Gransnet forums

Chat

Electricity

(59 Posts)
Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Feb-22 10:06:06

We had an email from our electricity supplier yesterday informing us that our electricity direct debit is going up by £400 per year - £33 a month. We are already on the lowest tariff, but can fortunately afford it. How on earth will families with little income manage! We’ve already had to pay around £200 more for our heating oil than last year. With the Ukrainian shenanigans, it is likely that these costs will increase even more.

Nanatoone Sat 26-Feb-22 11:19:43

I’m pretty sure it’s the Govt who will get the windfall profit in more tax pounds coming their way, so many companies have already gone to the wall, so it can’t be the companies. It’s much better to get a smart meter and pay the right amount every month, I feel so much more in control now. I can’t wait to get my state pension in September, which I feel will go to cover the increases in fuel and food.

Theoddbird Sat 26-Feb-22 11:19:46

I live on my narrow boat in a marina. I have a land line for electricity and get billed every quarter by the marina. Electricity charges my battery pack, heats water and runs fridge/freezer and tv. I shorted time water heater was on and stopped using halagon heater. Just got my bill and it is less than last year. I chose to wear layers to keep warm and a blanket over my knees. I do put electric blanket on to warm bed...it is on for an hour. Maybe come next winter I will cut back on time that is on. It is possible to cut down usage. It does make a difference to bill. I will continue to cut back usage.

Purplepixie Sat 26-Feb-22 11:21:56

DH greeted me with the good news this morning that he had just received an email with the rising costs on it. Highway robbery when some of these companies are running at high profits. What can we do?

FarNorth Sat 26-Feb-22 11:23:17

Well done oddbird.

Cutting back is the only way to go, if insulation of a home isn't possible.

Giddygranny Sat 26-Feb-22 11:25:56

We managed to fix ours last year. But still only have heating when it gets down to 12c in living room, just wrap up otherwise. However it is rotten being permanently cold when you move. Lord knows where it will all end, roll on summer.

Autumnrose Sat 26-Feb-22 11:46:38

I have just received an email with details of the increased unit cost from 1st April. I do not have a smart meter and my meter reading is taken once a year. It seems to me however that a meter reading will be needed on 31st March in view of the big increase but there is no mention of this being done. Is anyone else wondering about the possibility of being charged at the higher rate for gas that hasn’t actually been used as at 31st March?

Elizabeth27 Sat 26-Feb-22 12:18:49

I have had an email saying I can change from variable to fixed tariff, they make it sound urgent and to do it now. Martin Lewis, who seems to know what he is on about advises not to fix at this time.

LizzieDrip Sat 26-Feb-22 12:28:28

I would advise everyone to get a smart metre - your energy company should fit one free of charge. Before I had mine, I really had very little idea how much energy I was using until the quarterly bill arrived. Now, with a smart metre I’m much more in control. I’ve set an ‘ideal’ daily budget on the metre and, if I’m going above it, I can adjust usage accordingly, if I so choose. The smart metre gives me the information I need to make my own choices.

Mummer Sat 26-Feb-22 12:30:22

Ladyleftfieldlover

We had an email from our electricity supplier yesterday informing us that our electricity direct debit is going up by £400 per year - £33 a month. We are already on the lowest tariff, but can fortunately afford it. How on earth will families with little income manage! We’ve already had to pay around £200 more for our heating oil than last year. With the Ukrainian shenanigans, it is likely that these costs will increase even more.

"Shenanigans" ? Really? How crass and insensitive of you, it's an all out invasion , sod your bills- if you can afford it what's your point exactly?

Mine Sat 26-Feb-22 12:30:33

I wouldn't have a DD every month. Why should I hand my money over to Shell energy who made millions last year!!!. I put meter readings in every month and recieve my bill every 3 month which is taken from my bank....

Mummer Sat 26-Feb-22 12:35:27

LizzieDrip

I would advise everyone to get a smart metre - your energy company should fit one free of charge. Before I had mine, I really had very little idea how much energy I was using until the quarterly bill arrived. Now, with a smart metre I’m much more in control. I’ve set an ‘ideal’ daily budget on the metre and, if I’m going above it, I can adjust usage accordingly, if I so choose. The smart metre gives me the information I need to make my own choices.

Don't speak about flaming smart meters! Got them fitted then switched, just found out electric charged for ok but haven't been billed for gas! Luckily I'm aware and brought to their attention due to big credit building on my account!? Update to yesterday ! Now they say there's also a problem with the gathering of usage info on the electricity smart meter side!! Waste of time, I feel like telling them I'll pay as I go on old style paper bills! At least I'll be in control, can save up in summer to pay winter! And it will be in MY bank not theirs!!

Dickens Sat 26-Feb-22 12:39:58

Germanshepherdsmum

Which is why I don’t succumb to the constant attempts to get me to pay by DD even if they will give me £5 off or whatever. I submit the meter readings, they email me a bill, I pay it.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

I've been told how much easier it is to pay a fixed amount DD and that you can budget more easily.

In fact, looking at what I've used and paid for afterwards helps me to reconcile what I've been operating electrically and electronically, and I can usually manage to reduce the next bill simply by being more efficient.

... and keep the saving in my account.

