Gransnet forums

Chat

The Storm ⛈ ?

(151 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 18-Feb-22 08:09:19

Hello

I thought that we should have a thread about today’s weather.

Please stay safe everyone; it’s very worrying.

What’s it currently like where you are? x

Smileless2012 Fri 18-Feb-22 09:09:36

Calm and sunny where we are in North Yorkshire and looks as if we'll miss the worse of today's storm.

Stay safe everyone and fingers crossed you avoid and damage and power cuts.

HettyBetty Fri 18-Feb-22 09:13:57

Sunny and very blustery here. We are in Amber but very close to the red area. Our heroic binmen have just been so DH and our neighbour have been tucking the empty bins away for others who have gone to work.

It is expected to peak in two hours so we shall see. DH is currently ironing while we still have power. We have flasks filled, the primus stove ready and torches checked.

Take care everyone.

Lucca Fri 18-Feb-22 09:14:07

FannyCornforth

Gwyneth I absolutely adore Northumberland ♥️

All the best people were born in Northumberland…..just saying

JaneJudge Fri 18-Feb-22 09:18:05

It is blowing a hoolie here. I was a bit worried when I watched the news last night though regarding the river Severn. Shouldn't those people have been told to evacuate?

Josieann Fri 18-Feb-22 09:22:13

Devon is getting gusty now. I just opened the outer porch door to the postman and the wind nearly blew it off taking me without!

Josieann Fri 18-Feb-22 09:22:27

* with it

TwiceAsNice Fri 18-Feb-22 09:29:55

Rain and blowy in Surrey but not huge winds yet. We are in the red zone and are predicted worse weather later. I usually go and help at church on a Friday morning but we have decided to do that tomorrow instead as not drive today

Serendipity22 Fri 18-Feb-22 09:42:39

Hi Fanny
Its breezy here in Yorkshire, the next doors bin is still in its upright position ( i didnt put mine out for fear it would end up in middle of road and cause an accident )

No storm up here but i so hope that it hasnt caused damage for everyone, i havent seen or heard the news this am so know how bad it has been.

This is a view from my front room .... as you can see the field is waterlogged and the sheep have been moved out !

Greenfinch Fri 18-Feb-22 09:45:04

Windy but sunny at the moment in Berkshire.Both teenage grandchildren have remote learning as their respective schools are closed, one because of concern about flying debris from the scaffolding. Wind getting stronger now.

Gongoozler Fri 18-Feb-22 09:48:09

Cold and windy down here in the wilds of Wiltshire. We are on high ground and feel exposed! Fortunately not in the red zone. No one likes this weather and the best thing is to sit it out with a mug of coffee and a good book.
I hate to think how anyone homeless copes!
Take care and keep safe!

Squiffy Fri 18-Feb-22 10:25:24

We’re on a red weather warning. The wind is blowing a hoolie and it’s lashing down with rain one minute and the next the sun is out, but still blowing a hoolie! I hate the wind, it’s always scared me! ?

Farmor15 Fri 18-Feb-22 10:29:44

This might be appropriate today!

Pittcity Fri 18-Feb-22 10:32:29

Wet and windy here in Colchester. The clouds are turning grey then blowing over quickly. The whole town is closed and we are bracing ourselves as it's no more than a usual February day at present.

Marmight Fri 18-Feb-22 10:36:38

I’m in the red zone. Wild , sunny & crazy wind intermittently since 7; rain just arriving. The sheep have all disappeared into the lee of an east facing hedge. They’re not so daft ?. The wind is forcing its way through every crack in my old cottage . Brrrgh. Stay safe - and indoors - everyone.

Atqui Fri 18-Feb-22 10:37:12

Very gusty winds here southern edge of Dartmoor.Disappointing for those travelling down for half term

henetha Fri 18-Feb-22 10:41:22

Very windy here too, south Devon near Dartmoor...
Hello Atqui.
But I think north Devon is possibly worse.

MiniMoon Fri 18-Feb-22 10:47:03

Quiet and grey with rain showers at present.
I live in the south west corner of Northumberland.
It's something of a waiting game for us. We will wait and see how far north Eunice comes.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Feb-22 10:54:21

Well, we are back from the shoe shop (new school shoes for growing feet) and after a squally 10 minutes earlier when I posted, the rain ceased, the wind dropped and the sun came out! Was that Eunice for us then?

ayse Fri 18-Feb-22 10:56:39

Bristol update. Grey sky, squally rain and windy.

Isle of Wight reports 110 mph winds

Mapleleaf Fri 18-Feb-22 10:57:57

At the moment, there’s only a slight breeze - though a bit more than earlier. The sky has become very dark again, so I think we’re in for a spot of rain once more. Where we are, in South Yorkshire, we are on the cusp of amber and yellow warning at the moment for later this afternoon so I’m hoping it will be yellow, but who knows?

Will fill a flask shortly, just in case we do lose power later, but fingers crossed we don’t.

Wherever you are, take care.

Cunco Fri 18-Feb-22 10:59:10

I am in the Red Zone. Gales are now bending even large cedar trees but so far, no large branches down. Exposed bins now shifting around. Skies are blue and there is no rain just now.

I am not counting my chickens yet. I woke to a tree across my garden in 1987 and 1989 so fingers-crossed I don't have that again.

Pittcity Fri 18-Feb-22 10:59:40

Josieann

Devon is getting gusty now. I just opened the outer porch door to the postman and the wind nearly blew it off taking me without!

Posties are staying at home here but the bin men are still out.

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 11:04:57

We're in the red zone, S Wales

The sky looked strange at 6 am but I went back to sleep, to wake up at 8 am to blue skies and strongish winds.

Since then it has rained and got even more blustery but so far it doesn't seem as bad as Storm Dudley when I thought the conservatory roof was going to take off! It didn't but I'm not going in there this morning.

Cunco
I woke to a tree across my garden in 1987

I hope we don't lose trees as happened in 1987. The difference then was that the leaves were still on the trees and the ground was sodden from incessant rain.

Shandy57 Fri 18-Feb-22 11:09:01

I'm in coastal Northumberland and it's sunny and rainy, no winds yet. My aunt on the IOW has just phoned and said it is very gusty there.

Su22 Fri 18-Feb-22 11:09:47

Still blowing a gale here in Cornwall lots of people without power, roads closed due to trees down etc. Stay safe everyone x