Gransnet forums

Chat

Camilla-Queen Consort?

(784 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Jan-22 09:38:51

Been discussed before, I know, but in the DT today, it seems that support for this to be the Duchess of Cornwall’s title in the fullness of time is ever more likely.

I, for one, would be pleased to see this happen. Princess Consort would be a silly title for the wife of the King.

I have never thought Charles will allow his beloved wife to hold an inferior title.

varian Tue 12-Apr-22 17:50:23

Grantanow

I just don't care. They already live such incredibly privileged lives that one fancy title or another is neither here nor there. We need to focus on things that matter like NATO, the cost of living, Covid and getting rid of BJ as PM.

I agree. With today's revelations, how do you think we can get rid of BJ?

Anniebach Sat 26-Feb-22 11:08:47

Agree Jaxie they even tell us what the family are thinking

Jaxie Fri 25-Feb-22 16:00:32

Can I draw our attention to the gruesome people, commentators on royalty, who appear on tv programmes mostly fawning but often coming out with nonsense that is pure supposition. It must pay quite well to talk tripe about people who can’t defend themselves. PS: I am a republican.

Mollygo Mon 21-Feb-22 23:00:40

Grantanow Good idea. Whatever Camilla is called won’t make any difference to the important matters you mention.

Grantanow Mon 21-Feb-22 15:19:46

I just don't care. They already live such incredibly privileged lives that one fancy title or another is neither here nor there. We need to focus on things that matter like NATO, the cost of living, Covid and getting rid of BJ as PM.

volver Mon 21-Feb-22 12:40:23

Ladyleftfieldlover

The last three Irish Presidents have been good. I can’t remember their names but two of them were women.

Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson.

Both did excellent work as Presidents of their country, as did Nelson Mandela whom I mentioned above.

I do believe that people think any president would either be a direct replacement for the Monarch, with the same responsibilities, or a Head of Government like Biden or Macron. Neither of which is true, of course.

Beswitched Mon 21-Feb-22 12:29:21

Yes but as Pres he is a apolitical and not allowed to interfere with or comment publicly on Government policy.

Anniebach Mon 21-Feb-22 12:09:20

The present Irish President was put forward for the election by
the Labour Party

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 21-Feb-22 11:58:54

The last three Irish Presidents have been good. I can’t remember their names but two of them were women.

Blossoming Sun 20-Feb-22 19:15:52

Every time this thread title catches my eye I can hear Freddie Mercury singing “She’s Camilla Queen” grin

As you were,

volver Sun 20-Feb-22 18:29:20

Nelson Mandela is generally considered to have been a good President, I think.

Anniebach Sun 20-Feb-22 16:52:18

Do name those Presidents grany

Grany Sun 20-Feb-22 16:35:50

Are all monarchies so good? There no such thing as a good monarchy. A president is elected, plenty really good ones.

Mollygo Sun 20-Feb-22 15:56:10

A president would have stopped Johnson . . .
Are all presidents so good? Like Trump, or Ceausescu?

JillyJosie2 Sun 20-Feb-22 11:38:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grany Sat 19-Feb-22 09:31:13

Clearly Britain loses more than it gains from the monarchy. Let us be brave and end it

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/17/britain-monarchy-end-royal-jubilee?fbclid=IwAR2r5E-r5zpnLMHLZytPDuTqVJ69Fvpo0gm1N6G5iBCl2Q1pxtewlawZ6L4

Grany Sat 19-Feb-22 09:29:48

The crown and constitution are no longer abstract debates. The need for an elected president has become urgent now Boris Johnson’s arrival in Downing Street tests conventions, laws and civil rights beyond their limits. John Major expressed that constitutional outrage eloquently on these pages, listing Johnson’s abuses: deliberately breaking international law; tearing up the ministerial code; ordaining police stop and search “without any cause for suspicion”; removing British citizenship at whim, while waging war against the civil service and the BBC, those national safeguards.

