Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop`s cheerful recuperative kitchen

(1001 Posts)
Hellogirl1 Thu 17-Feb-22 22:00:28

Sorry about the title, me brain`s not at it`s best at this time of day!

Jaxjacky Thu 31-Mar-22 22:11:01

What a lovely day Blossoming. We had brief snow/sleet showers then sun all day, bitterly cold, not much done as I was on the voluntary phone.
Hope your class went well Urms.
We used to have a lot of mystery meals from the freezer Grandmabatty I’m more disciplined now, well, most of the time!
Wishing you all a goodnight, it’s our bedtime x

Urmstongran Thu 31-Mar-22 21:24:28

‘Evening All’

A good day here. No snow but bitterly cold in the wind. Took L’il Miss to her swimming lesson after school pick up. The Boy Wonder had inter school athletics at a local sports stadium so he missed his swimming lesson.

Love the hair brook the colour is gorgeous and the style so sleek. I’ve bought a new hot brush & am amazed at the styling technique. It’s brilliant! I look as though I’ve been to the salon for a professional wash & blow I’m very impressed with it.

Glad you’re feeling more upbeat Grandmabatty.
x

brook2704 Thu 31-Mar-22 20:46:14

We’ve had another cold icy day here in Inverness with a couple of big snow showers earlier - hopefully we’ve seen the last of it now
You’ve reminded me grandmabatty that I’ve got to defrost our freezer too so I’ll be rummaging around soon to see what I’ve got stashed away
I’ve been at the gym for a dance around and then met DD2 in town for a bit of shopping and a sandwich for lunch. I saw the two DGC briefly when they’d finished school - they were both so excited as it’s the last day tomorrow before finishing school for the Easter holidays
Sounds like you and your DH have had a lovely day Blossoming
Thank you all for the kind comments about my hairdo - it doesn’t look quite the same today after I’ve slept on it! ?

Blossoming Thu 31-Mar-22 19:42:52

Good evening lovely Kitcheners. I shall be good and eschew the cake, I’m saving myself for a few Easter treats. Grandmabatty how lovely of your pharmacist, these small kindnesses mean such a lot. I’m sorry you’ve been feeling down, I hope things are resolving now.

I think we have had every kind of weather here today! It was bright and sunny but very cold this morning. We decided to drive out and visit the farm supplies store where we buy our bird food in bulk. It’s a pleasant drive and the staff are lovely and helpful. Then we spent several hours in a local park which has a lovely woodland, duck pond, water cascade and various other decorative features that Victorian parks often have. We took a little wood burning stove to a charity run workshop where Mr. B helps out. It used to be in our summer house but is no longer needed. The workshop users were delighted and it freed up space in the garden shed. We have eaten a lovely roasted red pepper soup with some wholemeal bread. It has been hailstoning and is now sunny again just in time for a glorious pink sunset. I will sleep well tonight, goodnight and TOYA

TillyTrotter Thu 31-Mar-22 17:12:40

Please do not lift a finger dear soop. The kitchen will move and friends will plump up cushions, and bake for the occasion, you’ll see,
Please just rest as much as you can and recuperate.
I hope Sweetie Pie pops into your auberge very soon.
She is a canny wee cat ?‍⬛

soop Thu 31-Mar-22 16:58:14

We shall need a new meeting place soon. I shall make sure that all our cushions and tartan rugs are clean and ready for use. We may need a few new chairs when the time is right.

I'm about to make Mr Soop a warming brew. He has done an afternoon's gardening and the result is pleasing.

Still no Sweetie Pie. We are a trifle concerned, although she has been absent for this long on a previous occasion. Our dread is that she may be injured. We have no idea where she goes when she leaves her apartment.

We haven't seen snow hereabouts. A few years ago, the village was cut off and the drifts were several feet high. Even the snow plough had great difficulty getting the road cleared.

Continue to stay safe and warm. I look forward to being with you tomorrow. smile moon

soop Thu 31-Mar-22 14:48:17

brook your hair is beautiful. So shiny and expertly styled.

