Gransnet forums

Chat

Laughing till we cry

(111 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 20-Feb-22 10:31:08

My GD has just reminded me of a few weeks ago when we literally cried with laughter and just now when she reminded me we laughed so much my sides hurt.

The incident is unexplainable, it was literally a case of you HAD to be there.

There are countless other you HAD to be there moments but it all lead me to starting this post of WHAT MADE YOU LAUGH TILL YOU CRIED hahahaha.

A happy thread for a dismal Sunday morning....

smilesmilesmilesmile

giulia Fri 25-Feb-22 20:08:40

Sago

Driving through Holland we stopped at a little cafe, we plonked ourselves down on some outdoor chairs and a lady promptly came out and asked if she could help us.
We ordered coffees which duly arrived with a plate of biscuits.
We sat enjoyed our coffee, biscuits and surroundings for a while then asked the lady how much we owed.
The reply was nothing…….this is my garden.
Our embarrassment quickly turned to laughter as did the ladies and her family who had been watching from the house.
We laughed until we cried!
As we left we realised the sign we had assumed was for a cafe was actually for honey.

Hilarious! and how hospitable!

Serendipity22 Fri 25-Feb-22 17:30:13

Forgot to add to my post that it wasnt ME who laughed till I cried, it was the husband.

Serendipity22 Fri 25-Feb-22 17:27:49

When i was a carer, a new lady was on my rota who was bedridden. I asked the other carers the directions to this lady's house ( she lived with her husband)

I was given directions and told it was the house with the red door.

So, off i go to the house with the red door. I got out of my car, walked up the path, knocked, walked in calling "Hello its only me the carer."

The husband came out of the kitchen as i was putting my plastic apron on and gloves.

I introduced myself said i was pleased to meet him and where was his wife ( meaning which bedroom ) He looked at me and said "Oh she's up at the post office."

I said "POST OFFICE ?????" ( Remember this lady was bed ridden)

All turns out I was at the wrong house !!!!!

Nacky Fri 25-Feb-22 08:10:14

Thank you everyone for your funny stories. Sago reminded me of a time when I was visiting open gardens (some with refreshments) with a friend. My friend was navigating and directed me up a lane where we found a house with some people on a terrace enjoying afternoon tea. I called out that we would not need tea thanks but would have a look around the garden which we did while being watched by the rather puzzled looking people on the terrace. We waved a cheery goodbye and set off, about half a mile along the road we saw another lane, this with a helpful arrow. Yes, you've guessed it.
I pulled off the road and we laughed until we cried.

MissAdventure Thu 24-Feb-22 08:03:46

grin

Sago Thu 24-Feb-22 08:01:26

Driving through Holland we stopped at a little cafe, we plonked ourselves down on some outdoor chairs and a lady promptly came out and asked if she could help us.
We ordered coffees which duly arrived with a plate of biscuits.
We sat enjoyed our coffee, biscuits and surroundings for a while then asked the lady how much we owed.
The reply was nothing…….this is my garden.
Our embarrassment quickly turned to laughter as did the ladies and her family who had been watching from the house.
We laughed until we cried!
As we left we realised the sign we had assumed was for a cafe was actually for honey.

gmarie3 Thu 24-Feb-22 07:17:10

In 1964, My dad and I laughed so much during "Shot In The Dark". I remember there were tears and sore cheeks during the globe and pool table scenes and when Peter Sellers, as Inspector Clouseau, exclaims, "And you killed him in a rit of fealous jage". Seems so silly, now, but that is one of my favorite memories with Dad. Sure miss him.

Then, just last week, I was telling my sons about a scene in Parks & Rec that I thought was particularly funny (they've been trying to get me to watch it for awhile now) and I got the giggles which got them laughing and I couldn't stop, waterworks and all. Love and laughter - just the best combo!

Serendipity22 Wed 23-Feb-22 15:49:38

MissAdventure

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MissAdventure Wed 23-Feb-22 08:29:00

When I was at work, one of the men I supported used to follow me around all the time.
I was rummaging in a cupboard, looking for something, and a tin of cocoa fell out, with the lid off.
It literally dumped a pile of cocoa on my head, and covered my face in it.

When I turned around, my follower was right behind me, also with a cocoa covered face.
When we blinked, the only white parts of us was around our eyes. grin

Jane43 Wed 23-Feb-22 03:40:00

My mother wasn’t noted for her sense of humour, she loved cricket and when she heard Brian Johnston say in his commentary, ‘The bowler’s Holding the Batsman’s Willey’ she couldn’t stop laughing for ages.

Ellylanes1 Wed 23-Feb-22 02:43:55

Big Bertha,
Sprouts Mexican episode had even my very straight laced mum laughing, couldn't believe it.

Wishes Tue 22-Feb-22 16:11:56

Some years ago a fellow TA and myself were making up questions as we were going along for an end of term quiz for the class.
She asked, "who stole the Queen of Heart's tarts?"
A very quiet student ventured very deadpan "Kevin"

It was one of those moments we couldn't stop laughing and crying every time we looked at one another even though it wasn't that funny!

Aldom Tue 22-Feb-22 14:58:58

suzikyoo

Just to lower the tone a wee bit: Some years ago I had to go for a smear test and the doctor was very posh public school. As he turned away on completion he said he hoped that it hadn't been too uncomfortable. 'Oh no, not at all' I gabbled, 'Just like a little prick'. I can still see his shoulders going with supressed laughter. Never ran out of a GP's surgery so quickly!!

Well that had me shaking and laughing out loud. grin grin Love it!!!

felice Tue 22-Feb-22 14:14:21

A follow up to Pen50s post, the Goes Wrong Show was on BBC1. DGS and I have them recorded and they are great fun.

