Gransnet forums

Chat

The Down Syndrome Bill supported by Labour and Conservatives

(18 Posts)
Marmite32 Wed 09-Feb-22 19:08:37

As you say, Josieann, it all boils down to money.
That's when it becomes political, which it shouldn't do.
Our population know very well that the Tories have more money than Labour.

Josieann Wed 09-Feb-22 17:42:44

I think everyone knows they are all worthy, but the financial pressures facing adult social care and support for all children with special educational needs and disabilities are enormous. The money for some reason just isn't available.

Pammie1 Wed 09-Feb-22 17:34:00

Aveline

That would make it too general. People with Downs have a very specific genetic condition. I welcome this recognition.

But so do a lot of other disabled people - why are they not worthy of the same recognition of their needs too ?

Pammie1 Wed 09-Feb-22 17:30:40

trisher

I think it's an unfortunate piece of legislation which focusses solely on one condition. I would prefer to see a law which guarantees proper and fair treatment for all the conditions which mean children need help, including all learning difficulties and all on the autistic spectrum.

This. I worked as any employment adviser with a wide range of disabled people and I think it’s very unfortunate that they have singled out one section of the disabled community like this. To be honest I don’t have much faith in this or any past Tory government when it comes to treatment of disabled people - they say and do one thing in public and quite another when it comes to policy. I would advise anyone with an interest to have a look on YouGov at the consultation which has just closed. They’re proposing yet more swingeing cuts to disability benefits, including merging PIP with Universal Credit by 2027. I think this is yet another example of ‘look at this shiny thing over here’.

Josieann Wed 09-Feb-22 17:17:50

* by "intelligent" I mean clued up.

Josieann Wed 09-Feb-22 17:16:35

This was spoken about by educationalists at school today. As many have said here, it is good news although of course all children with a disability need support.
Sadly that is where there is yet again a two tier system that can be observed in the private sector. Wealthy parents can accelerate appointments with an Ed Psych and pay for expensive diagnositc assessments which can then fast track the child for an EHCP. The more intelligent and persistent the parent - lawyer for example - the more likelihood they have of succeeding, whereas other parents may have to battle for many years to even put the process in motion. Very unfair.
On a positive note, some independent schools actually refund or refuse a precentage of SEN monies from Local Authorities to help spread the costs amongst schools in the wider community.

Marmite32 Wed 09-Feb-22 16:42:18

There has been so much progress since the beginning of the 20th century:
www.open.ac.uk/health-and-social-care/research/shld/timeline-learning-disability-history
I started work in this area in 1970 when special schools for these children (and others) had recently opened. I was attached to one of them and it was an emotional shock at first. Especially meeting with the parents.
I started a support group - we had meetings with speakers etc, But the main support was from eachother.
Our local Ed. authority was one which recognised dyslexia but didn't do anything to help.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 09-Feb-22 13:10:52

Sarnia

trisher

I think it's an unfortunate piece of legislation which focusses solely on one condition. I would prefer to see a law which guarantees proper and fair treatment for all the conditions which mean children need help, including all learning difficulties and all on the autistic spectrum.

Amen to that. ALL children with any form of disability is let down hugely by this country and have been for many years. I have a 12 year old autistic grandson and an 8 year old dyslexic granddaughter. Both sets of parents have fought and still are fighting tooth and nail to get what every child should have a basic right to and that is access to an education that can help them achieve their full potential. It is hard enough dealing with a disability but heaped on top of that are the local and education authorities putting obstacles in the parents way at every turn and waiting lists of years sometimes before you can see a health professional. Speak to any parent with a school age disabled child and ask what they hate the most and the vast majority of them would say, having a battle over everything their child needs. This country needs to start making proper provision for ALL its children.

Agree wholeheartedly with that. I have family members who have gone through such an experience.

Sarnia Wed 09-Feb-22 13:03:05

trisher

Amen to that. ALL children with any form of disability is let down hugely by this country and have been for many years. I have a 12 year old autistic grandson and an 8 year old dyslexic granddaughter. Both sets of parents have fought and still are fighting tooth and nail to get what every child should have a basic right to and that is access to an education that can help them achieve their full potential. It is hard enough dealing with a disability but heaped on top of that are the local and education authorities putting obstacles in the parents way at every turn and waiting lists of years sometimes before you can see a health professional. Speak to any parent with a school age disabled child and ask what they hate the most and the vast majority of them would say, having a battle over everything their child needs. This country needs to start making proper provision for ALL its children.

sodapop Wed 09-Feb-22 12:23:13

I agree 25Avalon not enough but it's a start. Good to see everyone working together

25Avalon Wed 09-Feb-22 11:11:18

Trisher there already is an Autism Act. It’s all about getting local authorities to recognise these conditions and give support. I remember many years ago some councils did not recognise dyslexia as a condition and parents who moved from areas that did had a hell of a fight on their hands. You can read about the Down Syndrome Bill on the Down Syndrome website. Maybe not enough but a start.

AmberSpyglass Wed 09-Feb-22 10:13:28

Does anyone have any details on the bill)

Sparklefizz Wed 09-Feb-22 10:08:14

Yes trisher, you're right.

Aveline Wed 09-Feb-22 10:08:07

That would make it too general. People with Downs have a very specific genetic condition. I welcome this recognition.

trisher Wed 09-Feb-22 10:05:11

rosie1959 Wed 09-Feb-22 09:32:52

Good news

Josieann Wed 09-Feb-22 09:29:39

Yes, finally an integrated policy. Good news.

25Avalon Wed 09-Feb-22 09:26:12

The Bill has passed it’s third reading in the House of Commons and is now going to the Lords. For once all parties in the H of C are in agreement for this worthy bill. What a nice change.