Dec-21 13:46:34

Thinking of you Chrissielou
I've been there. flowers

baubles Sun 26-Dec-21 12:54:26

Thinking of you and your daughter Chrissielou. flowers

Welcome MissElly. I have family in Co Wicklow as well as in Dublin. Missing them all.

Iam64 Sun 26-Dec-21 12:49:20

Good morning, damp, rainy and grey here in north Manchester and not cold enough.
Sago, I loved your photograph and the image of the horses and jockeys in antlers and Christmas sweaters. Middleham is a great place.
We had a relatively quiet day yesterday. Some family members home with Covid, older family members staying home to avoid Covid. Christmas with two excited children and a 3rd dog here was never going to be quiet. Feeling fortunate. Boxing Day is one of my favourite days in the year

mrswoo Sun 26-Dec-21 12:25:12

A very late good morning / early afternoon from a cold wet Newcastle. We had a lovely day yesterday - it was just Mr Woo and myself - although we ate far too much and suffered the consequences as a result. Lots of lovely presents but for me the very best present was speaking to my nearly 10 year old DGS in Scotland and hearing him say "you are very good". He is autistic and has struggled with his speech so it was a truly lovely.
Maw your mention of the Lickey Hills has brought back memories of growing up in Birmingham - and is that Moseley Park in the photo? Again, many memories, as our garden backed onto it too.

EllanVannin Sun 26-Dec-21 12:08:01

Good Morning All x
( though what's good about for me it is an understatement )

First of all after torrential rain/sleet last night, it's now still damp but the rain's ceased, I think.
Got up as usual and made myself the usual cup of builders tea, sat down and switched the TV on. It wasn't working ! No signal----so there's an aerial problem and I'll have to wait until some time next week if I'm lucky. Oh dear, no tele sad

When I was fiddling around making sure that everything was plugged in as it should be, the phone went and it was D in Oz. I'd already had video-calls from GS's yesterday so D thought she'd do her own call this morning, for 2 hours, but we had a good chinwag and interesting too as she does the ancestry, so I'm awaiting a long email of information from her.

No sign of D here though I'd rang her yesterday morning to see how things were with all the children and she'd said she was up at 03.30 yesterday chasing them back to bed and telling them that " he hadn't been yet " gringringrin so at 10 when I rang it was no wonder she sounded tired.

Anyway they'd all done very well from Father Christmas so far as I could gather, roller-skates, laptops, tablets, electric guitar, and clothes, you name it. I was hoping to see her if only for 5 minutes and to offload the stuff I have here for them as Ruby gets picked up later to be driven back to Durham and I've got her present here. Maybe New Year if they bring her again.

I so enjoyed my dinner yesterday and was comfortably seated before the Queen's speech. I actually remember her father's speech too, on the wireless. We had to be quiet at home for that. grin
My dinner was falling off the edges of the plate ! No wonder I had no room for any pud. Not even a stuffed raisin.

Good job I have the internet as I watched the news on IPlayer, so this will have to serve as my tele for the time being until I can get the aerial fixed/ renewed.

Still, worse things that people have to worry about ! Such as Chrissielou's DD and her forthcoming treatment. I send you my love, thoughts and best wishes for a good outcome.x

Thoughts too to those who aren't feeling too clever as it's not the best time of the year to feel low. flowers

Coffee time now and I'll switch the radio on at the same time as it's so quiet with not a soul about either. It's like Groundhog day-----whatever that is.

Stay safe everyone and if driving, take care. xx

LauraNorderr Sun 26-Dec-21 12:01:40

Christmas Day baby Gingster, how lovely ?❤️

ginny Sun 26-Dec-21 11:58:20

Late again, lots of clearing up to do.
Pleased to hear lots of you had a good day yesterday d sorry for all who’s day was scuppered or sad in anyway.
We were lucky to be with family and today we are all off to DD3 and family. Son in Law suggested that we take all the LFTs we have done over the last few days and string them together to put on the Christmas tree .
Wishing all a good day where possible.

Marydoll Sun 26-Dec-21 11:58:13

Just back from my sons' where we had lovely time yesterday. Lots of laughter and sibling rivalries coming to the fore, while playing board games.