Nannytopsy Since Grandmabatty is having a small slice of your delicious cake...I shall have a whacking large wedge (please).

It remains chilly but bright with it. Mr Soop ventured into Tarbert this morning for some fresh veg and nutty bread. I remained indoors and pottered. wink

Grandmabatty Thu 31-Mar-22 13:30:20

Nannytopsy I love coffee and walnut cake! I'll have a small slice please. Meals today have been, ahem, interesting. Breakfast was toast. Lunch was mystery soup from the freezer. Having had it, it's still a mystery ?. The best I can say is that it was hot. I followed with leftovers from last night. Gnocchi stuffed with tomato and mozzarella cheese in ratatouille. I added bacon today to eke it out. Tonight's dinner will be brisket in gravy with ratatouille and potatoes. And that should be the freezer nearly emptied so I can defrost it. Today has been cheering. I received a lovely message from one of you, who knew I was a bit down. Then I phoned the pharmacy to reorder my many prescriptions and the lovely assistant told me she had already done it and it was waiting for me. Wasn't that nice? Tesco delivery due at dinner time so that'll fill the fridge. I'm going to make butternut squash and sweet potato soup with frozen veg and frozen stock. Have a good afternoon kitcheners.

TillyTrotter Thu 31-Mar-22 13:08:38

Oohh Nannytopsy you have made a few of my favourite things (there’s a song in that somewhere ).
I don’t mind if I do, thank you ?
I expect by now the cardi is knitted, stitched up and pressed ready for giving?

Nannytopsy Thu 31-Mar-22 00:07:27

Wednesday has just turned to Thursday so all is quiet in the kitchen. Still haven’t finished DGD’s birthday cardigan for tomorrow but so nearly there. Their house is full of chicken pox anyway so we shall steer clear.
I’ve baked sausage rolls and coffee and walnut cake for the WI village cafe tomorrow, so I have virtually left both on the table.
Sleep well everyone ?

TillyTrotter Wed 30-Mar-22 21:31:01

So glad the pong has been eliminated soop ; sorry I missed you telling us your kitchen is all fresh smelling again. ?

dustyangel Wed 30-Mar-22 20:49:13

Lovely hair brook, and apologies to all for being missing while my lovely daughter was here for her flying visit. She educated me in my mobile knowledge, whether I remember it all remains to be seen, made lots of soup and did lots of little jobs that were irritating me but DH just didn’t notice. Best of all was just chatting and the (gentle) hugs of course.

soop I’m glad you and Mr.s have been able to sort out the revolting pong problem. Even better that you are steadily improving.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Mar-22 20:16:18

Wow brook gorgeous, my hair wouldn’t stay straight in a million years, it’s ‘wavy’ apparently, funny how we always crave what we haven’t got.
Dinner done, feet up, I did pinch some fruit salad Tilly thank you, that’ll take me up to 7 of the old fruit and veg today.
Have a pleasant evening all x

Blossoming Wed 30-Mar-22 19:44:01

Good evening dear Kitcheners. That fruit salad looks delicious Tilly, thank you. It’s been awful weather here today, Mr, B did the supermarket shop while I had a lie in and listened to the rain battering the window panes! I was up showered and dressed, and had the kettle on the boil, by the time he got home. So we’ve been snug indoors today getting on with various small jobs. You sound so much better soop but don’t be tempted to do too much. Your hair looks lovely brook.

Tomorrow’s forecast is much better and we’re planning a walk. I need to keep active to keep everything in working order.