Mummer Sat 26-Feb-22 12:40:03

12c is far too cold and risky! Also it means your boiler has to work so much harder to heat the house when it is put on, using power less efficiently. 15-16c is optimum with Woolies etc. And easier to boost if it gets really cold. Becareful as hypothermia creeps up and symptoms are very hard to spot, quite hazardous to be below safe temperature specially as we get older and less active.

helgawills Sat 26-Feb-22 12:49:55

Years ago we were with npower, credit balance built up to £440. Only way to get it back was to change supplier. We've had some issues with our smart meter, installed by the now defunct Robin Hood Energy. When we changed to Pure Planet, they could sometimes not read the gas usage. We had to send in endless photos.Pure Planet went the way of Robin Hood, now similar problems with new supplier. Asked for new smart meter, was booked for next month, now cancelled.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 26-Feb-22 12:59:17

I have resisted all attempts to persuade me to get a smart meter fitted after all the tales of woe I’ve heard about them. I can read my meter whenever I want but just do so once a month and email the readings in. Then I receive a bill a few days later. It’s perfectly easy to keep track of usage and work out what your bill will be.

Mummer Sat 26-Feb-22 13:03:04

Hey you guys!!!! Out of interest I just checked y account and.....it's IN CREDIT FIR £24,360.29!!!!!!!!YES!!! IT IS!!!! Unbelievable!
I've just sent them a brutal email asking for an explanation? To hats it! I've decided were going back to old fashi ok nedpay as we use and paper bills!!! These idiots simply cannot be trusted! I can't believe it........wish I could demand a refund though????

GillT57 Sat 26-Feb-22 13:04:36

SillyNanny, I am sorry you are finding the increased fuel charges worrying, but I am sick and tired of the anti younger people rhetoric on GN, my adult children are nothing like you describe, they did not vote for this bloody government, they are polite, hard working, and guess what? They pay gas and electric bills too!

Mummer Sat 26-Feb-22 13:05:32

Mummer

Hey you guys!!!! Out of interest I just checked y account and.....it's IN CREDIT FIR £24,360.29!!!!!!!!YES!!! IT IS!!!! Unbelievable!
I've just sent them a brutal email asking for an explanation? To hats it! I've decided were going back to old fashi ok nedpay as we use and paper bills!!! These idiots simply cannot be trusted! I can't believe it........wish I could demand a refund though????

This system sucks can we pleeeeeeeeeeeze have editing tool, predictive overrules corrections. Even when they have been closely checker

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 26-Feb-22 13:40:50

Closely ‘checker’ like your last post? Why not use the preview facility.
I have no idea what your hysterical post is about anyway. Does your electricity supply company address you as ‘guys’ or are you addressing us as ‘guys’?

GillT57 Sat 26-Feb-22 13:43:12

Just a quick reminder, the price you are quoted for your monthly payments is based upon an estimate of your usage, is not a fixed price irrespective of what you use (Karmalady said the same I believe) I have always thought that the so called average usage, and average capped bill amount is not a very useful yardstick. We have just had our email informing us of the increases in the per KwH charges for gas and electricity, plus the increased standing charges for each. Based on this month's usage from our smart meter readings online, we have used £180.69 in gas and electricity including standing charge, from 1st April, this equivalent will be £289.41.

Buttonjugs Sat 26-Feb-22 13:44:31

Mummer

Mummer

This system sucks can we pleeeeeeeeeeeze have editing tool, predictive overrules corrections. Even when they have been closely checker

Only noticed it on your post though…. confused

CBBL Sat 26-Feb-22 16:02:22

I pay Octopus £64.73 per month on DD for Electricity only. There is no mains gas where I live. Our heating is oil fired and I pay £54 per month for that . This is variable, and I have only just begun to pay in advance, rather than buying oil at around £300 plus for 500 litres, as and when we get low (we check how much is in the tank regularly). I thought this would be the better strategy. I'm supposed to have had a smart meter fitted to the tank, but that hasn't happened yet (I have the meter, but am awaiting fitting, which I have also paid for in advance.) I live in the very North of Scotland, so it's pretty cool here in the winter months. I will be keeping an eye in this, as we have spent our savings on a new kitchen (the existing one was falling apart) and Triple Glazed windows (yet to be installed).

railman Sat 26-Feb-22 17:14:10

Smart Meters can be useful, and build on the age old SCADA technology used to monitor elements of the electricity network.
But, no doubt because of successive Tory governments' obsession with privatisation has resulted in ever increasing bureaucracy with a multi layered service provision to the consumer. The "energy companies" are often just agents liaising between the actual owners of the infrastructure and connection providers, and are just paying your bills for you.

If there was a standard way of providing smart meters, then perhaps there would be a register of licensed installers, who work directly for the energy companies.

Sadly, the UK's "energy market" was created as a fictional marketplace by John Major through the NETA arrangements and broke up the regional and area suppliers into multiple companies - which, inevitably costs more to operate.

Ah well - technology's great isn't it

Gongoozler Sat 26-Feb-22 17:22:41

I recently had a letter to say that having matured to perfection and reached the grand old age of 80 I will get a whole 25p a week on my OAP. I have been puzzling over what to squander this largesse on until this week we had our gas and electricity increase notification and my problem is solved!
What a wonderful life!

railman Sat 26-Feb-22 17:59:05

Gongoozler

I recently had a letter to say that having matured to perfection and reached the grand old age of 80 I will get a whole 25p a week on my OAP. I have been puzzling over what to squander this largesse on until this week we had our gas and electricity increase notification and my problem is solved!
What a wonderful life!

I know what you mean - maybe put it to one side to pay for the loan / debt that Rishi Sunak is lumbering us with from October?