Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 31st January 2022

(47 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 31-Jan-22 06:02:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but the ground looks wet outside so could be a frost .
Today, a nice day in nothing planned apart from some admin work.
Also a tidy up.
Nice watching GB racing to world champion cyclo cross on TV last night.
Take Care,
Mick

monk08 Mon 31-Jan-22 08:40:12

Good morning from the Black country can see movement on the hydrangea Bush so it must be windy, it really blows at the front of house but sheltered at the back.
Nothing planned like EV will finish the beef of today ours was nice and tender also.
Take care all and enjoy your Monday may you all find some ?.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 31-Jan-22 08:41:53

Morning Mick and all

We have blue sky here in S E Essex, it is very breezy also.

Having spent two days at DD’s new home, cleaning up the filth left by the previous owner we are all exhausted.

Not sure what I shall be doing today.

Keep safe and well folks ??‍♀️

Kalu Mon 31-Jan-22 08:48:31

Good morning all from Glasgow. I nipped out earlier to feed the birds, oh my, it’s bitter out there! Should be a bit calmer today but we will see the return of, what is now referred to as, storm Corrie tomorrow.

Thankfully I had moved my car away from the house as when we returned from our walk yesterday we noticed a roof slate had be blown off and landed on the spot where I normally park. What a costly accident that would have proved to be!

DD1 has someone coming later today to quote for a new kitchen which will involve knocking through to her dining room which is rarely used so some re jigging will give her a large dining kitchen and has asked DH to be there too. Belt and braces should she miss anything out.

I have an appointment at our surgery this afternoon to be fitted with a 24hr BP monitor as Ramipril meds haven’t stopped a few shockingly high readings of late. I assume the result will be to up my meds.

Pleased to hear your meeting with future DiL’s parents was such a pleasant outcome Marydoll. It does help when both families have a good relationship I think.

Hoping everyone has a good day.

Anniebach Mon 31-Jan-22 09:00:18

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Kali2 Mon 31-Jan-22 09:01:47

After 3 weeks of very bright sunny weather- snow blizzard today. Just as we are hosting a large group of archeologists from France and Switzerland! ah well.

EkwaNimitee Mon 31-Jan-22 09:27:54

Good morning Mick and all from sunny Carlisle where we have a cloudless blue sky.
I made it to the garden centre yesterday. It's huge, so much more than a garden centre. It got quite busy but it was noticeable that only a tiny handful of us were outside checking over the plants. It was the same when DS2 and I were here a fortnight ago. Whilst others were heading for the checkouts with bits and bobs, I was carefully steering a large trolley load of greenery and composts that way. Once outside, a kind gent helpfully unloaded the contents into my car for me. The benefits of being a white-haired old lady. Actually I am quite capable of hauling pots and composts about myself, it's all a question of technique. But I suppose I could overreach myself one day so I'm gratefully accepting the help.
It's a pity DS2 is no longer here, he's definitely better suited to digging planting holes than I am.
Today is housework and laundry day. It is also the start of firmly cutting back on calorie intake. The Christmas goodies and pub lunches with DS2 have settled round my waistline and I am feeling it. Some vigorous cleaning activity should help.
Wishing you all a good day.

Urmstongran Mon 31-Jan-22 09:28:56

No Matt - it’s Monday.

A late good morning everyone from me in south Manchester. Goodness, that was some fierce wind last night. It’s calm and indeed sunny here now! I’m eating toast with my favourite Scottish marmalade in bed. Himself has just brought it in to me. I told him “you’re a good man Charlie Brown”.

We’re meeting friends for drinks and a catch up at 4pm. We haven’t seen them in ages so I’m looking forward to it.

Enjoy the last day of January all who can. I’m going to read your posts now.

Mapleleaf Mon 31-Jan-22 09:35:37

Morning all,
A blustery morning here in South Yorkshire but bright so far. Not as windy as it was through the night though, and certainly not as strong as Friday night, thank goodness. I’ll be glad to see the back of these strong winds.
Coffee morning group today then when I return I’d better do some dusting and general tidying.
I’ll read the posts when I get back. Take care everyone.

Stilllearning Mon 31-Jan-22 09:39:35

Morning from a calm and bright S Lanarkshire, wind was howling when I went to bed late last night but it didn’t keep me awake!

