Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 22nd January 2022

(67 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 22-Jan-22 06:00:23

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry out here in brackley this morning .
Today , my plans are to go to Bicester via Buckingham ,and see how the scenery is changing with rail construction work.
I will have my usual Breakfast bap , which will see me through until later, when I will get a Chinese Take Away .
Take Care,
Mick

Georgesgran Sat 22-Jan-22 08:21:26

Good morning from Durham where it’s semi-light, but a decent day and 8c is forecast.
DGS1 is coming later for a sleepover, so I’m stocked up with plenty of fruit (I don’t eat it) as he’s a picky eater.
Pants talk of a cake in Betty’s makes me think a drive to Harrogate’s long overdue, so perhaps a treat next Friday - gets me away from the chaps transforming my garden.
Hope we all have a good weekend. X

Lins1066 Sat 22-Jan-22 08:26:06

Many thanks dragonfly and Urms there is much joy and relief here. Mum had a difficult pregnancy and caught covid in the latter stages.
I had to wait until 66 for my state pension too, nearly a year now and it made me so cross.

Beechnut Sat 22-Jan-22 08:26:40

Good Morning everyone from a not quite so frosty Severnside this morning.

I couldn’t get off to sleep last night so I went and made some hot milk and read some of the book I’m reading by Miriam Margoyles. Her description of some of her antics make me pull faces. I won’t say here as some of you might be having your breakfast.

My father in law used to make marmalade Mattie. He used Seville oranges and said his secret was to add one big Jaffa. I loved it as it was tangy and he always cut the rind very thick. He made a mean shepherds pie too. I wasn’t so keen on his bacon though. It was mostly fat with a nail size piece of meat which he was delighted with.

I’m going to see if I can sort out the top cupboards above the wardrobes today.

Stay warm all ❄️?

Beechnut Sat 22-Jan-22 08:28:27

Congratulations Lins on your granddaughter’s birth.

Georgesgran Sat 22-Jan-22 08:35:51

Lins - congratulations.

Beauregard Sat 22-Jan-22 08:35:57

Good morning all from Derbyshire, where we have a light frost and blue sky with pink stripes left by aircraft contrails.

I still haven't finished my painting project, so that will be this mornings task. I thought it was complete until I spotted the five drawers I had forgotten to varnish, which I had moved to another room out of the way for when our little grandson visited the other day.

DH will be watching the derby game too kittylester cheering on the other side! and hoping ?their woes off the pitch aren't matched by those on it!

Congratulations to Lins on the safe arrival of your beautiful granddaughter ?flowers

Have a good Saturday everyone.

Grandmabatty Sat 22-Jan-22 08:39:36

Good morning all from Polmont. 8° here already which is positively balmy. Lin's congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter! Lots of cuddles ahead. Grandmattie you are very industrious. I love marmalade and have toast and marmalade every morning for breakfast. I have made it but I found cutting up the peel absolutely tiresome. It took me forever. And it had to be done when still warm from boiling so my fingers suffered too.
Yesterday was a cleaning day that took me by surprise. I emptied the big hall cupboard, cleaned all the glass and windows and washed all the floors. I've no idea what fairy waved her energy wand over me, but it worked. Today I'll go to Aldi for some food and finish the housework. I intend to buy some storage boxes from Aldi and I'll refill the hall cupboard and get started on the spare room wardrobe. I have no idea what I'm having for dinner. Possibly a baked potato. Have a good day all.

Lins1066 Sat 22-Jan-22 08:47:53

Thank you all, it is so much appreciated xx - off to shower now.

Anniebach Sat 22-Jan-22 08:48:58

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Marydoll Sat 22-Jan-22 08:51:01

Good morning all from Glasgow, where its 7 °C.

GrandMattie, I had never heard of making marmalade in a pressure cooker. (I'm afraid to use them any way, in case I blow myself up!
I gave up making jam and marmalade in a jelly pan, when I bought a jam maker. Its hard work, making marmalade! The problem is, you can only make six lbs at a time.
At Christmas, I made whisky marmalade for all my neighbours, much to their delight. DH would love your cranberry one.

Yesterday was another full on day. DH did buy his new car, but only after a marathon and stressful session at the dealership.
Due to Covid, salesmen are not allowed to inspect the inside of cars to value them. An email was sent to DH while we were sitting in the dealership and he was supposed to open the link on his phone, answer the questions and film the car himself!
Link sent, but nothing happened. This may have been because DH is using an old phone of DS2 and refuses to pay for a reasonable amount of data! In fact DH doesn't use his phone, as I know to my cost!

Eventually, I took the phone from him, as nothing was working, the salesperson took the phone, but still no email.
I suggested using my phone, but initially was informed it had to go to DH's email address. In the end, the salesperson sent the email to my email address, took my phone and went out to film. Halfway through, the wifi went down, apparently because there is a blackspot there.
The dealer then used used her phone!

