Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Monday 28 February 2022

(46 Posts)
grandMattie Mon 28-Feb-22 06:00:51

Good morning from a dark chilly E Kent.
Last day of February, where did it go? Tomorrow is Shrove
Tuesday - pancakes for all meals. Does anyone make Staffordshire oatcakes? They are delicious, but my recipe makes enough for about five people so in rarely make them now rather DC have left home.
Was a good girl and did my Spanish homework yesterday, despite having missed my class.
I heartily recommend guinea fowl. We had one, roasted, last night. It was delicious.
I hope today is good to all my favourite people. Carpe diem. ????☀️??☀️?

NanKate Mon 28-Feb-22 15:54:22

Thanks NannyJ for the welcome back. Hope you are well.

Yes it’s lovely having DS here, quite like old times.

What sad times we are living in.

Urmstongran Mon 28-Feb-22 13:19:15

No Matt today, it’s Monday.
Hi everyone - too late to wish you all a Good Morning as we had WiFi problems earlier but all sorted now. It’s chilly here and we had rain first thing. Not funny.

Happypie Mon 28-Feb-22 12:35:26

Good morning GrandMattie and All
Yes, I make Staffordshire Oatcakes and we have them with bacon and eggs, sometimes with melted cheese. I grew up in Stoke, but moved away many years ago, but still crave them and use a recipe my grandma used.

NannyJan53 Mon 28-Feb-22 12:28:58

Good afternoon from a very dull Black Country!

Have been waiting all morning for a call from a Doctor, which finally came 15 minutes ago. I have to go and collect some Steroid cream.

My Niece popped in yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. She has just arrived home from working in Brisbane for almost 3 years! Lots to catch up on. She is starting a new job at the end of March in London, and is yet to find accommodation.

Good to see you posting today NanKate, how lovely to have your son with you for a while.

The people of Ukraine are constantly on my mind, I hope somehow it can be resolved peacefully

Wishing you all a good afternoon

Litterpicker Mon 28-Feb-22 11:46:26

Good morning Mick and all. Bright and dry here on the West Sussex coast.

We came back from Scotland on Friday, having taken fright at the swirling snow on Thursday morning when we should have been leaving. Unfortunately roadworks and heavy traffic made our journey very slow but we eventually made it to South Oxfordshire where my BiL & SiL gave us a lovely meal and a comfy bed. Arrived home Saturday in time to watch some rugby.

We had a lovely week - visited an excellent recycling charity and bought a table & chairs and some plates & bowls for our flat. We have a great view across the playing fields where the school pupils spill out during their breaks, to the horror of DGSs (13) who think we are spying on them ?

The boys had an inset day at the end of half-term so DD, boys and us went to the Edinburgh Botanic Garden where we had lunch and a walk round to see the spring flowers. Amazingly the sun shone on us. We also looked at the wonderful community art exhibition ‘Forth Lines’. Local people living along the Firth of Forth on the Fife side and the Edinburgh/East Lothian side had contributed calico panels illustrating what they love about their coast. Highly recommend a visit to local or visiting GNrs (on until April 24).

Book group is at my house on Wednesday so I must get on with some tidying and cleaning.

Thinking of Ukraine and of all on here struggling with health or family problems flowers

hollysteers Mon 28-Feb-22 10:56:34

Good morning grandMattie and all from Cloudy Chambers northwest coast. Quiet day today, stomach has been off from my old war wound so will gear myself up for singing tomorrow and some shopping.
Painter has been here so the outside of the house is looking smarter and I have a rose bush to - -kill- - plant. Since the garden was redesigned, all the roses have gone (Battle of Britain, bright orange and red so not that pretty) and I would like some pale pink roses. Trouble is, I have a brown thumb and not a green finger.
Hope Mick enjoys his jolly and with prayers for victims of war, I hope you have a good day. Will read through later.

gillgran Mon 28-Feb-22 10:21:13

Good Morning from an overcast N.,Cambs.,

Thank you grandMattie for being host over the weekend, I hope your DGD continues well with her recovery.

I'm sure that Mick will have enjoyed his stay in York & has a safe journey back home.

Urmstongran, are you back in the sunshine now? Enjoy your holiday home.