Had a good laugh this morning, when DS asked if I had noticed the lights in our bedroom flickering and the lights dimming, last night. I said that I was worried his Victorian cottage may need rewired and could go on fire.
He has always been a prankster and it turns out he was controlling the lights from his bedroom, using the Alexa app!
I reduced his TripAdvisor review from 4* to 1 *
He would have been awarded 5*, but he forgot to give me the WiFi password and I couldn't get on GN this morning, when I woke up. ☹

I am sorry to hear of so many celebrations cancelled at the last moment, due to positive tests and those who are facing a New Year of serious illness. ?

A chilling day for me now, feeling a bit unwell, I think I overdid things over the last few days, but I have a lovely warm feeling in my heart. ?

Enjoy your day everyone.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 11:52:42

? to you MissElly this is a great thread to start us off each morning. Nice to have you join us from the RoI.
?
You can let us know each morning what weather to expect the next day over here!

MissElly Sun 26-Dec-21 11:51:53

I’ve just read back over messages. Chrissielou, I’m so sorry you’re facing a tough year. I hope that this time next year it will all be behind you, your daughter will be well on the mend and this pain will just be a memory.

MissElly Sun 26-Dec-21 11:40:22

Good Morning from a bright and sunny Co Wicklow, Ireland. We had lashing rain and wind yesterday which you’re presumably getting today! It made for a very cozy Christmas Day and today is perfect for a walk by the sea or up in the Wicklow mountains. All four offspring and their respective partners are home from abroad, we have no grandchildren yet but that’s hopefully all to look forward too. Wishing you all a very happy St Stephen’s Day as it is here. It has been lovely to discover Gransnet, a COVID silver lining smile

Maria59 Sun 26-Dec-21 11:37:18

Chrissielou thanks my thoughts are with you for the days ahead

hollysteers Sun 26-Dec-21 11:34:46

Good morning all from a cloudy northwest coast. Apart from my shoulder seizing up late evening, Christmas Day was lovely with DS and DD all mucking in with meal. We had to laugh when I finally managed to get out of my chair after a shoulder massage by DD and hobbled into the kitchen like Mrs Overall,
Good excuse for leaving the explosions in the sitting room and kitchen as they were..
DGD arriving today and shoulder easing up so can get going again,
Hope you are all having a nice time and thoughts to Chrissylou we would prefer these things to happen to us rather than our children.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Dec-21 11:34:38

Good morning all,, had a long, long day yesterday. Drove to my daughters, it took nearly 2 hours each way. Took her down two lovely dinners with everything she loved. Spent time cleaning up, sorting out paper work etc, had something quick to eat and then went home. Phoned her in the evening and spoke to the Carter, turned out she had thrown out my dinners because she didn’t believe in heating up chicken. So next year will I bother, probably. Sun is out so I am going out on my bike to blow away the cobwebs.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 11:32:51

I like the photo Maw a very atmospheric view for this time of year.

MayBeMaw Sun 26-Dec-21 11:11:40

Missed this!

MayBeMaw Sun 26-Dec-21 11:11:15

flowers and a huge {hug} to Chrissielou - we must not forget those for whom this is not a time of unalloyed rejoicing and to treasure the health and happiness of those we hold dear while we can. Bon courage - testing times ahead but you will be there to support and strengthen each other.
I decided that I am now old enough to do what I want to do, so I have ducked out of todays healthy dog walk ( Rosie is not with me to benefit anyway) and DDs , SILs and GC plus their dogs have headed off in the mist and drizzle to work off some energy on Lickey Hills while I sit looking out onto the garden and park beyond with a cup of coffee and GN.
I will put the roasties and gratin potatoes on for them in a bit, and have ironed the napkins for todays lunch so I am not being a total slob tchgrintchgrin

monk08 Sun 26-Dec-21 11:09:41

Chrissielou?

LauraNorderr Sun 26-Dec-21 11:02:36

Good morning from a bright, sunny Anglesey. We had a wonderful Christmas Day with son, very precious daughter-in-law and two littlies. Ate too much, played, laughed and cuddled.
A quiet one for us today with a walk along the beach and an afternoon snooze in front of the tv.
My heart goes out to you and your daughter Chrissielou. News you never want to hear and a big shock for you all. You’ll find much kindness and support here as you begin that journey.
Good wishes to all goodmorningsters
???????

Georgesgran Sun 26-Dec-21 10:48:26

?Chrissielou