We went through all the palaver of costing it, when DH said, he wasn't being offered enough for his car (and in an aside to me, that he hadn't quite made up his mind anyway.) I could have wept, as I was feeling quite ropey and also very stressed, because DH couldn't hear half of what the salesperson was saying. I went into teacher mode and kept repeating everything she was saying, while making gestures that DH had hearing problems. Why doesn't he just go and get a blooming hearing test??
As we were about to leave, the manager came out and offered another £1000 in part exchange, ( because we have been going there for thirty years) they would pay for it's MOT and do it early, so that DH could keep his car, until the new car is delivered in March.
A result indeed.

Just as I came out, I receive a text about my future DIL's hen do. We have rented a country house with a pool and hot tub and are having a murder mystery game. This was to inform me of my role as Jane Doe, the grieving widow of the murdered victim. I found that rather ironic, as there had nearly been a murder in the showroom!

The next step was to track down my missing heart meds. The pharmacy couldn't find the script, neither could the surgery! I had already stopped one medication on the cardiologist's orders, but didn't have a replacement.
Then I received a call from the pharmacy, they had kindly gone through a batch of newly arrived scripts and had found it. They would dispense it immediately if I wanted to come for it.
I suggested to DH, that we go for a fish tea and celebrate his purchase, giving them time to dispense the prescription.
A good solution all round and really for my benefit, I wouldn't have to make dinner! ?
It got better when I arrived at the surgery. They handed me two boxes of lateral flow tests with my prescription.
I went home and promptly fell asleep!

DIL and SIL are coming to work on the garage again, having secured a slot at the tip. The only problem is that I haven't felt well enough to continue their hard work. I will probably get a telling off !

Time to go back and read the rest of your news.
Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery to all in the sick bay and prayers for those with sorrow in their hearts.
Have a good day folks.

Alygran Sat 22-Jan-22 08:52:11

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Frosty sunshine here.
Thank you for all the messages yesterday.
Congratulations Lins.
Lots of busy people on here today. I really should join you and do some cleaning.
Have a good day everyone.

NannyJan53 Sat 22-Jan-22 08:52:35

Good morning from an overcast Black Country, but a least no frost.

Lovely lunch yesterday with friends, and I manage to find sympathy cards for my Aunt and Cousins.

Today, a walk with a group around Baggeridge.

I had to wait until I was 64 1/2 for my SP, my friend who is only 2 months younger received hers 8 months after I did! It as been 4 years now.

Many congratulations Lins on the safe birth of your granddaughter. flowers

Have a lovely day everyone.

monk08 Sat 22-Jan-22 08:54:45

Congratulations Lins on your new granddaughter ? enjoy your cuddles.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-Jan-22 08:55:01

Congratulations Lins!

Nannytopsy I love your daughter’s name for the craft club, but I can understand why it wouldn’t be universally welcomed!

Thank you Ann for the photo of your Crown Derby pieces.
I especially like the unusual tall cats.
I have the little wren too. I’ve inherited (aka asked for) my late Nan’s RCD, which I bought over the years as gifts.
My owl is a different one, I will post a photo later on.

I don’t normally post my news, mainly because I don’t actually have any, but yesterday was a bumper day health news wise.
So I have decided to write about it here, as I’m sure that I will be banging on about it for one reason or another over the next few weeks.
First piece of Health News:
I had a phone call yesterday morning to let me know that I’ve finally got a date for any injection in my spine.
It is to free (that’s the plan) a trapped nerve that has been causing no end of pain down my right leg, and sometimes even in my face and behind my eye.
I had an appointment last year, but had to cancel it on the morning of the op because DH was admitted to hospital.
Anyway, God willing, it’s happening on Sunday.

Second piece of Health News: I booked an appointment for private physio yesterday.
For some reason, the entrance near to physio was not in use, so I had to walk (hobble and limp) all the way through the hospital. It was the furthest I’ve walked in months.
The physio, Jenny, was lovely.
To cut a long story short.
Jenny said that my hip was far beyond physio; that I need an X-ray pronto; and an appointment with an osteopathic surgeon ASAP for a hip replacement.
She has written all this in great detail to my GP, but it looks like I’m having to go private.
I’m not at all surprised, but then again I am, if that makes any sense.

In the meantime, I’ve got to get my life into gear. I must get a cleaner (which I’ve been putting off for ages) and I must get a scooter (ditto).

Sorry for all the me, me, me; but it helps to talk write these things down and share, doesn’t it.
So thanks for reading.

Wishing you all a peaceful and productive day.
Thoughts to all of those of us who are feeling sad, scared or poorly x

Pittcity Sat 22-Jan-22 08:57:23

Good morning from a frosty Colchester. The sun is shining.
Busy making up beds as we have 2xdgs staying overnight. Their parents are preparing a surprise party for the eldest to be held tomorrow afternoon. He will be 11 on Monday. The whole family had Covid over Christmas and New Year and so they want to have a big celebration now.

Congratulations Lins and much love to all ? x

Marydoll Sat 22-Jan-22 09:00:59

Congratulations Lins

Glad to hear that you have some positive news at last, Fanny.
I had a spinal injection to relieve the pain of a trapped nerve, after spinal surgery. It certainly helped.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Jan-22 09:03:13

Good Morning All x.
A "doing nothing " sort of a day, weatherwise. It's murky, greyish but dry and no frost and very calm. I did notice it was getting a bit lighter each morning though.

