Gransnet forums

Chat

A pint of wallop! (Just for fun).

(89 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sat 12-Mar-22 10:33:46

A silly thing but we were laughing over breakfast today remembering my Dad saying he was going for a 'a pint of wallop'. Anyone else remember the funny things their parents called things?

mimismo Tue 15-Mar-22 14:23:24

Another of my dad's - In answer to the question 'Whats for dinner? the answer was often 'Iffit', short for 'If it goes all round you can have some!' Also SOS - stretch or starve - usually to guests, basically help yourself as no-one else will!

AGAA4 Tue 15-Mar-22 14:34:48

My mum used to say ' you look like you've been pulled through a hedge backwards' if we came home from school in an untidy state.

Milest0ne Tue 15-Mar-22 15:16:31

Windmill pudding--If it goes round you all get a bit

"Look both ways crossing the street "as all the holiday makers walk round with their eyes shut and their mouths open

GillT57 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:21:54

If you were a bit pale, a bit under the weather, you would have a face like a cloot

A cloot, for the uninitiated, is the muslin cloth used to steam a pudding.

Rumpunch Tue 15-Mar-22 15:25:40

I always heard the phrase as 'adequate sufficiency'

I only drink weak tea and my Mum calls it

'Water bewitched and tea begrudged !'

Fabulous50s Tue 15-Mar-22 15:29:35

When asking what we were having to eat for the next meal my mother would reply “two jumps at the cupboard door”.

pipdog Tue 15-Mar-22 15:32:43

My MiL told me someone was "just poorly" which I thought meant they had a bit of a cold but next time we saw her she said the person had died, when I said I didn't realise they were that ill the reply was "well I told you they were just poorly" she actually meant they were likely to die soon! She used it a lot more as she (and her freinds) got older but I have never heard anyone else say it.

Oldwoman70 Tue 15-Mar-22 15:33:00

My father, never one to give compliments, if asked if someone looked OK would answer "whose going to stop a galloping horse to look at you"

Yammy Tue 15-Mar-22 15:36:10

If asked to describe something's colour my dad always said"Finnie Haddie pink with a sky blue border'.
We had Chinese wedding cake for pudding on Sundays quite a letdown rice pudding.
DH says when he asked too many questions his mum would reply heliphano hell if I know he thought it was an animal
The one I hated was if you were in a hurry and butting or pushing in you were told 'To hold your water'.
If you looked a bit thin you were told ,'If you stand sideways no one will see you'.

hilz Tue 15-Mar-22 15:58:33

Up the cut in a coal boat was the answer to the question. 'Where have you been?'

gulligranny Tue 15-Mar-22 16:10:05

My dear Dad, on seeing someone's skinny legs in very tight trousers, would say" Lor', you couldn't bend a pipe cleaner that shape!"

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Mar-22 16:12:25

‘Has the tide gone out’ if Dads cup of tea wasn’t up to the top.
‘I’m off to spend a penny’ Mum going to the toilet.

JaneJudge Tue 15-Mar-22 16:17:30

you cant hold your own water meant you couldn't keep a secret where I was from smile

jenni123 Tue 15-Mar-22 16:17:35

Where you going? There and back to see how far it is.
what's for dinner? air Pie and windy pudding.
an adequate sufficiency, when you had enough of something.

V3ra Tue 15-Mar-22 16:48:20

If something hadn't turned out too well, my Grandma used to say, "Oh well, a blind man would be glad to see it."

Joni Tue 15-Mar-22 16:52:52

Were you born in a park?
(door was left open) or a hospital with swinging doors, was used regularly if someone left a door opened and let the heat out (before central heating)
When dad was going to the pub, he would say to us children when we asked where he was going that he was away to see a man about a dog!
As I child I would hear adults saying- If I don't see you through the week then I'll see you through the windae (window) lol

susieken Tue 15-Mar-22 17:01:18

An ample sample to describe enough food.
Fair rips my knitting —-when really annoyed by something or someone!

Granny14 Tue 15-Mar-22 17:01:40

Like my pants best out of sight was one of my mum's favourites.

popsis71 Tue 15-Mar-22 17:03:29

My M-in-L, who was from Newton-le-Willows, would often reply to the enquiry from her g'children "what you doing?" with the phrase "making layles (?) for meddlers".
No, we couldn't work it out either and somehow never got around to asking (!) so help regarding this odd phrase would be appreciated now.

Mummer Tue 15-Mar-22 17:31:58

We'd ask mama what's for tea? She'd say "Scheißreis und Kartoffels musch!" Well there rice and potato peelings in there and something else I couldn't repeat!

Mummer Tue 15-Mar-22 17:33:35

One granma would say in reply to same question "lamb fries and turkey trotters!" The lamb sounded delish, until we learned what they were when we got older!!!

Peewitt52 Tue 15-Mar-22 17:56:35

If I asked what was for dinner it was”bread & pullet, sit on the stairs and eat it”. ?‍♀️
Or if something was lost it was”up in Fanny’s room behind the clock”. Still don’t know who Fanny was.
If I asked what something was it was “a whim wham to wind the sun up”.

pearl79 Tue 15-Mar-22 18:47:20

What a wonderful selection of obscure sayings. Some nicer than others.

Leonora2
half past cheese and a breadknife
We used to say, two hairs past a spot, and it meant I'm not wearing a watch

GillT57
Thank you for A cloot, for the uninitiated, is the muslin cloth used to steam a pudding.
I always wondered why a clootie dumpling was called that!

And a BIG thank you to MargaretinNorthant for the one I want to start using myself, I've had an elephant and fish for tea. You really wouldn't need more to eat after that!

cazmum Tue 15-Mar-22 18:57:58

Nice to see some Bedfordshire grans. We might be neighbours! My mum also used to say: well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs, when she heard surprising news.

ourjude Tue 15-Mar-22 19:01:39

My father, whenever we visited somewhere that was a bit of a drive away, always said "well, we're here and to prove it we've arrived".

He was also another one who had a bone in his leg...