Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh joyous day...

(58 Posts)
CanadianGran Fri 14-Jan-22 22:39:25

I discovered a box of chocolates from Christmas in a cupboard that DH put away...

What has made your day joyous?

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jan-22 07:47:33

That’s lovely ann I hope you have some better news and lots of lovely help x

Alizarin Sat 15-Jan-22 08:00:29

Yesterday I dropped into a very large Wetherspoon's in a different town from mine, for breakfast, and the lady serving me bothered to tell me that 'there's a fire at the far end which is really nice to sit by' and carried my mug to the table. It was a moment of unexpected kindness that touched me.

NotAGran55 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:07:40

My son and girlfriend had their offer accepted on their first property together ❣️Fingers crossed for them as it is a lovely little Victorian place in the most perfection location. They have worked and saved very hard, waiting patiently for the right place to come along.

Grannynannywanny Sat 15-Jan-22 08:33:04

I’m happy to have survived the night sleeping in an extremely cold camper van after the heater broke down 24 hr ago. When I went to bed the temp inside the camper had dropped to 5c and I zipped myself into a sleeping bag fully clothed. It’s now 1c outside and 2c in here ? I’m just trying to pluck up the courage to unzip myself and head for the facilities block for a long hot shower.

It’s got me thinking of the unfortunate people in society who are rough sleepers and sleep outdoors in all weathers every night. Not that I’m say it was anything like that. I’ve had the luxury of a bed, a roof and a locked door. I can’t imagine what it must be like to sleep rough. My heart goes out to anyone in that position.

Grannynannywanny Sat 15-Jan-22 08:47:03

absent I’m so sorry to read of your husband’s illness and the difficulties you are experiencing ?

Susan56 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:03:13

absent?

My moment of joy is that DD1 had a slightly better day pain wise and that DD2 seems to be finally over a nasty infection.We worry so much over our adult children don’t we and such a feeling of relief yesterday that they both had a better day.DD2 has been off work which is absolutely unheard of.

Another moment of joy is that DGD came for a sleepover last night.She is such a delight and brings such joy to our lives???

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 15-Jan-22 09:17:50

?*absent*.
My moment of joy was sunshine and a cloudless sky so I could get on with some gardening.

DanniRae Sat 15-Jan-22 09:19:58

Sending my love to you absent - I hope you are treated kindly today and Mr absent is as well as possible. Some flowers for you,
Best Wishes, Danni x

AGAA4 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:21:19

It was a joy yesterday to walk along the muddy paths that had frozen over so my boots didn't get too dirty. Glorious sunshine too.

DanniRae Sat 15-Jan-22 09:24:57

My best moments today were spending time with my adorable 10 month old granddaughter and her mum and dad (my son)
They had stayed the night and it was so lovely to have them here, especially when I got upset about a family situation and they were both so kind and loving to me. I cry so easily (am I alone in this?) and have tears in eyes now just thinking about how caring they were.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jan-22 09:29:45

Oh joyous day I ve just dipped in the North Sea it was a bit bleak but no rain thankfully and there were about 50 other dippers so it was a good laugh It’s a big growing movement with another group meeting at 10 am
I m home now for a shower and some hot vimto

Aldom Sat 15-Jan-22 09:38:28

Greenfinch

Not having to get up at 6.15 for the next 2 mornings !

Greenfinch Enjoy a well deserved couple of later starts. smileflowerssunshine

luluaugust Sat 15-Jan-22 09:47:03

So nice to have DD2 in our living room and a normal chat about her week.

Dogsmakemesmile Sat 15-Jan-22 15:27:19

I am full of joy at walking my beloved Ddog twice today having not been able to do so for almost nine months following a couple of accidents. His face when he saw me pick up the lead makes me beyond happy. I have been taken him out for a couple of weeks but only for a few minutes but we are now on some of our old routes. I am so grateful.

AGAA4 Sat 15-Jan-22 16:13:21

Thank you Canadiangran for a happy thread. I have enjoyed reading about all the happy times.

Humduh Sat 15-Jan-22 16:21:14

Neighbour fixed hot water after three days

poshpaws Sat 15-Jan-22 16:21:16

absent I'm so sorry for the pain you're suffering because of your husband's illness. I lost my beloved husband to Covid in May 2020, and was lucky that he had a very kind Consultant, who allowed me to be with him as he died. I find a very real comfort in having some almost life sized canvases of him in some of our happiest moments, on my walls. I kiss him every morning and evening, and talk to him all day, and I believe and feel that he hears me. If doing the same sounds a good idea to you, I hope that when your husband's illness reaches its conclusion, you can find the comfort that I do, by doing the same. I'm so glad you encountered that lovely lady. Such kindness from strangers means so much: possibly more than they themselves will ever realise.

In the spirit of the original post; my joyous moment yesterday was taking the dogs to help me give my horses a carrots treat session, and having my very nervous oldest horse (he was terrified of people when he was sent to auction) come and give me a whuffly "kiss" and allow me to fuss over him for a while.

Ailidh Sat 15-Jan-22 17:02:10

I found a beautiful and huge dinner set in the local charity shop yesterday, and went to collect it today, all bubble wrapped up.
Only when I got it home, 3 apple boxes full, did I remember that I'm moving house on Monday, and only had one small packing box spare. Got 40% in.

Got round to assembling a big box that I'd reserved for the printer. Here comes the joy..... The printer won't go in the box, so the other 60% of the set does, muffled in curtains. Real joy!!

Sago Sat 15-Jan-22 17:06:11

4 loaves of bread baked this morning, 3 for the freezer and 1 to smother with French butter and cheese.

Marydoll Sat 15-Jan-22 17:16:36

Today, seeing myy DD, DS, DIL, DGD and and SIL, all together in my home for the first time in nearly two years, due to the pandemic and me having to sheild.
The had not been talking to each other, so even more of a perfect day. My heart was fit to burst, when I saw SIL with tears in his eyes, when my wee granddaughter hugged him.

Marydoll Sat 15-Jan-22 17:17:30

PS, the bread looks delicious, Sago. You have spurred me on to put on in the breadmaker, ready for breakfast tomorrow!

Kim19 Sat 15-Jan-22 18:09:03

My most favourite film ever was on tv this afternoon. All other plans went out the window. Tomorrow will be catch up! Unless.............

Witzend Sat 15-Jan-22 19:28:31

I had a similar joyous day a couple of years ago, Canadiangran, when I found two ‘emergency present’ boxes of chocolates in the sideboard, around the end of January. Small boxes, but still…

Dh and I still have chocolates from Christmas, though - how we haven’t eaten them all yet is a mystery, but it could well be down to both of us feeling ‘off’ after catching COVID over Christmas.

Dogsmakemesmile Sat 15-Jan-22 20:09:52

absent I did not read your post earlier. I am very sorry to hear about your husband. I send my best wishes.

crazyH Sat 15-Jan-22 20:15:28

Ailidh, you could have had my beautiful RD Dinner Service. My children don’t want it - too old fashioned for them