Gransnet forums

Chat

The Storm ⛈ ?

(151 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 18-Feb-22 08:09:19

Hello

I thought that we should have a thread about today’s weather.

Please stay safe everyone; it’s very worrying.

What’s it currently like where you are? x

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 22:45:48

Why has Eunice not been designated as a hurricane?
The wind speeds were more than Force 12 on the Beaufort Scale in some areas.

In fact, the meteorologists or forecasters don't seem to refer to Beaufort Scale wind speeds at all now.

MayBeMaw Fri 18-Feb-22 22:36:50

Good advice in gales, storms and snow!

Shandy57 Fri 18-Feb-22 20:00:27

I'm very sorry for the chickens Hetty58, what a dreadful fate. We have two cases of avian flu in Northumberland and all birds have to be contained, perhaps there were similar cases here in Dudley.

Dickens Fri 18-Feb-22 19:47:03

... just lost a lovely mature tree (some kind of Pine) in my garden... uprooted and toppled over. sad

A long cold afternoon with no power and no 'phone signal so no contact with the outside world.

But, having seen some of the damage to people's houses - roofs blown off - I'm not complaining. I really feel very sorry for anyone who's suffered this kind of damage, it must be very distressing.

I hope all the grans and their families are safe and well.

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 19:41:54

Hetty58

Callistemon21 - they don't know - as they still haven't found the coop (quite a large, shed-like structure)!

Oh no! With the hens in it.

Poor things.

Mapleleaf Fri 18-Feb-22 18:57:57

Still gusty winds here, but a little less wild.
Power outage though & wont be restored until about 6.30 tomorrow morning, they estimate. Think I’ll be off to my bed soon. Glad I boiled the kettle to fill a flask earlier, so will make a hot drink first ?

Hetty58 Fri 18-Feb-22 18:23:06

Callistemon21 - they don't know - as they still haven't found the coop (quite a large, shed-like structure)!

Hellogirl1 Fri 18-Feb-22 18:20:40

That pic of the O2 is the door we went in at the weekend.

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 17:55:16

Grandma70s

Callistemon21

Have the chickens died or escaped?

I am wondering that, too.

I was going to mention Chicken Run but then thought they might have died.

Pammie1 Fri 18-Feb-22 17:49:52

Update from Cheshire. Very calm here now - still the odd gust but things are more or less back to normal and the rain has stopped. Think we got off lightly looking at the news reports.

GrannyLaine Fri 18-Feb-22 17:31:44

My daughter and her family were on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry crossing this morning. She messaged me to say that it was like being on a Viking longship and that she'd never seen so many vomiting people all at once. Including all three of her children.......
They won't forget this half term in a hurry!

EkwaNimitee Fri 18-Feb-22 17:26:04

2 yellow warnings, one for ice, one for wind, proved unjustified here in Carlisle. Breezy with blue sky white clouds and an occasional shower in the morning and grey and rather windy in the afternoon but nothing unusual for this time of year. I’m fairly sheltered here I think, I drove out to the garden centre where it was windier being nearer the coast and nippy at 4C. Evident damage to trees from previous storm Dudley which was a definite storm!

Grandma70s Fri 18-Feb-22 17:25:03

Callistemon21

I am wondering that, too.

Pittcity Fri 18-Feb-22 17:16:42

Still windy in Colchester. You couldn't make it up but the roof has been damaged on B&Q. It's newly built. They make things to last nowadays!

farview Fri 18-Feb-22 17:04:31

Gusts are strengthening here in Bolton...our 6' wooden side gates just blown off,smashed to pieces and missed my car on the drive by inches...

Mapleleaf Fri 18-Feb-22 16:45:27

Well, it’s much wilder here now, with strong gusts and sleety rain. The strong gusts make the house creak a bit.
The trees nearby are really bending now. Such a contrast to this morning. I’ll be happy when it’s passed over, but it’s not meant to ease here slightly until around 9 pm.

Gymstagran Fri 18-Feb-22 16:33:44

Just watched a huge branch fall from a tree, splitting the trunk. Fortunately it fell sideways and missed the path into the park.

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 16:22:05

We just had another squall with hail!

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 16:21:42

emmasnan Fri 18-Feb-22 16:20:29

Here in Dorset just calming down. We have lost some roof tiles, tree down next door and in nearby roads. Power down in many areas.

Cunco Fri 18-Feb-22 16:19:09

Sad to hear about the chicken loss. My brother had a tree down with a pigeon casualty. Not nice but not such a great loss.

I think the church spire toppling over in the Facebook video {see higher up this thread] landed on a grassy patch if I read the comments rightly. It could have been much worse.

Hetty58 Fri 18-Feb-22 16:02:10

Cunco, (not counting chickens yet) - just as well. My daughter's neighbour has lost her entire chicken coop, together with 16 chickens, poor things. They live in an exposed part of Essex, on higher ground.

Hetty58 Fri 18-Feb-22 15:51:29

It's been quite tame here (NE London/Essex) - as I was expecting something like the 1987 storm. I moved all the bins and lighter potted plants into the garage, locked doors and windows, walked the dog very early etc. - then, just a bit wild and gusty, that's all!

Pammie1 Fri 18-Feb-22 15:43:43

Callistemon21

Have a look at lindiann's video!!

I hope no-one was hurt - that came down like a missile !!

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Feb-22 15:41:44

Have a look at lindiann's video!!