Rowsie Tue 22-Feb-22 13:18:24

One day my sister was visiting and handed me an item which she said didn't fit her but which might suit me. I looked at it and thought it was a peasant style blouse (which is not my style at all) so I was trying very hard to say no thanks without hurting her feelings. After going on for a few minutes about how peasant blouses just weren't for me she said "You silly cow, it's a skirt" For some reason that seemed the funniest thing and we did literally laugh till we cried!

MissAdventure Tue 22-Feb-22 10:32:05

youtu.be/ziCHKDiCMKs

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 03:24:31

Even tho it's hard to bear him now, there were a few funny times with my estranged husband.
One day, he, my DC & I had been out most of the day and on the way back I happened to notice his jeans were very short, around the tops of his ankle bones. I mentioned it and asked if he had them pulled up too far? He said they were at the right place but thought they'd shrunk as they were tight around the waist, too.
My 11 yo son looked at them and exclaimed, "You're wearing MY jeans!!!"
You'd think a grown man would know the difference, and to think he'd been wearing them all day I was surprised they hadn't caused an injury!
Then one day, returning from London, also DC in tow. He went to lift something onto a bus and cursed, pulled his hand away and sucked his finger. We all looked on and he said, "Ffs, I've broken a nail!" Well that has never been forgotten, and always causes a laugh!!

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 03:11:39

MissAdventure

The Irish bat expert... grin

youtu.be/5ewxcCYXDzM

"Catch him Derry"..."Derry did you catch him?"..."Maureen stop looking through the door" - that did me, Maureen at the door! ????

suzikyoo Tue 22-Feb-22 00:35:57

Just to lower the tone a wee bit: Some years ago I had to go for a smear test and the doctor was very posh public school. As he turned away on completion he said he hoped that it hadn't been too uncomfortable. 'Oh no, not at all' I gabbled, 'Just like a little prick'. I can still see his shoulders going with supressed laughter. Never ran out of a GP's surgery so quickly!!

Jane43 Mon 21-Feb-22 23:13:26

Aldom

Who remembers the comedian Max Wall? He used to wear black tights and looked rather like Richard 111. When my friend and I were about 14 we were watching Max Wall on TV. We laughed so much that my friend wet herself, then we laughed some more!!!
I laughed till I cried when reading The Moon's a Balloon, by David Niven. We were on holiday at the time and I read the book in bed before going to sleep. I happened to be talking about how funny it was at breakfast one morning. The man at the next table agreed with me. He said he could hear me laughing from his room. grin

Yes I remember Max Wall, he was very funny and my Mum gave me The Moon’s A Balloon to read while I was still at school, also very funny. DH still watches some of The Two Ronnies’ sketches on You Tube and I can hear him chuckling away, The Morris Dancers sketch and the Four Candles sketch are his favourites. We both love Billy Connolly despite his constant swearing, we have watched his DVDs many times, we know what is coming but still laugh until it hurts. Dave Allen was very funny too. When our boys were teenagers we used to watch The Young Ones together, we all remember the episode where they were writing a letter to the Bank Manager to try and get a loan - they ended up with ‘Darling fascist bully boy, give us the money or else you b******d’ and the episode where they kept getting power cuts in the house - Neil the hippy was in the bath playing his guitar, the power went off and he started singing ‘Hello Darkness My Old Friend’, whenever we hear the song The Sound Of Silence we smile and know what we are thinking about. When DH and I first met we were both fans of The Goons and Monty Python and did lots of Goon voices and John Cleese's silly walks.

This is a great thread, I will definitely give Bill Bryson a try, I haven't read any of his books.

Wetnosewheatie Mon 21-Feb-22 22:34:05

I worked in a bank. I was speaking to a customer on the phone and said thanks Edna. The young lad opposite me just said out loud ‘ my minis called Edna ‘. I had to put the phone down as I was crying with laughter.

Nanawind Mon 21-Feb-22 22:13:56

On a hen party we were playing truth or dare.
My question was how many people I'd slept with.
I answered truefully one.
One of the hens asked me his name.
Considering I've been married over 40 years to the same man
and have 2 children plus grandchildren.
Everyone fell about laughing.

Summerfly Mon 21-Feb-22 21:51:07

Aldine. I remember going to see Max Wall along with my husband, his sister and her husband in 1966 in Morecambe. We laughed until our sides felt like they were splitting. We were amongst a very elderly audience who, unlike us, didn’t find him funny at all. Of course this made the whole event even more hilarious. He came and chatted with us after the show. What an unforgettable night. Thank for reminding me. ?

Esmay Mon 21-Feb-22 21:35:52

I love the image of a guy wearing a nappy from MerylStreep.
I had one guy ,who wanted to lick the loo seat after I'd made it dirty !
Through the years ,there have been incidents which still make me laugh .
My mother asked the
DIY guy and his mate if they wanted to wash their tools in the sink .
They couldn't walk down the drive .

My friend and I drank too much ,gatecrashed a wedding party and she fell in a hedge and wet herself on the way home .
The more I tried to pull her out the more I laughed .

Living abroad , a colleague forgot his identity papers so he couldn't go on day trip - I had mine so we pretended that he was my absent minded husband and he was accepted .

Later, at a conference ,when there was a lull in the conversation everyone heard him say ,Esmay do you remember the enormous fun that we had the day that we pretended that we were married ?
There was an audible hush .
And someone said in a low voice ,
I thought he was gay .

Patsy70 Mon 21-Feb-22 19:15:50

I apologise in advance if this offends anyone, but we were at a family christening and were asked by the vicar to turn to the person sitting next to us and say ‘Peace be with you’. My daughter misheard and said ‘Pleased to meet you’. It was a very funny moment and one that she’s never been allowed to forget! ?