My usual Monday is post school childminding but I’ve just had a call from DD to say 6 year old DGS has tested positive ( they test every week before I go in). They had just got a letter at the end of last week from the NHS saying he is on the list of 5 to 11 year olds who are recommended to be vaccinated as he had a major heart op when he was 2.
He is is showing no symptoms at the moment so please God he’ll be okay.

Off to distract myself. I had arranged to visit my sister and brother in law on my way to Giffnock today so I’ll go ahead with that.

Sending good wishes to all poorly and worried and wishing everyone a pleasant day ???

Blossoming Mon 31-Jan-22 09:51:39

Good morning Mick and everybody. Beautiful blue sky in my corner of Lancashire this morning, last night’s storm has passed, currently 6°C.

We had a good walk yesterday but a little too far for me at the moment, my calf muscles were cramping by the time we got home. The latest storm hit hard yesterday evening and raged through the night. It kept me awake but it doesn’t look as though anything has been damaged.

I have my DPP Zoom meeting today then hoping to have a shorter walk later.

Wishing you all the best possible day. May all those with worries find some comfort and all who are under the weather find some relief. ?

luluaugust Mon 31-Jan-22 09:52:32

Good morning all from a sunny but blowy W Kent. Tidy around first thing and friend coming over for coffee later. I think if it stays like this then I must try and get a walk in.
Good wishes to all.

GrannySomerset Mon 31-Jan-22 10:05:40

Bright and cold but not windy in my part of the world - we seem to have escaped the worrying winds which have beset those further north.

Need to turn my attention to designing DH’s thanksgiving service so that there is something concrete to discuss with the rector at the weekend when DD plans to be here to check up on me.

Otherwise more forms to fill in and post off with copies of various certificates. It’s never ending but in my own best interests. Who knew how complicated death can be? And that is before we get into probate.

My sympathies to Marydoll and the great wedding outfit problem. DS is remarrying at the end of April and at present rate of non-progress I would struggle to fit into a bin bag let alone anything in the wardrobe(s).

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 31-Jan-22 10:31:27

Good Morning all from bright but windy Harrogate.
Sorry to hear about your sister Gagagran hope she back home in no time.
The trees in your photo look quite majestic Ash hope they are safe in the winds.
Still not sleeping much at night - think my hyperthalamus has gone on strike. Got a doctors appointment for Friday (if I last that long)
Have the best day possible, folks

GrandmaSeaDragon Mon 31-Jan-22 11:49:45

Just in time for Good Morning! Now back home for a couple of days before returning to DD and DGSs and puppy. Son-I-L,now in Perth, has to quarantine for 12 days, without leaving hotel room, before beginning to sort out matters re his father’s death. Air con, no opening window but managed to get an exercise bike. I personally would find it extremely difficult not being able to breath fresh air for 12 days.

It’s good when your favourite sport comes on TV. Loved watching the Rafa match yesterday afternoon.

It’s very windy and sunny here now. I shall venture up to the allotment in a while and see if anything needs tying down and maybe do a bit of tidying. It will help.

Wishing you all the best day possible and hope the storms have not caused too much damage. I certainly don’t remember such strong and damaging winds in my 50s childhood, but then we didn’t have rolling 24 hours news (or indeed, a television at home till 1957)!

Urmstongran Mon 31-Jan-22 13:11:07

Just an aside ... I thought these storms were supposed to be in alphabetical order? We had Malik last Friday yet Corrie yesterday?? Can anyone explain?

Annaram1 Mon 31-Jan-22 13:19:47

Gramaretto. I too did the birdwatch and recorded 2 robins, 3 wood pigeons, 2 dunnocks, 1 great tit. Disappointed that my usual crow and magpie did not appear.

Jaxjacky Mon 31-Jan-22 13:23:06

Urms Corrie named by our Met Office, Malik by Denmarks.

Oldbutstilluseful Mon 31-Jan-22 13:24:27

I believe I read online that Malik was named by Denmark.

Blossoming Mon 31-Jan-22 13:26:26

The Met Office does use an alphabetical list of names, but if the storm originated in another country then that name is used. Malik had already been named in Denmark so that name was used, despite C being next in the list.

Urmstongran Mon 31-Jan-22 13:42:48

Ah thank you Jax Oldbut and Blossoming for explaining.
?

grandMattie Mon 31-Jan-22 13:43:10

Urms, I think it depends where and who named the the storms. I suspect one came from the west(is) Atlantic and was named by the Europeans and the other from the east Atlantic and named by the US.