Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite film/s, what are yours?

(70 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:14:10

I have 2 favourite films. They are Christmas films, but i can watch them on a hot summers evening, makes no difference to me which season I am in.

They are Home Alone 1 ( which is the Christmas film ) & 2 and Scrooge.

I am not particularly a film fan apart from those two.

smilesmile

Witzend Mon 17-Jan-22 19:38:51

pensionpat

Witzend.

That film is The Big Short. I loved it. Also Spotlight, Wolf of Wall St, What Happened to Gilbert Grape. Too many to list. We watch very little on terrestrial tv. Search on Netflix or Amazon Prime. A film is our preferred viewing. Even if we’ve seen it before.

Thanks! I will look for it on Netflix.

Witzend Mon 17-Jan-22 19:40:57

I don’t usually like remakes, but have made an exception for Goodbye Mr Chips, with Martin Clunes playing the lead. What an incredibly talented actor he is.
I’d watch that again any time.

Witzend Mon 17-Jan-22 19:46:22

Ditto to Cabaret - the one with Liza Minelli (don’t know whether there has been a remake) - brilliant, with some truly chilling scenes of the run up to WW2. The Hitler Youth boy singing in the beer garden is just one that’s guaranteed to give me the shivers.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 17-Jan-22 19:54:36

All of Quentin Tarantino’s films, but Pulp Fiction has to be my favourite.

janeainsworth Mon 17-Jan-22 19:59:03

American Graffiti
Saturday Night & Sunday Morning.
Albert Finney?

Marmite32 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:04:09

Yammy your list plus - can't leave out Some Like it Hot.
When I was a teenager we loved the Abbott and Costello comedies and saw them all, at the cinema.
Plus Reap the Wild Wind with Kirk Douglas. Who was my pinup at the time.

Marmite32 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:09:04

ps - apologies, it was John Wayne. But I still remember the struggle between the hero and the giant octopus.

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:18:24

Anniebach

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:00:49
Very favourite film ‘Always’ - remake of A Guy Named Joe, starring Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfus, directed by Stephen Spielberg - I weep unashamedly every time I watch it. Runner up Breakfast At Tiffany’s - Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard. I think it was directed by Blake Edwards. Interestingly, Marilyn Monroe was originally the choice for Holly Golightly but she was persuaded that playing a call girl wouldn’t be good for her career !!

At last someone who loves Always

Beautiful performances from all concerned, the usual brilliant atmospheric direction from Spielberg and a perfect mix of humour and emotion. My favourite scene is when Pete is trying to communicate with Dorinda. “Smoke gets in your eyes’ playing in the background - she brushes her hair out of her eyes on his prompting and he says ‘ you’ll always be my girl’. Dissolve into tears every time !!

Anniebach Mon 17-Jan-22 20:21:30

? me too

Oasthouse Mon 17-Jan-22 20:30:15

The bridges of Madison County.
The last of The Mohicans.

Pammie1 Mon 17-Jan-22 21:00:31

Anniebach

? me too

You may have guessed that I’ve watched this film quite a lot !! It was my favourite film and also my late husbands’ - we watched it together at the cinema when it first came out and many times on TV. After he passed away, I couldn’t watch it for a while, for reasons which will be obvious to anyone who’s seen it, but took the plunge when I found it on Sky a few weeks ago and it took on a new and deeper meaning for me. A very understated and underestimated film.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jan-22 21:03:30

Digressing---Romeo and Juliet ballet now on Sky Art.

pea007 Mon 17-Jan-22 23:27:39

I very rarely watch films more than once but I can always watch

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
4 Weddings and a Funeral
Very Annie Mary
Private Benjamin
Oliver
Fiddler on the Roof

paddyann54 Tue 18-Jan-22 00:22:26

I love The Quiet Man ,and I'm not a John Wayne fan but its a great film,
Zhivago was brilliant I've seen it countless times I worked in a cinema when it came out so it was at least once a day for a long run of 3 weeks .
Ryans Daughter
The first film I saw with my OH was Freebie and The Bean with James Caan ,hilarious film
My favourite Christmas film is The Bishops Wife ,with Cary Grant ,David Niven and Loretta Young ,I watch it every year on Christmas eve ,it was my mothers favourite too

TerriBull Tue 18-Jan-22 08:40:07

I loved the first two Godfather films. A little known Stanley Kubrick film Barry Lyndon. Dr Zhivago and Ryan's Daughter. The English Patient.

Maggiemaybe Tue 18-Jan-22 08:57:36

The Godfather 1 and 2 for me. Whether separate or together in consecutive order as in the cd I have somewhere. 3 wasn’t anywhere near the same standard but still made me cry. smile

giulia Tue 18-Jan-22 09:22:07

The Best ofEnemies with Daid Niven and Alberto Sordi, who is best-loved actor in Italy but little-known elsewhere.

Witzend Wed 19-Jan-22 18:53:14

The old black and white Rebecca is another I’d always watch again.

Greyduster Thu 20-Jan-22 07:50:11

Another one here for Rebecca. And then….
The Prisoner of Zenda;
The Lion in Winter (Hepburn and O’Toole);
Guess Whose Coming to Dinner;
A Bridge Too Far (great casting);
Dancing at Lughnasa;
The Cowboys (John Wayne).