Gransnet forums

Chat

Perfumes you've worn down the years

(157 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 26-Dec-21 09:32:58

With all the expensive perfume ads on telly at the moment I was just thinking of the various scents that have been popular across the years. As a very young adult I loved Anais Anais, then like so many people in the 1980s I adored White Linen. That smell would take me straight back to my early 20s. Then I wore Clarins Eau Dynamisante for years and now wear Light Blue by Dolce and Gabbana.

Esmay Sun 02-Jan-22 23:21:59

I like Anais Anais and just sent it as a gift to my best friend .
I used to buy her Laura Ashley - another favourite .
Is White Linen still available ?
I also loved Heaven Sent .
Agree -Diorissimo smells of Lily of the Valley .
I still love L'Aimant and Yardley florals especially Gardenia .
M and S do nice floral as well .
Shalimar is immortal .And I'm sorry that I've discovered Helveti -it's so expensive and addictive .

Happysexagenarian Sun 02-Jan-22 19:33:51

What a lovely topic, so many memories here.

I'm currently wearing Chanel No.5, it's my all-time favourite. I first bought it when I was 16 and I am rarely without it.

But when I fancy a change I also have the following on my dresser:
Blue Grass
Intimate
Eternity
Tweed
Youth Dew - found a big unopened bottle at my DM's after she died 20 years ago!
and occasionally I wear DH's Aramis Aftershave

Back in the day other favourites were:
L'air du Temps
Charlie
L'Aiment
Je Reviens
Lily of the Valley
and Brut Aftershave

hollysteers Fri 31-Dec-21 09:14:21

I honestly believe there are too many scents! Completely confusing. I would be quite happy with a choice of three: floral, musky and citrus. No choice and probably would have been quite content in soviet Russia (apart from the queuing)

nexus63 Thu 30-Dec-21 23:30:17

at secondary school i wore my grans perfume, yardley lily of the valley, at 16 i started work in a shop that was like a chemist but no dispersary, they sold perfume and i fell in love with tweed, panache and charlie red and still wear them, recently topped up my charlie red supply while shopping in tesco.

Rosie51 Thu 30-Dec-21 23:10:26

Today a woman whose perfume was just lovely apologised for coming too close to reach down something from a shelf. Whether it would smell the same on me I'll never know because I couldn't pluck up the courage to ask what she was wearing. I could kick myself. Very hard!

NotAGran55 Wed 29-Dec-21 06:54:01

?

FannyCornforth Wed 29-Dec-21 06:48:28

Thank you Notagransmile
I sometimes miss my pms as I don’t get the little bell ringing thing

NotAGran55 Wed 29-Dec-21 06:14:03

Fanny did you get the PM about perfume book? With the typo!

FannyCornforth Wed 29-Dec-21 06:01:25

Here

FannyCornforth Wed 29-Dec-21 05:57:36

After much googling - small piece of poo

FannyCornforth Wed 29-Dec-21 05:55:24

Dewberry was definitely Body Shop. As a teenager I bought loads of Bodyshop stuff as did my friends. I was a Dewberry girl, my best friend very much a White Musk girl.
They had enormous tester bottles of perfume oil on a round table, with big glass stick things with a glass ball on the end. This was the mid to late 80s.
I haven’t a clue about the rude meaning either confused

Rosie51 Wed 29-Dec-21 01:10:18

Mollygo

I wonder if that’s why Avon dropped it.

Having a grandmother and aunt who regularly had the Avon Lady I thought I knew most of their fragrances but don't remember Dewberry from them. I thought it was a Bodyshop fragrance. I have no idea of the slang meaning and think I'll refrain from a google search....

Mollygo Tue 28-Dec-21 23:55:34

I wonder if that’s why Avon dropped it.

25Avalon Tue 28-Dec-21 22:17:45

Mollygo

Does anyone remember Dewberry? It was so popular at the time.

