Gransnet forums

Chat

Fed up with the drab weather?

(106 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:31:04

It occurred to me today that it is only a couple of months or so until April, when the sail blinds go back up in the conservatory to reduce glare and heat???????

Kim19 Thu 03-Feb-22 19:16:51

Just spotted my first crocuses (crocii?) today. Wonderful. That's my bonus for leaf c!earing!

Dogsmakemesmile Thu 03-Feb-22 15:21:51

Mild and sunny here at times in the Scottish Borders. We have quite a few bulbs coming up. The snowdrops were out about a fortnight ago. Just found a bag of daffodil bulbs and have been rapidly planting them in pots before ddog returns to create havoc. x

Witzend Thu 03-Feb-22 12:02:32

Mild and sunny on and off here yesterday.
Gdcs were running round the park minus coats from 3.30 to gone 4.30. It still wasn’t cold when we took them home.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Feb-22 10:24:34

Really beginning to get to grips with the garden now - hoorah!

I love this time of year, when I spend hours planning. This year I am planting up an autumn border Aug/Oct. So asters Japanese anemones and rudbeckia are going in.

storynanny Thu 03-Feb-22 10:12:19

And it’s warm enough to sit outside the cafe for cups of tea, albeit in warm coats!

storynanny Thu 03-Feb-22 10:11:38

Definitely warmer here (SE Hampshire coast) this week although a bit drizzly overnight. The seafront ( not touristy) has been very busy with walkers etc

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jan-22 16:48:10

It was gloriously sunny here then, by about 9 am, a thick fog had descended. It lifted just after lunch so we went for a walk and it clouded over.

Witzend Fri 28-Jan-22 16:45:28

There was a most glorious sunrise here (SW London) this morning (I appreciated it all the more since I was still in bed) and half an hour ago in the car I was so very nearly blinded by the low sun, I will make sure always to take my sunglasses in future.
It’s been sunny virtually all day, but we had so many very grey days before.

Casdon Fri 28-Jan-22 15:11:36

This is a very odd winter for sure, I’ve been in the garden this week too, and I have a geum in flower - they don’t usually flower until May, and my snowdrops aren’t even up yet.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:26:10

?today is mild and sunny. In the garden beginning the big late winter clear up. And breath?????

Just saw a flying ant??

BlueBalou Fri 28-Jan-22 12:17:26

It was a lovely bright sunny start here then a thick fog descended and it’s decidedly gloomy now ☹️
I find it difficult tolerate extremes of temperature, it affects my breathing, so a nice medium suits me fine!

Maggiemaybe Thu 27-Jan-22 23:32:52

It was so bright and clear today, we both stopped and looked up at the sky when we had a sudden short shower of rain. There was just one tiny cloud right above us, which moved on pretty sharpish. It’s been cold though.

Witzend Wed 26-Jan-22 09:36:35

We have a guest from Sweden staying - it’s been grey and still - neither wind nor rain - every day since she arrived, but forecast to brighten up tomorrow, when she’ll be gone. Sod’s Law innit.

She’s not remotely bothered though - what she hates at home is snow that turns to slush and then freezes, with fresh snow on top, so that it’s lethally slippery underfoot without it being obvious. They’ve had too much of that lately, apparently.

karmalady Wed 26-Jan-22 06:50:23

volcanic eruptions affect world weather for the following year, the dust in the atmosphere

Its been very dank here too, in the SW. Not pleasant chirpy weather

hereshoping Wed 26-Jan-22 06:45:07

It's not raining. Hooray.

Jannicans Tue 25-Jan-22 22:33:27

It's hot and humid here in South Australia, don't mind hot but this sticky weather is horrible.

Edge26 Tue 25-Jan-22 20:35:25

Soon January will be a distant memory smile

BBbevan Tue 25-Jan-22 20:10:39

It has been dull and grey here for weeks, but not terribly cold. The daffodils are poking through the soil, the camellias are in full flower and there are fat buds on everything. I even found a mixture fig ( first one ever) on our tree. Spring is definitely on the way with the sort of weather I like. Not too hot, not too cold.

Thisismyname1953 Tue 25-Jan-22 17:19:38

Well we’ve not had much rain lately so that’s a bonus! I have to collect my DGD from school 3 times a week and it’s much better if it’s not raining ?

GreenGran78 Tue 25-Jan-22 16:21:44

I also survived the 1946 freeze, which was much worse!

GreenGran78 Tue 25-Jan-22 16:20:36

CountryMouse22. I survived that awful winter of 62/63. I was due to get married in July 63, and had moved to a rather grotty bedsit near my husband to be and my new job. All I had was a small gas fire, with an insatiable appetite for shillings. I made do with a hot water bottle on my knees, most of the time. Water froze in the kettle overnight. I don't know how I didn't die of pneumonia.
As for this year's weather....it's been quite mild and pleasant, most of the time, here in Lancashire. Its been dull today, but we have had some lovely sunny ones recently. I don't particularly like the cold, but I hate being too hot much more!

JaneJudge Tue 25-Jan-22 16:16:16

It has been a cold bones type day in Cambridge sad so dull, so cold and everyone so miserable

Callistemon21 Tue 25-Jan-22 16:14:08

Rosina

FannyCornforth a kindred spirit - I too am odd. I find heat intolerable, and feel so much happier when I can dress properly.

I'm Goldilocks - don't like it too cold and grey but don't like it too hot and humid either.

23C to 26C dry heat is just right!

MissAdventure Tue 25-Jan-22 16:10:25

Rosina

Ah -MissAdventure too - I might start a 'Frenzy Club' for us when the weather hots up!

There is usually a thread complaining about the heat.
Then there are the people who come in to complain about the complianers, telling us to make the most of it, and how much they love it. smile

I'd rather this weather anyday!

GrammarGrandma Tue 25-Jan-22 15:51:17

I went on my Nordic Walk this morning - just over four miles, 13K steps, finishing with coffee at a friend's house. Yes, it was cold and grey but the exercise got the blood moving, we saw fields, woods (and mud), sheep, horses and finally birds in her back garden, including a charm of goldfinches. So I'll take that.