Our monarchy has handed all royal prerogative to the prime minister with no check or balance, bar a House of Lords almost as weak as the monarch for the same bad reason – lacking the authority of election. Look how Johnson engages in voter suppression: his proposals for compulsory photo ID and abolishing colleges registering their students will deliberately deter the young and poor from voting. Look how he moves to curb the electoral commission’s power to prosecute illegal political donations protecting his own party’s pelf. There is no brake on an errant prime minister in a country without a written constitution, where a warped electoral system denies fair representation and there is no effective head of state to guard against law-breaking. The unelected Queen must do what the prime minister tells her to.

The constitutional problem is not the monarch’s power, but powerlessness. Presidents around Europe protect constitutions and guard against overmighty politicians breaking basic law. A president would have stopped Johnson illegally proroguing parliament: it takes the authority of election to take action as a vital backstop in a constitutional emergency.

Beswitched Fri 18-Feb-22 21:21:27

I think Diana was definitely naive and innocent. But Meghan was very street wise and worldly wise when she agreed to marry Prince Harry. She may have got a shock when she realised the rigid protocol that went with being a member of the Royal family and I totally understood her wish to step back from it all.
But I don't think she and Diana were in anyway alike.

Pantglas2 Fri 18-Feb-22 20:42:09

Agreed about respecting different opinions but I’d never base mine solely on the confidentiality breaking gossip of an ex personal protection officer.

Suggestions that the Royals are dysfunctional because you side with Meghan/Diana seems daft to me given the gossip about the Markles and the Spencers.

JillyJosie2 Fri 18-Feb-22 20:02:53

Well pantglas, then you will come up with one opinion and I will have another apart from if I consult the ex personal protection office who told me a few stories. It's fine to have opinions, I just goggle at the vile things some people say on the basis of gossip about people they've never met!

Pantglas2 Fri 18-Feb-22 10:17:15

In the exact same places you found evidence of dysfunctionality of the royal family of course....read the books, interviews, articles, gossip columns.

It’s all there for those looking to find it.

JillyJosie2 Fri 18-Feb-22 10:12:40

Now where would I research that? grin

Pantglas2 Thu 17-Feb-22 20:15:54

“As for Meghan and Diana, I see them as alike in that they are both innocents dragged into a dysfunctional family who are incredibly rich, badly behaved, over privileged and unable to maintain close relationships with others of the sort that raises non dysfunctional children. “

Not sure that the Royal family is any more dysfunctional than either of their families - you might need to research that a little ....

JillyJosie2 Thu 17-Feb-22 19:48:11

Oh come on, evidence? Very few of any of us have incontrovertible evidence! Our view of the Royals, if you can be bothered about them, comes from what we read or see on the box.
Just Google 'who runs the royal household' and you'll get all sorts of gossip magazines, tabloids, interviews with former members of the royal household and occasionally one of them spills the beans (which they sign never to do when they join the 'firm') and then they get frozen out forever. I think one lady in waiting of the Queen did so and there was Paul whatisname, Diana's butler amongst a few.

I did once come across a female police protection officer who had worked with the Royals and she did tell me a few stories which I'm afraid I can't remember. They were partly about Charles and Andrew and how petty they are about their personal servants remembering all the little peccadillos of their existence. There was a story of Prince William being such a charming young man when he was underage but learning to drive at Sandringham. Oh, and in private, Charles has a fantastic sense of humour. Is that evidence? What would evidence be?

As for Meghan and Diana, I see them as alike in that they are both innocents dragged into a dysfunctional family who are incredibly rich, badly behaved, over privileged and unable to maintain close relationships with others of the sort that raises non dysfunctional children.

I did read the other day that Kate M and William are giving George the choice of being a boarder or not (unlike H and W packed off to boarding school at 8!) and that he's likely going to a co-ed day school so that Charlotte can follow him and then they are both going to Marlborough, Kate's old school.
Times change, how refreshing.

maddyone Thu 17-Feb-22 13:39:26

Not judgemental Petera just factual.