Mollygo that name has a very unfortunate meaning in slang so I doubt very much any company will use it again.

Rosie51 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:18:00

I sort of recognise the name Mollygo but know I never used it. Was it one of the Bodyshop ones, or am I confusing it with something else?
Just remembered one my husband bought for me twice which I hated, and that was Opium. Much too pungent and heavy but he loved it on me. I had to be very blunt and tell him I'd totally "gone off" it, didn't have the heart to say I'd never liked it.

Mollygo Tue 28-Dec-21 17:10:13

Does anyone remember Dewberry? It was so popular at the time.

Rosie51 Tue 28-Dec-21 01:21:23

My earliest memories as a 10 year old are of Avon perfumes... Pretty in peach, Somewhere (my favourite) Elegance etc I've used so many since... in no particular order..... L'Aimant, Blue Grass, Madame Rochas, Beautiful, Youth Dew, Obsession, Chanel no 5, Anais Anais, L'Air du Temps, Arpege, Marc Jacobs, Angela Flanders (various, rather niche), Cerutti, Rive Gauche, Red Door, Ysatis.... I'm a perfume butterfly lol What I will always remember and take pleasure from, is a friend in 6th form school saying that I always smelled so nice and was known for always wearing nice perfumes smile I've worn perfume practically every day since I was 10 or 11 years old, and take pleasure in my reputation for that ( I don't have a lot else going for me so I'll grab that!)

Witzend Tue 28-Dec-21 00:43:05

honeyrose, I once loved Brut, too - in the late 60s it seemed expensive and sophisticated - to me, anyway.
Though in rather later years I will confess to having bathed our dog in Brut shampoo! We were living in the Middle East and he’d rolled in something utterly disgusting, IIRC a dead turtle, on the beach.
I bought Brut shampoo on purpose, thinking it might be overpowering enough to get the stink out, but alas it took a few goes, even though he was a very short-haired dog.

Mancjules Mon 27-Dec-21 23:37:07

Me too. Thought I was soooo sofisticayted lol. Loved the little black bottle.

storynanny Mon 27-Dec-21 23:22:21

Georgesgran, me too! Obsession every day since the 1980’s after I read that wearing the same perfume will always remind your children of you! It lasts all day
I’ve occasionally been tempted by Nina Rocco l’air du temps and victor and Rolf flower bomb but always prefer Obsession.
If I pull out a scarf from my drawer I can still smell the perfume on it after weeks

annodomini Mon 27-Dec-21 23:11:07

Ma Griffe for me too. I was amazed to find that my sister and both of my older cousins were devoted to it as well. Nowadays, I like Liz Earls' 'botanic' fragrances.

Nannytopsy Mon 27-Dec-21 22:23:46

Aqua Manda was recently available at Debenhams recently - loved it as a teenager! Rochas Femme but I find it too heavy now. Coco Mademoiselle was my favourite for years but changed on me. I wore Hermes Caleche when I got married and Hermes Twilly is my current favourite.
I always loathed Brut!

Beswitched Mon 27-Dec-21 21:56:21

I've just remembered India Knight Island Living. It was lovely but then discontinued.

Serendipity22 Mon 27-Dec-21 18:15:41

My son gave me a bottle of Ajmal he brought back from Iraq ( he was in the army at the time)

It was an oil consistency droplet opposed to a spray, very musky scent, I knew i wouldn't be able to replace once i had finished it ( in this country ) and so on holiday 1 year to Dubai, i got a bottle, now i use it sparingly because ive no intention of going to Dubai again to replace.smile

Tedd1 Mon 27-Dec-21 17:09:59

Oh my goodness, the memories are all flooding back. I think I have had most of these perfumes over the years.
I was given a Tweed gift set from the first boy I was in love with nearly 50 years ago. I still think of him on the rare occasions I come across it ( he left for another girl). Hay-ho.
My current favourite is La Vie est Belle. If it’s good enough for Julia Roberts………..