Warm wishes to you all, especially those with extra worries & problems.

luluaugust Mon 28-Feb-22 10:08:03

Good morning to all from W Kent. I hope Mick is enjoying York, have such happy memories of short break holidays there.
Life pretty slow at present, probably just as well as shoulder playing up again. Have been sorting through books to go to charity shop so will carry on with that for now.
My brother has a Russian neighbour who is working here with a young family, he is in a terrible state about what is happening and totally against Putin's actions.
Best wishes to all.

Blossoming Mon 28-Feb-22 09:51:19

Good morning Mick (if you’re reading this) and everybody. Thank you for opening up again GrandMattie. There’s a light drizzle in my corner of Lancashire this morning, currently 7°C.

No plans for today, I have my rescheduled DPP Zoom meeting which was cancelled last week due to the instructor’s ill health. Ironically the program is called Healthier You.

I’m still feeling very worried about the Ukraine situation, I believe Vladimir Putin is mad enough to use nuclear weapons if he isn’t stopped soon. It’s heartening to see the protesters in Russian. He may think he’s a second Stalin but Russia and it’s people have changed.

Wishing you all the best possible day. May all those with worries find some comfort and all who are under the weather find some relief. ?

Purplepixie Mon 28-Feb-22 09:34:36

Good morning from a grey and dull East Midlands.

EkwaNimitee Mon 28-Feb-22 09:32:56

Good morning all from a rather grey Carlisle where the sun is trying to pop out. It was windy and rainy during the night.
Today is housework and laundry in the morning and in the afternoon, admin.
I'm giving my back a rest from the garden, I planted out 3 shrubs yesterday which required 3 big holes. For one I immediately hit heavy clay full of lots of stones including one big one. My little mattock was employed vigorously. No workout videos required here!
My mind is very much on Ukraine, I'm so pleased they are not being the pushover Putin seems to have expected.

The best possible day to you all.

Serendipity22 Mon 28-Feb-22 09:30:38

Good morning everyone. A different morning weather wise than yesterday today is cloudy a d apparently rain is due later.

Well! I woke at 02.34 think of Ukraine, put the news on my phone to read the latest, fell back asleep,so needless to say i have only just woke up.

Today i am going to visit the lady who lives in the farm opposite me, she used to always have a coal fire lit, oooo it was sooooo cozy, since breaking her leg her family have bought her a remote control imitation coal fire, its obviously not the real thing but its great, my friend isnt very keen.

Then i want to make a cornish slab (to cut up and freeze) a chicken and mushroom pie ( to freeze ) and a black cherry pie ( to frèeze ) I have to confess here and now that this ready-made pastry had revolutionary changed my life hahahaha as has tinned fruit! I better get up out of this bed and GET CRACKING with my day !!!!!!! Hahahaha.

Enjoy your day everyone.

? to everyone..

smilesmilesmilesmile

Georgesgran Mon 28-Feb-22 09:23:45

Good morning from a damp Durham. At least the wind has gone.
DD1 is 43 today - the years pass so quickly now, it’s frightening.
I fear condemnation of Putin will have little effect on him, but ‘action’ against him could prove disastrous. IMO, he should be removed by his own people.
Must contact garden chap, as I fear I’ve been abandoned.

Anniebach Mon 28-Feb-22 08:46:41

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grandmabatty Mon 28-Feb-22 08:30:28

Good morning all from Polmont where it's 8° and damp. It's been quite wet in the night. Marydoll a bad night's sleep is just awful,isn't it? I had a better one than usual, according to my Fitbit. Chrissielou my good wishes to your daughter.
Yesterday my plans to get into the garden came to naught as dd and the boys arrived and stayed for the afternoon. It is always lovely to see them. I feel very blessed that they stay so close and pop in so often. I made ricotta cheese and spinach filled pasta shells in tomato sauce for dinner and it was lovely.
Today I'm expecting a phone call from an insurance company relating to a matured policy. Then a Tesco delivery in the afternoon so a day in the house for me. I'll do some painting I think and some knitting. I expect there will be more developments in Ukraine. I don't think it's going Putin's way at all and the people of Europe have united against him. Have a good day all

