Gransnet forums

Chat

Time for new calendars and planners...

(49 Posts)
CanadianGran Sun 26-Dec-21 21:23:54

Doesn't it feel wonderful to start fresh with a planner or calendar?

On the fridge, we use one of the free calendars sent by businesses or charities. This year I think the Arthritis society calendar wins for largest daily squares and scenic photos.

For daily planner, I use a 'paperblanks' small blank notebook, that I divide into sections with tabs. I keep track of hours worked, bookgroup picks, things to do, holiday planning, etc.
www.paperblanks.com/en/product/journals/oceania/pb8114-2

What is your preferred method to organize, and any favourite calendars/planners?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Nov-22 15:30:33

I like to put my little planner by the phone.

Must see if I can get one this year, from The National Gallery.

Lexisgranny Thu 10-Nov-22 15:24:37

I have a 2 diaries - Google, then the one on my iPad. They talk to each other and to my mobile phone……….
But I still rely mainly on the wall calendar we have in the kitchen. It starts the year beautifully colour coded with immaculate entries, but by this time of year it is more “Well it’s not my writing, you must remember what it is, and what category is pencil?” However there is something very satisfying seeing a brand new calendar on the wall. This is something I don’t get when I look at the year ahead on phone or iPad.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 15:11:04

AmberSpyglass

I’m a bullet journaller - it’s actually changed my life, it’s incredibly helpful if you have ADHD.

What is a bullet journaller please, Amber?

Biscuitmuncher Thu 10-Nov-22 15:03:14

I love a wall calender and I always buy one with a dishy film star. This year its been Henry Cavill last year Gerard Butler

tanith Thu 10-Nov-22 11:54:01

No calendar for me it’s all in my phone.

Grandmabatty Thu 10-Nov-22 11:48:24

So many scam posts recently Toscalily

toscalily Thu 10-Nov-22 11:23:59

Grandmabatty Think we must have both reported at the same time smile

Grandmabatty Thu 10-Nov-22 11:19:36

Reported.

NelloTesse Thu 10-Nov-22 10:43:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JackyB Wed 29-Dec-21 08:55:09

I am totally digitised and keep everything on my phone. Am trying to get DH to use his so I can see when he has Doc's appointments etc, but he insists on a desk calendar which just fits by the phone on the sideboard.

We don't even have enough wall space to take all the freebie wall calendars with pictures received from charities and retailers. They are pretty useless if you don't know what today's date is.

No photo calendars with pictures of DGC this year. Shame.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Dec-21 08:08:13

I started writing up my 2022 diary yesterday - it’s my usual slimline week to view one and it’ll go everywhere with me for the next 12 months. I’ve tried using the calendar function on my phone and it just didn’t work for me - I find it easier to flick back in the book and to add to it, and I was getting alerts that I didn’t want or need. My diaries from previous years are all stacked up in a pile - they’ve come in very handy lately when I needed dates to apply for NI credits and pensions.

I like the routine of filling in birthdays and set dates and thinking of the year ahead. We always have a big wall calendar in the hall as well - Anne Taintor for the past few years as it makes me smile. I bought a new one a few weeks ago which I’ll be filling in just as soon as I remember where I put it. blush

bikergran Wed 29-Dec-21 07:43:51

You have all just reminded me I haven't bought a new diary(normally I will get at least 2 for Christmas) hmm not sure what happened there.

I think a diary is good for looking backwards for dates etc.

I shall pop across the road today (Oswaldtwistle Mills) and purchase myself one(might even buy a new pen) smile

Grayling Tue 28-Dec-21 22:41:49

Always have the Countryfile calendar in the kitchen. Order two copies - one for myself and one for a friend. Don't keep a diary - my late DH did and I must say I enjoy reading them as they bring back many memories. Maybe one day I'll start keeping one.

Blossoming Tue 28-Dec-21 22:22:18

I use my iPad and a Moleskine pocket planner.

Ali23 Tue 28-Dec-21 21:41:23

We have 2 calendars in the kitchen: one for who is doing what and when, and one for birthdays. Usually one is a country file calendar but this year we have a family photo calendar, which I will love looking at ?

Forsythia Tue 28-Dec-21 20:31:00

I can’t do without my slimline calendar in the kitchen but this year I’ve got another one too with photos of my new grandson on every month. I’m thrilled to bits with it.

Gwyneth Tue 28-Dec-21 20:30:39

Always use a diary which I keep in my bag. Don’t keep anything on my phone. Love choosing a new diary every year and putting the old one away.

Niobe Tue 28-Dec-21 20:22:54

I fell down the planning rabbit hole that is found on YouTube and ended up watching loads of videos about how people use their diaries, journals etc. I found out that some people deliberately remove the rings from their Filofaxes and use the binder as a cover for a bound notebook. It reminded me that I had a pocket Filofax with damaged rings which I couldn’t bring myself to throw out.
I use the deringed cover to hold a moleskine notebook in which I have constructed my own version of a ‘month on 2 pages’ layout that takes up about 1/4 of the notebook and over the year I will use the rest of the pages for various random tasks and lists. I like the Month to a view layout as that is similar to the calendar on the kitchen wall and I like its familiarity. I like all the pockets in my Filofax cover.

Teacheranne Tue 28-Dec-21 19:13:06

BlueSky

Used to and I agree it was more exciting, but now everything is on my iPhone, which goes everywhere with me!

And me! I love that it synchronises to my iPad so that whatever device is to hand I can see what I am doing the next day. I also put in regular weekly or monthly events for the rest of the year - and beyond!

Kim19 Tue 28-Dec-21 19:09:37

I've successfully managed to mislay my new diary already. Hunted high and low with no success. Huh!

CanadianGran Tue 28-Dec-21 18:42:15

I have to say DH takes control (in a good way) of the kitchen wall calendar. He has already transferred all the birthdays, and marked his January appointments.

I use my phone quite a bit, and my little blank book that I carry in my purse, but sometimes forget to add things to the kitchen wall calendar, which can lead to 'words'. According to DH, if it's not on the calendar, it's not happening!

It's a nice feeling with a fresh blank planner and calendar.

Peasblossom Mon 27-Dec-21 11:20:18

I like my Month at a Glance, in little squares on my desk. And then we have a joint one on the kitchen door.

Bit depressed at the number of medical appointments on it?

winterwhite Mon 27-Dec-21 11:01:39

What an interesting thread!
I have an A5 hardback 'journal' in which I use a new double page each week headed 'Wk beg 31 Dec' etc and use it for my To do list and keeping track of online orders. Then I have a diary for my ancient Filofax which I keep upstairs and a downstairs diary. Birthdays are in the calendar on my computer so carry on from year to year.

I like Lemongrove's system of a joint large diary for appointments, but know DH won't agree. His diary is his comfort blanket.

henetha Mon 27-Dec-21 10:39:21

I always keep a diary, otherwise I would never remember where I am meant to be. Everything gets written down.
I received two diaries and three calendars for Christmas, so no excuse for forgetting anyone's birthday etc.

lemongrove Mon 27-Dec-21 10:20:49

Have never kept a personal diary, and don’t bother about a handbag sized one these days but can’t live without a large diary on the coffee table which we put all appointments in, both health and social.It’s checked every morning.
I like the ‘newness’ and blank pages of a New Year to come but it soon gets full up.