Just noticed it's creeping towards D's 61st b/day in Oz next week so must order flowers. I do it direct in Oz near to where she lives and they've always done a nice display of their summer flowers. A good service.

The sounds of the birds right now is lovely, with one having a rhythm of its own, 5 chirps, stop, then another 5 chirps grin I'd much rather listen to them than the news !

No sign of electricians yesterday and I'd been in two minds whether to wash what was in the machine but hadn't wanted it to stop mid-wash if they'd been here.

Making some mince pies later as I've got a full jar of mincemeat and a carton of Anchor ( which I use for baking ) Lurpak for crumpets grin
Must also make a delivery list for Asda, they've got a £10 off do until a certain date so that's a good saving worth taking up.

A bathroom and kitchen cleaning day too so I'll make some headway with getting washed and dressed first and get stuck in while I'm in the mood.

Hope one and all are in fine fettle and bursting with energy hahahaha.
Thoughts to those who don't feel so energetic and I hope the day goes well for you. Stay safe. xx.

Another good one from Matt by the way. Starts the day smile

dragonfly46 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:04:03

Gosh Fanny that’s quite a lot for one day. I hope you get everything done.

mary you must use the pressure cooker on your Ninja. I use mine all the time it is so easy.

Jaxjacky Sat 22-Jan-22 09:05:33

Gone morning all, 4 degrees in S Hants, it was bitter yesterday. Many congratulations Lins and much relief all round I imagine.
Thank you Urms, Matt made me smile ?.
As Imogen is now covid clear we will be visiting this afternoon to see the birthday boy, 9 today, I remember driving them to the hospital in snow flurries.
Saturday is newspaper day and football to watch later, my team kick off at 5:30. I love piccalilli Grandmattie only made it once and the house smelled of it for days.
Have a good day all. ??

AGAA4 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:08:54

Good Morning from North Wales.
How lovely Lins a new baby. You are blessed.
Feeling envious Pants I haven't been to Bettys for ages even though DS lives in Harrogate. I love their fat rascals.
I need to get out as I am a bit fed up with the same four walls.
Have a pleasant day everyone.

Serendipity22 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:14:00

Good morning from a flippin cold Yorkshire. I dont know what i am complaining about cos my son sent me a photo from his temperature reading in his car yesterday ( he lives in Canada ) and it was -30..... yep you read correctly, -30 !!!!

Today i am going shopping for ( amongst other things ) hair products and an alternative to milk. I will have a look in charity shops and then we ( myself and Mr S ) are partaking in lunch in a department store that always takes me back to the 1 i used to go in as a girl.

I cant think of many Department stores that are left now so i am looking forward very much to visiting this 1.

Errrrrr, i think i may also get some MORE material to make more drawstring bags, I love sewing.

Enjoy your day everyone.

smilesmilesmile

Sar53 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:16:20

Good morning from a sunny but cold Essex by the sea.
Food shopping shortly then the carpet shop for a few more carpet tiles for the boat.
We have been invited to DH's eldest daughter's for a Chinese later. They are off to Mexico tomorrow for a holiday with the other side of their family who are travelling from Argentina.
Congratulations on the birth of a new baby granddaughter Lins, enjoy your cuddles.
Have a super Saturday everyone xx

AGAA4 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:16:34

Fanny I hope you have your hip replacement soon. I am sorry to hear you have so much pain ?

Urmstongran Sat 22-Jan-22 09:17:06

From The Olive Press:

“MÁLAGA – From now on, there will be 34 fewer daily trains from Malaga to Fuengirola (32 fewer) and Málaga – Álora (2 fewer) lines. The cause of the cancellation of services is a chronic shortage of train drivers in the province.

After days of chaos, Renfe made the decision to reduce the number of trains running on the two lines of the local train service Cercanías in Málaga. This is a reduction of one third of the number of daily trains on that route. Earlier this week, the unexpected cancellation of trains from the timetable resulted in chaos. Until now, the line had been regarded as frequent and reliable. As a result, it has high passenger numbers.

The Cercanías line between Málaga and Fuengirola, stops not only at Málaga airport but also the popular coastal towns of Torremolinos and Benalmádena. The passenger numbers make it the busiest local train service in all of Spain.

Driver training underway

According to Renfe, the problem will be solved in the coming months if a new batch of train drivers successfully complete their training. However, Renfe is not making any promises, regarding the resumption of the cancelled services.”

On another note for us, re travel, apparently from MONDAY it may no longer be required to have Day 2 tests on return and a greatly simplified passenger Locator form for fully vaccinated travellers. Good. As Himself was saying all along “don’t tell me the bad boys and the duckers and divers put correct information on these forms!”

We will tune in to check - and Himself will leave our form filling till Tuesday - the day before we fly home. I think removal of all this red tape will encourage people to travel this springtime!

EllanVannin Sat 22-Jan-22 09:20:25

Many Congratulations to Lin's new granddaughter.Love to all. flowers wine x. Enjoy your visit later.