Gransnet forums

Chat

How did you meet your husband/ partner?

(204 Posts)
Kandinsky Wed 26-Jan-22 09:17:19

Very boring for me ( met through work ) but a friend of mine is married to the mechanic who came to fix her car. Not terribly romantic either I know! grin
Just seems so many people meet their partner online these days it’s nice to remember how it used to be.

sodapop Wed 26-Jan-22 13:04:06

We met via an ad in the local paper Eastern Daily Press. That was 17 years ago and we have been happily more or less married for 15 years.

Kate1949 Wed 26-Jan-22 13:11:41

Mine said I had the best legs he'd ever seen. He still says it now. I have made him an appointment at SpecSavers.

nexus63 Wed 26-Jan-22 13:15:36

i met my first husband on the bus, he was shy and got on before me, one day i just sat next to him and started chatting, we married after 4 months but realised we got along better as friends. my second was an older guy who helped out at a community group, only ever said hello, someone told me he never had any food left on the friday until he got his giro on the saturday, i took some shopping to him, sat chatting all night and moved in the next day....he was 18 years older than me and we married and had 18 years together before he died and i was a widow at 39. i never thought love at first sight was true but we just clicked.

paddyann54 Wed 26-Jan-22 13:21:07

In a darkroom.he had just started at the studio where I worked and one of the guys had taken him into the massive darkroom to show him how to operate the machinery in the dark...then left him as a "joke" I heard him shout from the printroom and went to set him free .he bought me a Kitkat at break and invited me to a party at his house in the country outside Glasgow with instructions to call when my train arrived, We got married exactly a year to the day later .47 years ago,I should have said I was his boss ...I got a lot of stick from theother guys about cradle snatching he was 18 and I was just turned 20

DanniRae Wed 26-Jan-22 13:34:49

Oh, I am loving this thread.....Thank you Kandinsky!! smile

Calendargirl Wed 26-Jan-22 14:04:31

We met at the local disco, which was held at a nearby RAF camp. (Neither of us were in the RAF). He was also my friend’s cousin, and I thought he was good looking. I was 17, he was nearly 19.

This was 1970, Golden Wedding this year, abw.

BBbevan Wed 26-Jan-22 14:25:08

Met DH at art school. We were both 17. We were taken by a tutor to an old derelict farm to do some sketching. It was very spooky. DH bet me I wouldn’t stay there at night. So I did and he stayed with me.

LadyGracie Wed 26-Jan-22 14:34:44

We stared at each other for 6 months across a swimming pool in the Far East, both painfully shy, (not any more) he got tipsy one night plucked up courage to speak to me and that was it, married after 18 months and been together 51 years.

Judy54 Wed 26-Jan-22 14:35:42

On a blind date when we were teenagers. We have been together for 55 years and married for 50 years. Best decision I ever made to agree to that blind date.

luluaugust Wed 26-Jan-22 14:46:32

The boy who was running our youth club, about 4 years older than us, said a friend of his was having a party if anybody wanted to go. Come the night I had a cold but my friend said I had to go as her mum wouldn't let her go if I didn't. The boy holding the party became my husband. I was just 17 so there were a few ups and downs but we got there and now coming up 55 years together.

SusieB50 Wed 26-Jan-22 15:00:46

I met my DH when I was 18 at a party 54 years ago , just before I went off to start my nurse training . He was in fact going out with a friend of mine , and I was struck how he looked like my favourite Beatle George Harrison- he had the hair AND he played the guitar , what more could a girl want! We had fun at the party and we seemed to get on well . My friend and he soon parted and he cheekily asked her for my address ! It took a while before we met again as he was living 100 miles away, we exchanged lots of letters and eventually met again when I had a rare weekend off , but then he later moved to London and we became inseparable. We married once I qualified. We had ups and downs during our marriage , but it was never dull ! He died just before our 50th anniversary 2 years ago and his lively personality is greatly missed.

