Gransnet forums

Chat

Electricity

(59 Posts)
Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Feb-22 10:06:06

We had an email from our electricity supplier yesterday informing us that our electricity direct debit is going up by £400 per year - £33 a month. We are already on the lowest tariff, but can fortunately afford it. How on earth will families with little income manage! We’ve already had to pay around £200 more for our heating oil than last year. With the Ukrainian shenanigans, it is likely that these costs will increase even more.

Gongoozler Sat 26-Feb-22 18:14:05

Thanks Railman, great idea!

Charleygirl5 Sat 26-Feb-22 22:35:39

Gongoozler you are so fortunate, the world is your oyster-all I ask is that you do not squander it. If you are careful there may be enough for the odd treat.

It is an insult and will cost £££s to pay you that amount.

WebUK4u Sat 26-Feb-22 22:48:39

There is not a lot that energy companies can do, but there is actually something that they can do. Centrica ( British Gas owners) made even more profits due to the pandemic, maybe because people were furloughed or working from home. Maybe they could share some of it with their customers. There are only few British energy companies. Most such as British Gas, EDF, Eon, NPower are French or German owned. Most companies are now all very similar in price. Anyone on a variable tariff at the moment or about to come off a fixed tariff may find UW a good alternative. They are a British company. They don't advertise and not on comparison websites. They will save you money if you take all their services ( and probably save you money if you just take energy, but you would need to get a quote) They are award winning, excellent customer services and have lots of extra benefits, such as a cashback card that can reduce your bills even further. Plus benefits of a credit of £50 for taking a smart meter. Up to £50 for referring a friend or relative and still other benefits. A strong company that has been in the UK for over 20 years. I recommend them.

poshpaws Sun 27-Feb-22 00:33:42

M0nica

You said "If anyone is afraid of big winter bills, it is easy enough to put a standard sum of money aside every month into a savings account so that the cost of fuel is spread smoothly over the year and pay your bills from that."

Sorry, but for people like me who are having to rob Peter to pay Paul even prior to the energy price increases, that's like that MP who said he couldn't manage on a salary of "only" £85k a year.

I've had to start selling things to pay the bills this last month, that I really don't want to part with but don't actually need - like the vintage neep chapper that my late husband and I were so excited to get several years ago, but which is pretty unnecessary compared to my need for heat and hot water.

There are, in my opinion going to be an awful lot more deaths this winter amongst the elderly, the unwell and the poor, because (I fit all 3 caregories! blimey, just realised that!) we simply can't find the extra money when we were struggling to begin with.

Teacheranne Sun 27-Feb-22 02:34:18

Mummer

12c is far too cold and risky! Also it means your boiler has to work so much harder to heat the house when it is put on, using power less efficiently. 15-16c is optimum with Woolies etc. And easier to boost if it gets really cold. Becareful as hypothermia creeps up and symptoms are very hard to spot, quite hazardous to be below safe temperature specially as we get older and less active.

Totally agree about 12 degrees being too low, especially for elderly people. I understand that living areas should be heated to 18 degrees although bedrooms can be lower, any lower and your health could be affected.

Personally, my house would be damp and mouldy if not well heated, I suffering from damp problems for five years until I replaced the old, ineffective boiler - mould on walls, damp mattress, nasty smell, condensation etc.

I guess lifestyle can make a difference, a younger person who is always rushing around looking after a young family could cope with lower temperatures than someone like me, older, restricted mobility and recently retired so in the house during the day.

I have increased my donations to a local food bank as I know more families are being forced to use them but I still feel guilty that I can afford to pay the increases in my household bills as I can make savings in other areas if I have to.

M0nica Sun 27-Feb-22 08:58:06

poshpaws GN threads are discussion threads, people discuss different topics and make suggestions about what they do and suggest others might benefit from doing something similar.

Each of us, (at least I do) looks at suggestions and some times think 'What a good idea' and other times thinks 'Wouldn't work for me'.

So the suggestion I made wouldn't work for you. That is fine, I wasn't suggesting everyone should do it. just suggesting some might find it worth considering.

lemsip Sun 27-Feb-22 10:16:20

I pay £46 a month for gas and electric to British Gas. It's much more than I'ver ever paid.....I was £168 in credit so phoned and got half of that paid back to my account.... I live alone in a small 2bed flat and very economical with what I use.......

my family will struggle with the huge increases though.

Design100 Tue 01-Mar-22 08:30:16

Wellbeck yes I Also shocked at the words used. I think it’s an awful way to describe people losing life!