Gransnet forums

Chat

What is there too much of ?

(176 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 09-Mar-22 07:12:23

The obvious one to me are adverts on tv. Far too many and quite intrusive these days. There used to be a limit on the time but that seems to have disappeared. I could also say ,especially with politicians, too much talk, too little action.

Jaibee007 Thu 10-Mar-22 20:41:57

Also too much swearing in public
Too much alcohol drinking in public
Too much smoking on the streets
Too much dope smoking in our parks
Too much rudeness and incompetence from shop workers

Jaibee007 Thu 10-Mar-22 20:38:23

Noise - especially horrible rap music in shops and cafes
People shouting into their phones, hardly pausing for breath, including having the other person on speaker, so us poor unfortunates get to hear both sides of the conversation
Food smells on public transport - fried chicken /chips ?
Fast food shops on our high streets
Expensive coffee shops
Electric scooters
Men cycling aggressively
People walking around looking into phones barging into me because they can't be arsed to look where they're going
People not wearing masks on the tube
People chewing with their mouths open

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 10-Mar-22 20:04:29

Thanks volver. You learn something every day here! My husband has Scottish ancestry and my DNA test alleges that I do too though I remain to be convinced!

Sue450 Thu 10-Mar-22 20:01:02

Woke???

volver Thu 10-Mar-22 19:40:50

Germanshepherdsmum

Pardon my ignorance but what is a quine? And I always thought loons were either barmy people or 70s flares. Do I need to get out more?

You need to get to the North East of Scotland GSM!

Quine is a woman, from the Swedish kvinna. Its the best word ever for a girl/woman, as its not derogatory. I'm a quine, you're a quine, my elderly mum's a quine. A female child is a quinie smile

A loon is a man; no idea of the provenance but it dates back to the 15th century.

JPB123 Thu 10-Mar-22 19:28:41

Too many BBC1 adverts before progs,especially the news.
Take away food outlets.
Clothes waste.
Food waste.
Screen time .
Face creams.
Unhealthy folk.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 10-Mar-22 18:53:59

Same here Beanutz. Everything with ads is recorded.

Beanutz2115 Thu 10-Mar-22 18:50:33

We don’t watch TV in real time anymore, skipping through the adverts makes it easy.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 10-Mar-22 18:38:21

Pardon my ignorance but what is a quine? And I always thought loons were either barmy people or 70s flares. Do I need to get out more?

volver Thu 10-Mar-22 18:34:49

Loons and quines, it all makes sense to me. ?

paddyann54 Thu 10-Mar-22 18:28:50

volver I say FOLK a lot I think it is a Socttish thing though I dont normally call girls "lassies" or boys "loons". I have a friend who speaks Doric and I wish I could ,it makes me smile

Eric1925 Thu 10-Mar-22 18:18:09

There lots of ads on social media (not TV) for products 'taking the country by storm' really? I had never heard of them before. When I am told about one of these I say "look on Mumsnet for real comments"

kevincharley Thu 10-Mar-22 18:09:27

Complaining and opinions hmm

Rosina Thu 10-Mar-22 17:51:18

How about 'WOW!!' I sometimes feel a burning need to turn the programme off if I hear one more 'Wow' uttered.

catladyuk Thu 10-Mar-22 17:27:27

too much bad language, both on television and in everyday life, i've heard even small children use the 'f' word. i realise that tv drama mirrors actual life but the excessive use of expletives is unnecessary.
maybe i'm still living in the past but i'm sure i'm not alone in finding it extremely offensive.

garnet25 Thu 10-Mar-22 17:18:02

Litter.

Processed Food.

Angry People.

Throwaway society.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Mar-22 17:08:17

'Harry and nutmeg' - great. Not heard nutmeg before but it's very apt. grin

There is definitely too much 'wokeness' about and I am sick and tired of hearing about 'mental health', In fact, if I hear any more about it I will definitely be going mental.

Happysexagenarian Thu 10-Mar-22 16:11:01

Impatience
Rudeness
Unnecessary aggression towards other people (quick tempers)
Coffee shops
Take-aways
Junk food
Social Media, WAY too much! Most of it's not even very social.
So-called 'celebrities'
Overpaid footballers
Freedom of choice, at the expense of consideration for other people.
Plastic, still!

Mrsdof Thu 10-Mar-22 15:58:36

Hate and Intolerance. Why oh why can’t we live and let live?

Sloegin Thu 10-Mar-22 15:48:56

Background music in shops and even in hospitals and GP waiting rooms. I really hate it. Studies have shown that the only people who notice background music are those who don't like it. That can be people with hearing difficulties, people on autistic spectrum or just people who love music but want to listen to whatever is to their taste, when they choose,and not have rubbish ' wallpaper' muzak bombarding their senses.

Camelotclub Thu 10-Mar-22 15:47:25

Fear and uncertainty.

Jess20 Thu 10-Mar-22 15:46:44

Nadateube yes, dog poo everywhere! We always clear up our dogs poo and often others lying around... Too much of it!

springishere Thu 10-Mar-22 15:44:51

Agree with all the others, but would add: the F...... word, including "Fantastic".

Ads to the right of this page.

Nanniejude Thu 10-Mar-22 15:40:16

Waste and plastic, cars, throw away items!

volver Thu 10-Mar-22 15:26:47

Intelligent, witty and eloquent, I'll go with that Fanny smile

Sounds like a firm of solicitors. grin