Gransnet forums

Chat

Music for my funeral, I'm forward planning!

(99 Posts)
Lilylaundry Fri 18-Mar-22 13:08:08

Does anyone know of any suitable pieces of music which can be played at my funeral? I most certain want Sailing By but haven't found another two pieces. I just love Annie's song by James Golway (spelling??) but I'm not an Annie. I have heard some classical pieces which are soothing and beautiful to hear but never caught their names.

Yammy Fri 18-Mar-22 17:42:19

Let them leave with a smile how about the 1812 overture.
My mum insisted no crying at my fathers funeral so I did the same at hers ' she had "Thine be the Glory risen conquering son'', by a Salvation Army choir, tambourines and all.I haven't decided mine yet but number one would be Edith Piaf "No regrets" accompanied by an accordion player.
My godfather in Oz had a selection of Scottish laments played by a piper.
It depends really on the personality of the person doesn't it. My DH says he wants his ashes scattered on the high fells , well if I'm still here I won't be giving myself an heart attack by fulfilling it my SIL will do it.
My father always said he wanted to go without any fuss on the Ash cart as they appropriately call it where he lived, instead he got the full Methodist works. Mine will go beside the sea and they can have " Oh'I do like to be beside the seaside" if they want to.
I strongly believe it's for those that are left to decide I won't know .

Calendargirl Fri 18-Mar-22 17:50:59

War Song by Phamie Gow.

Any of Ludovico Einaudi’s music.

EkwaNimitee Fri 18-Mar-22 17:54:05

Queen-‘Another one bites the dust’

TopsyIrene06 Fri 18-Mar-22 18:24:05

You might like

"Re-composed Spring 1" by Mark Richter from

Vivaldi's 4 Seasons.

TopsyIrene06 Fri 18-Mar-22 18:25:14

Apologies, Max Richter not Mark.

Liz46 Fri 18-Mar-22 18:32:42

My mum said she wanted 'Happiness' by Ken Dodd. My husband (who is very kind but has a warped sense of humour) suggested 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.

Yammy Fri 18-Mar-22 19:15:51

Liz46

My mum said she wanted 'Happiness' by Ken Dodd. My husband (who is very kind but has a warped sense of humour) suggested 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.

My husband is exactly the same he can't stop himself Suggested "My Way", for my mother as she was always right!!!.

silverlining48 Fri 18-Mar-22 19:16:31

Pachelbel Canon is a beautiful piece of music which I would like.

silverlining48 Fri 18-Mar-22 19:24:47

There is a lovely version of combined Over the Rainbow/wonderful world by Israel K on the uckele.

Deedaa Fri 18-Mar-22 19:37:13

For my husband's funeral I had Matt Monro singing "On Days Like These" because it had been our song since the day we got engaged. We also had "Jerusalem" because at one time he had been a Mason and finished up with the "Lacrimosa" from Mozart's Requiem. I sent my mother off to Louis Armstrong singing "When The Saints Go Marching In" which she would have loved.

I keep changing my mind about what I would like at my funeral but Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love" has been in the mix for years.

Katie59 Fri 18-Mar-22 19:53:48

What ever music you enjoy be it pop or classical, some are unusual these days, an uncle of mine had “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord”, I can think of one or two where “Ride of the Valkyrie’s” would be appropriate.

Grandma70s Fri 18-Mar-22 20:11:36

I’m not having a funeral, but if I were I would have the beautiful Dawn interlude from Britten’s Peter Grimes.

My mother wanted the slow movement of Beethoven’s 6th Symphony - I think it’s the 6th, the Pastoral. The crematorium played the cheerful 1st movement. I don’t think she would have minded.

Shandy57 Fri 18-Mar-22 20:20:40

We had a horrible time at the church with my husband's music - ended up having to find a CD to play on their tiny CD player. Do check which system they have.

Hellogirl1 Fri 18-Mar-22 20:24:34

My husband was a life long brass band musician, so I chose a piece that he`d played many times to enter the crematorium, Cornet Carillon, played by Black Dyke Band. To leave, I chose his favourite pop record, although I hate it, Angels, by Robbie Williams. For myself, I`d like the Eventide Hymn, The Day thou Gavest, and to leave, The Last Farewell, by Roger Whittaker.

tiredoldwoman Fri 18-Mar-22 20:46:33

I would like Samba Pa Ti by Santana , Mike Oldfields version of Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra and Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars . Maybe Cockney Rebel's Come up and see me Make me Smile ?

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Mar-22 21:01:20

Queen- Who wants to live forever
Eagles- Hotel California
Pogoes - Fairytale of New York.

lixy Fri 18-Mar-22 21:33:34

Vaughn Williams' Lark Ascending?

The Trefoil Guild sang 'taps' at my aunt's funeral - very moving.

Luckygirl3 Fri 18-Mar-22 21:52:01

Soroptimum

And my dear mum wants ‘Myfanwy’ sung by a Welsh Male Voice choir. Not sure how I’m going to organise that one!

I hesitate to lower the tone but I once went to a comedy musical duo and the first line of their version went....."Touch me heart before you touch Myfanwy"

I cannot hear the tune without thinking of that. smile

recklessgran Fri 18-Mar-22 21:55:09

I'd like Thank Heaven For Little Girls going in [we have 5 DD's] and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life going out. Those 2 tunes sum me up I think. DH wants The Great Escape going out - I wonder why?

Chestnut Fri 18-Mar-22 23:43:24

Some seriously weird choices here. If they played 'Fairy Tale of New York' I would have to leave. Have a thought for the people listening.

supernanauna1 Fri 18-Mar-22 23:55:22

Jerusalema and I'd like the attendees to do the dance in the aisle. Seriously.

Kate1949 Sat 19-Mar-22 00:03:47

Deedaa's post reminded me of the wonderful voice of Matt Munro. His Softly, I will leave you softly would also be lovely.

Candelle Sat 19-Mar-22 00:29:13

Brahms' German Requiem?

Sublime music with seven movements, all heart-renderingly beautiful.

Candelle Sat 19-Mar-22 00:35:01

My uncle rather surprised the congregation at his crematorium funeral some fifty years ago as he had asked for 'Colonel Bogey' to play him out.

In those days it was completely unexpected and his housekeeper burst into tears at the shock.

harrigran Sat 19-Mar-22 00:45:44

We took DH into the crematorium to Freddie Mercury singing My melancholy blues, Queen had been a big part of our lives and DD won search for a star with that number. The piece for contemplation was Liebestraum played by Lang Lang and to finish we had Nat King Cole singing Autumn leaves, DH loved his voice.