Gransnet forums

Chat

A pint of wallop! (Just for fun).

(89 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sat 12-Mar-22 10:33:46

A silly thing but we were laughing over breakfast today remembering my Dad saying he was going for a 'a pint of wallop'. Anyone else remember the funny things their parents called things?

dirgni Tue 15-Mar-22 19:22:39

My grandads take on weak tea “ gnats eye lotion “

LadyStardust Tue 15-Mar-22 20:40:37

Oh there are so many from my childhood, mainly used by my Dad!

When someone burped - Shut tha gate the pigs are out.

Another pig one - He couldn't stop a pig in a passage. Usually referring to someone's incompetence. But I believe it was used originally to describe someone with bandy legs.

When describing weak tea - That's not weak its helpless!

Its looking black o'er Bills Mothers. Not sure what this meant, other than it looked like rain!

This was said to me often when I tried to 'glam' myself up as a young teen. You look like Nellie Wallace!! I'm off to google Nellie Wallace now as I have no idea who she was!!

LadyStardust Tue 15-Mar-22 20:57:29

Oh I've just remembered one more. Apologies to anyone who is visually impaired. When I couldn't find or see something right in front of me, my Dad would say - A blind man, on a foggy night, three streets away in a blackout could see that!!! I love my Dad. I'll stop now. grin

Kenver60 Tue 15-Mar-22 21:04:38

Let’s go through and let the cart hang .( Lets get up from the dinner table to sit in the front room .
That knife wouldn’t cut a turd from a dogs arse .
(Blunt knife)

GirlyGran Tue 15-Mar-22 21:14:45

My Aunt used to say.. Hame'lldayme ..is a lovely place you know when talking about holidays. It's a Scottish turn of phrase for staying home.

MeowWow Tue 15-Mar-22 21:33:30

Up the wooden hill to blanket bay

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 15-Mar-22 21:39:48

My friend's son rendered an elegant sufficiency as an elephant Stephanie.

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Mar-22 22:14:39

My Aunt Molly would say if asked where she was going 'up Aldgate pump to get a bike out'. Wonderful cockney lady loved her to bits.

rubysong Tue 15-Mar-22 23:43:15

Yes, I remember my parents, in East Yorkshire, saying, "a pint of wallop" for beer. (I have a feeling it was actually, at one time, a brand name.) Jollop was something like liquid paraffin for the constipated. (I don't mean actual paraffin!)
'Bread and pullet' is what we were told we were having for tea.

Witzend Wed 16-Mar-22 11:16:29

OldHag

My Mum took the 'elegant sufficiency' one step further, her phrase when asked if she would like a second helping of something was 'no thank you, I've had elegant sufficiency of that nutritious element!' Always used to make us laugh.

A little dd once said, ‘I’m stuffed to the highest heaven’ which was an instant ‘hit’ and has long since entered family parlance.

mimismo Wed 16-Mar-22 15:22:22

'Spend a penny' came from the penny in the slot public toilets.

GreenGran78 Thu 17-Mar-22 11:26:10

"Sweet Fanny Adams," used by my Dad, when he was angry at something. I used to wonder who she was! ?

ruby2 Thu 17-Mar-22 13:47:58

My father would say Up the wooden hill and down sheet lane, for bedtime. Also going to Ourgate for our holidays