Greyduster Wed 26-Jan-22 15:05:20

I had just broken up with a chap who turned out to be an out and out scoundrel, and was pouring out my woes to a chap I knew through work who was a close friend, but engaged to someone else. He set me up on a blind date with one of his colleagues. I didn’t like him the first time we met. It seemed we had nothing in common at all and I couldn’t see how we would get on. I liked music, reading and, living and working in London as we did, spent a lot of my spare time in museums and art galleries. He admitted he hadn't read a book since he left school and had never been inside a museum or an art gallery, but he was nothing if not persistent. I thought I would call him out by inviting to spend an afternoon at the National Gallery with me, thinking that he would be so stupefyingly bored that would proved the point one way or the other, but he was made of sterner stuff (and then, of course, we found we had other things we both enjoyed!!). Seven months after we met, he proposed late one night in the pouring rain and I said yes. That was nearly fifty five and a half years ago.

1947Mercedes Wed 26-Jan-22 15:14:04

Met my darling when delivering his evening paper at his parents house. Been married 57 years

Redhead56 Wed 26-Jan-22 15:56:03

I met my present husband when I was a teenager he went to school with my brother in law he became a mutual friend. We all went for meals out football matches etc together.
I started courting my first husband and married him. Some years later while I was getting a divorce my sister asked me if I wanted a weekend job. Working for the mutual friend who I had not seen for years. I started working on the family business with him and a year later we married. It was our 25th anniversary last year.

Kim19 Wed 26-Jan-22 17:53:44

Eyes across a crowded room!

joannapiano Wed 26-Jan-22 18:04:05

He came into my Upper Sixth class at Grammar school when his family moved from the South coast. He got better A level grades then me and in 52 years he’s never let me forget it.

M0nica Wed 26-Jan-22 18:12:09

We met at the Sailing Club at university. So far so traditional, but it was another six years before we began to take an interest in each other.

We had both graduated, worked in London and DH rangup as he needed a crew for his sailing dinghy. After 18 months of being shouted at, sworn at and tipped into the river when we capsized-and giving as good as I got,(dinghy sailing brings out the worst in everyone) I decide if I could survive that, I could survive being married to him - and I was right. 54th wedding anniversary hoving into sight.

Kandinsky Wed 26-Jan-22 18:28:59

Really loved reading all your posts.
Thank you ?

Washerwoman Wed 26-Jan-22 18:35:01

Met DH when I was pulling pints in a family pub which I worked in at every opportunity in between training to be a nurse.He came in regularly with all his student friends from the Polytechnic. I knew he was a good one when I slipped on a wet floor and threw 3 half's of beer all over me and cleared a whole shelf of bitter lemons with my elbow. The whole pub erupted in cheers and laughter but he rushed around the bar and scooped me up.42 years later he's still caring and look s out for me and all his family.
A lovely thread !

Grandmajean Wed 26-Jan-22 18:35:40

While a student I had a holiday Jon as a waitress in a big hotel. He came on a bus tour age 18 with his parents. I never spoke to him. He wrote a letter to the hotel manageress asking if she would pass on a letter to the smaller of the two young waitresses. I answered his letter . He lived in England and I in Scotland but we corresponded and I went to visit 18 months later. Been married 52 years.

Grandmajean Wed 26-Jan-22 18:36:08

Job not jon

Sar53 Wed 26-Jan-22 18:36:49

My second husband and I met online in 2008. We lived about 50 odd miles apart and for the first two years only saw each other at weekends.
Long story short I moved to Essex to live with him in 2010 and we finally got married in 2019, this Friday is our third wedding anniversary.
When we first met we had no grandchildren, we now have ten between us. They are all lovely and all of them call us both Nan and Grandad.
After an unhappy first marriage I am now happy and content and cannot imagine life without him.

ShazzaKanazza Wed 26-Jan-22 18:46:54

My DH and I met at work I was already engaged. My MIL didn’t like me because I was with someone else but thankfully she grew to love me. We are still happily married after 38 years so I guess it was meant to be.

muppett1 Wed 26-Jan-22 19:01:24

After a bad first marriage I met my second husband in an operating theatre (where we worked!) on a Wednesday. We had our first date on the Saturday and he asked me to marry him after 3 hours. I said yes and we were happily married over 30 years until I lost him to cancer. I met my now husband via a dating site and we’ve been married over over 5 years and are very happy. I went from 1 child and 1 grandson to 2 more step children and partners and we have 6 grandchildren aged 3 to 25. Life certainly is busy!

Lovetopaint037 Wed 26-Jan-22 19:13:02

Met in the Lambeth School of Dancing ( we still can’t dance but did the chain waltz to everything) in December 1957. Had our 60th Anniversary in 2020.