Gransnet forums

Chat

I did it - I retired today!

(61 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 01-Apr-22 06:37:50

Yesterday I retired - seven years after setting up a charity to help homeless and vulnerably housed people. I’ve loved the job and learned so much from my colleagues and, especially, the clients, but I finally reached the point where I couldn’t continue without significantly damaging my health. It was a job with no financial reward, but the satisfaction I achieved was more than sufficient recompense.

Some of you will remember we were looking for volunteers to carry on the work and I’m happy to report that there’s now a team of eight people who are already enthusiastically doing the job. So I can leave knowing that the charity is in good hands.

Now my focus is on restoring my health, shedding some excess weight and looking forward to spending more time with my family who are all very relieved that I made it out alive! ?

I also have a new grandchild on the way - so exciting. ??

Kim19 Sun 03-Apr-22 16:47:31

Don't we all just love a happy ending. Well done to you, GA. Here's to a healthy and exciting new chapter in your life. Love it! ???

MissMarpleknows Fri 01-Apr-22 17:31:38

Congratulations Granny Activist. Wishing you many years of happy, healthy retirement ?

Smileless2012 Fri 01-Apr-22 17:28:15

Time now for you and your family grannyactivist. You've built a firm foundation for your charity, a wonderful legacy flowers.

V3ra Fri 01-Apr-22 17:20:46

The end of an era, and the start of another to look forward to and enjoy ?

Auntieflo Fri 01-Apr-22 16:19:33

Grannyactivist, bouquets?? to you, well done and enjoy your retirement.
I have enjoyed reading about some of your "doings", and thought what a wonderful thing you were up to.
Here's hoping that your health recovers in the near future.

crazyH Fri 01-Apr-22 15:28:17

Well done for all the good work over the years. What a selfless achievement ! Enjoy your retirement flowers

BBbevan Fri 01-Apr-22 15:25:01

Well done. I hope your charity goes from strength to strength and that you have a fabulous retirement. Well deserved, I would say.

nadateturbe Fri 01-Apr-22 15:19:35

Congratulations for all the wonderful work you have done Grannyactivist. You will have made such a difference to the lives of so many.
Enjoy your well deserved retirement. ?

mokryna Fri 01-Apr-22 15:15:30

Congratulations, enjoy your retirement and take care of yourself.

Grandmashe43 Fri 01-Apr-22 14:58:58

Thank you for all the wonderful work you have done and all you have accomplished.
Enjoy your retirement to the fullest.

Blossoming Fri 01-Apr-22 14:00:44

I have always admired the work that you did GrannyActivist. It must have taken such a lot out of you and you deserve and need a restful retirement. You have left a good foundation behind you.

grannyactivist Fri 01-Apr-22 13:33:01

Thank you all so much for your kind comments.

I had planned to retire early next year and had begun preparations for it, but my recent episode of TGA has thrown all my plans out of kilter. I was diagnosed with a mild cognitive impairment some years ago, but it made little difference to my daily life. Since the TGA episode it’s an everyday occurrence to struggle to develop my thinking processes and emotions are all over the place! I believe it’s only temporary and that I will make a better recovery in time, but it made sense, as the new team is working very well in my absence, to step down sooner rather than later.

I won’t be idle, but I will be able to pace myself now, and once I’m better there are a lot of interests I’ll have time to explore so I’m quite excited. ?

Parsley3 Fri 01-Apr-22 10:08:29

Enjoy your well earned retirement grannyactivist ?

Grannybags Fri 01-Apr-22 09:53:21

Enjoy your retirement. Soon you'll be wondering how you ever found the time to go work!

Also congratulations on your new grandchild flowers

merlotgran Fri 01-Apr-22 09:46:25

Enjoy your well earned retirement, ga

timetogo2016 Fri 01-Apr-22 09:44:15

Enjoy your retirement Grannyactivist and your new Gc when he/she arrives.
What`s the betting you will be busier than ever.

rafichagran Fri 01-Apr-22 09:41:46

Congratulationsflowers

hulahoop Fri 01-Apr-22 09:41:05

Congratulations enjoy the next phase of your life?

Kate1949 Fri 01-Apr-22 09:37:24

How lovely. Enjoy your retirement. You won't regret it. Enjoy your new grandchild too.

henetha Fri 01-Apr-22 09:36:28

You have earned a well deserved happy retirement.
Well done. flowers

Susan56 Fri 01-Apr-22 09:32:55

Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy retirement?

Doodledog Fri 01-Apr-22 09:32:42

Congratulations on your work, and best wishes for a relaxing retirement - you've earned it!

lixy Fri 01-Apr-22 09:32:39

Congratulations! cafe

Elusivebutterfly Fri 01-Apr-22 09:28:25

Best wishes for your retirement and your new grandchild.

Gilly3 Fri 01-Apr-22 09:27:45

Congratulations. Enjoy it.