TillyTrotter Wed 30-Mar-22 18:51:03

brook your pretty garden looks chilly but your new “hair-do” is hot!
Lovely cut.
It hasn’t been just fresh here Jax , it has been damp. Seems like we’ve gone back a season.

brook2704 Wed 30-Mar-22 17:36:37

There you go soop it always looks nice when the hairdresser has worked her magic, not as good when I do it of course …
Looks like a lovely beach walk Jax with a boat in the distance- I hope you’ve warmed up a bit now
I wonder where Sweetie Pie has got to this time - hopefully she’ll be back with us in the kitchen very soon

soop Wed 30-Mar-22 16:36:39

The wind in bonnie Kintyre is a chilly north easterly. We went for a stroll and my nose and eyes were streaming by the time we returned home.

It is bright sunshiny and, I've done a wee pile of ironing. Very therapeutic. Made a pleasant change. wink

We haven't seen Sweetie Pie for almost two weeks. I did see her in my dream. She is assured of a warm welcome when she does return.
There was an occasion, long ago, when Rory was lolling in front of the fire and casually watched a mouse scurry across the room. He didn't bat an eyelid.

Tilly I have some natural Greek yogurt that would go nicely with a portion of your fresh fruit salad.

brook Will you treat us to a photo? Us lot are nosy in the nicest possible way.

Charleyg We have one of those gadgets that omits a high-pitched sound to deter mees. It's in the cupboard where we located a corpse (some months ago.)

Urms I am a lover of simple pleasures. Having the signal restored to my mobile phone after almost two weeks without a connection, thrilled me almost skinny.

I am sending my love to you all. Sometime, soonish, we shall be opening yet another new kitchen. Get baking in readiness, please.

I shall be with you again tomorrow. Stay warm and remain safe. smile moon

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Mar-22 16:05:02

Thank you brook very pretty just grey here, we went for a beach walk, I’d describe it as ‘fresh’!

brook2704 Wed 30-Mar-22 11:55:00

Thank you for the lovely fresh fruit Tilly it looks delicious
We woke up to a snowy garden this morning, here’s some pictures especially for Jax I think it’ll go soon as we’ve blue sky now and sunshine
I’m sat here in the hairdressers listening to the chatter whilst my colour takes and hopefully the greys will be gone for a while
Hope today is going well for all, will pop back later

TillyTrotter Wed 30-Mar-22 09:11:33

Just popping in to the kitchen, sending my best wishes to you all.
We think we won’t be bothered with mice when we have a cat Charley but it just isn’t so. Maybe it’s because they have been dearly loved (and spoiled with lots of tasty food).
I hope Mrsoop gets to the bottom of the whiff - it must be disconcerting soop.
I am leaving something healthy for you all today - fresh fruit salad.
I hope everyone who has not been well is improving and holiday peeps are having a good time.
It seems considerably colder here today, as forecast.

Charleygirl5 Tue 29-Mar-22 21:51:41

A few years ago I bought a small plug-in gadget from Amazon which gets rid of mice. I do not hear the noise but apparently it emits a high pitched screech that does not disturb dogs or cats.

When Tara my cat was alive, she brought home mice and then got bored so they must have found a cosy spot to breed but my plug-in gadget got rid of them thankfully.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Mar-22 20:41:06

Sorry everyone. I’ve just been reading another thread & maddyone said she was in Portugal. Oops! Perhaps she’ll see this anyway. I thought I’d best explain in case I’d puzzled you all.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Mar-22 20:38:29

‘Evening All’

We’ve had a lovely sunny day. Had a drive out to Lymm in Cheshire. Strolled about, mooching in the many independent shops. Lots of smiley faces - the sun does bring out the best in people! We enjoyed a coffee sitting outside. Simple pleasures and we certainly count our blessings - especially more so these days with the news headlines.

Enjoy your holiday in Portugal maddyone hope the weather is improving. Stop chomping at that bit soop. Soon, dear lady, soon....
?

Doodle Tue 29-Mar-22 20:25:17

Evening all the Kitcheners. Haven’t been in much recently so busy but I am trying to keep up.
Hope you are improving Soop and that you and Mr Soop are having some relaxing times (well apart from the pong in the kitchen)
Take care everyone.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Mar-22 20:16:52

Goodee brook even here in Hampshire we might see a flake or two!.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion