Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite film/s, what are yours?

(70 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:14:10

I have 2 favourite films. They are Christmas films, but i can watch them on a hot summers evening, makes no difference to me which season I am in.

They are Home Alone 1 ( which is the Christmas film ) & 2 and Scrooge.

I am not particularly a film fan apart from those two.

smilesmile

Blinko Sun 16-Jan-22 14:12:39

For me it’s got to be Lawrence of Arabia, then in contrast, Witness for the Prosecution. It’s a Wonderful Life is on my list too. Oh, and The African Queen.

mrswoo Sun 16-Jan-22 14:44:30

Dr Zhivago
Brooklyn
The Railway Children
Field of Dreams

¹

Redhead56 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:22:08

The Shawshank Redemption
Home alone 1&2
Fred Astaire Ginger Rogers movies.

MayBee70 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:48:10

Last of the Mohicans. I was actually chatting to someone on Facebook the other night who told me that many of Jodi May’s scenes had been edited out. It never ceases to amaze me how I can now have a conversation about a favourite film with a complete stranger who lives on the other side of the world who not only loves the same film as I do but has information about it that is new to me. It’s one of the few films that I can watch over and over again.

Millie22 Sun 16-Jan-22 16:04:58

Pretty Woman
Dances with Wolves ...and the music is fabulous
The original Wuthering Heights

I did watch Sleeping with the Enemy a few weeks ago. The bit where she is on the bus after leaving him is such a yes!! freedom moment I always think.

annodomini Sun 16-Jan-22 16:05:17

Local Hero is the ultimate feel-good film. Denis Lawson masterminds the plot, being all things to all people in the little Highland community threatened by the proposed development of an oil refinery. Burt Lancaster plays the tycoon and Lawson plays him like a trout on the hook!

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 16:15:05

Kate1949
I can tear up even think of The Way we Were ?
Blinko
If I could only have one it would be Laurence of Arabia.

Severnsider Sun 16-Jan-22 16:19:35

Cinema Paradiso
Dances with Wolves
Death in Venice
Dr Zhivago

All my favourites seem to be 'weepies' - Can anyone suggest some films to cheer me up?

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 16:33:09

Severnsider
Home Alone certainly wont bring forth tears, laughter yes, laughing yes, tears no... hahahaha.

I watch it time and time again thinking they get away with it now. ( The 'tricks' that Kevin does to the 2 *badies - Marv and Harry hahaha )

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 16:35:08

Ohhhh here we go again, ive messed up my post.

Meant to say - They certainly would not get away with it now.

Kate1949 Sun 16-Jan-22 17:50:55

Me too Meryl so sad. Also the beginning when she sees him sitting on the bar stool with his eyes closed and says 'Hubble Gardner'. He was very handsome.

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 17:53:58

Kate That gave me the shivers. ?

geekesse Sun 16-Jan-22 18:06:53

‘Roman Holiday’ if I want a happy film, and ‘The Scarlet and the Black’ if I’m feeling more serious.

BlueSky Sun 16-Jan-22 18:19:39

The Godfather. A classic, I know many of the famous lines by heart but still watch it if it’s on TV. And the music just beautiful!

Ali08 Mon 17-Jan-22 03:14:26

'Kelly's Heroes' with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalos (I just know that isn't how to spell it, but hopefullyI'm close), Donald Sutherland...

'Home Alone'.

The 'Alien' ones and lots of sci-fi.

'Stargate' the original, 'Stargate Continuum' etc.

Kim19 Mon 17-Jan-22 03:23:47

Geekesse, do you really think Roman Holiday had a 'happy' ending? One of my all time favourites too but... I wish......

NotAGran55 Mon 17-Jan-22 04:09:36

E.T
Lion
To Sir With Love
Forrest Gump

Hiraeth Mon 17-Jan-22 06:11:07

Sleepless in Seattle ?

Lovetopaint037 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:49:23

The Shawshank Redemption
Gone With The Wind
Little Women ( the 1940’s version with JuneAllyson)
Singing in the Rain
Jingle All The Way.

pensionpat Mon 17-Jan-22 10:17:50

Witzend.

That film is The Big Short. I loved it. Also Spotlight, Wolf of Wall St, What Happened to Gilbert Grape. Too many to list. We watch very little on terrestrial tv. Search on Netflix or Amazon Prime. A film is our preferred viewing. Even if we’ve seen it before.

Blinko Mon 17-Jan-22 18:51:05

Another three for me: Field of Dreams, The Shawshank Redemption, Cinema Paradiso.

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:55:24

Kim19

Yesterday dream was realised when I found 'Paint your wagon' on telly. Sheer happenstance as I'd just come in from the garden for a seat and a cuppa and I did a channel hop. Bingo. It's the most moralistic yet lighthearted fun film I've ever seen and I would seriously recommend it to everyone. Oh yesssss......

I thought I was alone !! Was scrolling through TV listings yesterday and found Paint Your Wagon - missed the first few minutes but sat enthralled all the way through it. Forgot how handsome Clint Eastwood was.

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:00:49

Very favourite film ‘Always’ - remake of A Guy Named Joe, starring Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfus, directed by Stephen Spielberg - I weep unashamedly every time I watch it. Runner up Breakfast At Tiffany’s - Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard. I think it was directed by Blake Edwards. Interestingly, Marilyn Monroe was originally the choice for Holly Golightly but she was persuaded that playing a call girl wouldn’t be good for her career !!

Anniebach Mon 17-Jan-22 19:23:17

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:00:49
Very favourite film ‘Always’ - remake of A Guy Named Joe, starring Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfus, directed by Stephen Spielberg - I weep unashamedly every time I watch it. Runner up Breakfast At Tiffany’s - Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard. I think it was directed by Blake Edwards. Interestingly, Marilyn Monroe was originally the choice for Holly Golightly but she was persuaded that playing a call girl wouldn’t be good for her career !!

At last someone who loves Always

Yammy Mon 17-Jan-22 19:36:06

Gone with the Wind,
Dr Zhivago,
Casablanca,
From here to Eternity,
Butch Cassidy,
and if I want a good cry Love Story, and A river runs through it with a very young Brad Pitt.