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 28-Feb-22 08:03:50

Good morning all from dreary Harrogate
Another busy day today, the electrician is coming to switch some light fittings around and to sort a few electricalproblems we are having. My friend will also be on the phone at some time. Yesterday my DDS AND DGd were round so we could have mock pancake day. I sent them into the attic to see what books they’d like for their children. They came down with many forgotten memoirs of their youth, giggling like they did as children.
My DD1 was wondering if Putin had been bullied as a child, always a possibility, but he is an evil little man
I did manage to church yesterday and it was crowded and not a mask in sight.
Nice to see folk though.
Hope you have enjoyed your break Mick you’ve had the best of the weather
Have the best day you can folks.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Feb-22 08:03:41

Just a quick note, I cleared out four years worth of PMs both sent and received yesterday, I think it shows up as removed at senders request the other end.

Grammaretto Mon 28-Feb-22 08:00:12

Good morning from the Scottish Borders where it is drizzling a bit but birds are loudly singing. I have a postponed Christmas lunch today with one of my groups. I do hope it isn't a Christmas meal!

I have a dilemma this week: At last I have an appointment with a physio but at the same time it is the funeral of an old neighbour. I am tempted to change the appointment but may never get another one.
I will try to change the appointment.

I too have been praying hard for the people caught up in Putin's madness.

I hope Mick and Urms are enjoying their holidays.
and everyone has a pleasant day. Stay safe.

ShazzaKanazza Mon 28-Feb-22 07:54:31

Good morning grandMattie and everyone from a wet dull Hull. Well we’ve had two beautiful days haven’t we and such a treat for people right over the weekend. Thoughts for your daughter Crissielou and all she has to go through and to you for your strength in supporting her.
First thing DH said to me after saying good morning was ‘so what’s vlad the impaler being up to overnight’ he knows as soon as I’m awake I check my phone. Those brave Ukrainians have the support of the world.
Today is a zoom yoga and picking up DGS from school so back to routine after a lovely weekend with friends.
Take care everyone and hope Monday brings everyone moments of joy.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Feb-22 07:52:58

Morning all from a cloudy S Hants, warmer too. We had a lovely lunch at my brother’s yesterday, then home to watch the Carabao cup, followed later by Peaky Blinders.
Admin today and a bit of housework.
Hope Mick had a lovely weekend and Urms is happily ensconced.
Best wishes to those poorly or struggling ??.

Ali23 Mon 28-Feb-22 07:51:29

Good morning all from Leicester,
We are off to Norfolk today for a few days. Really looking forward to the sea air and lovely landscape.

My thoughts are with the Ukrainian folk this morning too. I hope their suffering is short and that our government can see its way to supporting any refugees who reach out to us fully.

May we all be safe and peaceful and happy. May no harm come to us.

Grandmajean Mon 28-Feb-22 07:45:38

Good morning from Cheshire where it's raining !
Enjoy your meet up Gingster Sar and Grannygravy
I too ,am very worried about the situation in Ukraine and can't bear to see those poor people so distressed. Wish the Russian population could hear the truth and rise up en masse against this crazy man.
Hope today brings some happiness at some point to all of you.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 28-Feb-22 07:35:52

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. As is often the case I have no idea about the weather as I’m still in bed. I’ll be up at 8 am. Someone mentioned guinea fowl. We much prefer it to chicken and in fact had it on Saturday. It makes wonderful stock too and I have a batch ready to freeze. I woke in the night after a nightmare. The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse must be laughing at us. Very uncertain and worrying times. However, life goes on for the moment and we have a decorator calling in later to give us quotations for the kitchen, lounge, hall and landing and maybe a bedroom.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Feb-22 07:35:10

Oops by the time I pressed post Gingster and Sar53 had beaten me to it, see you soon x

kittylester Mon 28-Feb-22 07:32:21

Good morning all from a wet North Leicestershire. There was a lovely sunrise.

Today, I have my first singing lessons for 3 weeks - doesn't auger well!! Ironing later.

Can I make a plea to everyone spring cleaning their wardrobes to consider donating them to Ukrainian refugees. The Polish Centre in our local town is a collection point as are the Polish supermarkets.

And, can someone please do something about Putin.