Gransnet forums

Chat

45p extra on my extra coffee this morning! 😱

(49 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 01-Apr-22 12:10:33

I like getting a coffee from our independent cafe bar in the square downstairs. I do like to support our independents where I can.

However their coffee has gone up in price, C.... (the owner) told me as she served me... okay I thought. But it was a whopping 20% rise! Up from £2.50 a takeaway coffee to £2.95. That’s some increase.

I’ve just checked out the Gregg’s site & their regular white is £1.50 - quite a difference! Do I support the independent, maybe buying less of them or go to Gregg’s instead?

There’s going to be a lot of this to weigh up this year. So many price rises.
I think people are going to shop around much more. Or cull their habits. At these prices I fear some independents won’t survive!

rafichagran Fri 01-Apr-22 12:21:55

While you can, have the coffee you enjoy most. I have a lovely coffee shop in our town. I go to Gregg's for my sausage roll, then go over and get the coffee I like.
I am not in a position where I have to deprive myself yet, so I am going to enjoy it while I can.

Casdon Fri 01-Apr-22 12:26:30

Are you sitting down in the cafe to have the coffee Urmstongran? If you are, then it is worth paying the extra I think - that’s about what you pay at the chains like Costa and Starbucks. You could always continue to support your independent cafe, but go less often?

MawtheMerrier Fri 01-Apr-22 12:30:08

I used to own a "self-help" the book called something like Always Drink Good Coffee.
It clearly made an impression on me as I love my Nespresso machine most out of all my gadgets. Sadly, coffee shop coffees don't always deliver on what they promise. I have given up on lattes (cup of frothy warm beige milk) and would rather have a flat white, but I am picky and would rather go without than shell out on a disappointing one.
Independent coffee shops are nearly always better. To be fair to them, their outgoing will have risen just like for the rest of us, and it comes down to how much we want to see them continue in existence.
Talking of prices though, how much of a rip off is herbal tea n coffee shops? a cup of hot water, a teabag in the saucer and a fancy price to match. in the trendy coffee shops my Ds have taken me to in Walthamstow or Moseley I love when I get a little individual (usually glass) teapot with fresh mint in it.

grandMattie Fri 01-Apr-22 12:41:19

Urms, I think it’s up to you, your conscience and your purse. Perhaps to salve your conscience, you could do alternate days, on then t’other….

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Apr-22 13:22:38

If it was me I would support the independent cafe ( we have a couple of excellent ones near here, two in my road)

Elusivebutterfly Fri 01-Apr-22 13:27:01

The chains usually offer a paper cup, whilst independents offer a proper cup. I would much rather pay more for a proper cup for coffee or tea and go less often.

Lucca Fri 01-Apr-22 13:28:49

I hardly ever have a takeaway coffee. I like to sit in a cafe, have a decent coffee and read the paper. Otherwise I might as well have a coffee at home….and I dread to think what Greggs coffee is like..

Riverwalk Fri 01-Apr-22 13:37:40

Today VAT returned to 20% in the hospitality business so that would account for some of the increase.

I'd support the independent - can't imagine Greggs' coffee is as good!

Maudi Fri 01-Apr-22 13:39:00

Well I'm in Weatherspoons waiting for my car to be fixed £1.20 and as many refills as you can drink 😊
All depends Urmstongran if you think paying the extra is worth it to you.

Hithere Fri 01-Apr-22 13:41:25

Smaller independent businesses do not have the cut cost advantages big chains have

timetogo2016 Fri 01-Apr-22 13:47:11

That increase will mount up over a year Urmstrongran,but if you enjoy it,why change ?.

J52 Fri 01-Apr-22 14:00:34

I’d much rather have a good quality coffee in the ambiance of my independent local coffee shop and pay a little extra. If the cost rose and ever became an issue, I’d go less frequently. Don’t think that’s likely though.

Hithere Fri 01-Apr-22 14:04:06

I would continue supporting the independent shops

Let's also remember the supply chain is disrpted and if everything is more expensive it scarce for individuals, it is the same case for businesses

Squiffy Fri 01-Apr-22 14:08:51

Wetherspoons use Lavazza for their decaffeinated coffee, so despite being cheap, it's also a very good coffee. Having said that, we like to support our local independents as well!

TerriBull Fri 01-Apr-22 14:28:59

I once had a seriously bad "having a coffee out" habit which I broke when I discovered the pod for me and now prefer coffee at home. Having said that I would absolutely choose an independent over the chains who often have a better ambiance as well as preferable coffee. Although when I order a flat white it has to look the business, like the picture you have uploaded Urmston, smaller and good quality every time, if the cup is too big and looks as if it could contain soup, that for me is unappealing as is loads of froth on the top, and not hot enough brew such a sin when it costs what it does! It's noticeable how right some cafes can get it as opposed to those who have no idea. The coffee is only ever as good as the barista who makes it! and yes so expensive now, not likely to get any change out of £3. It is nice to have a coffee out, but as you say pricy. Heaven knows there are such a proliferation of coffee shops all over the place we have clearly become a serious coffee drinking nation. Having said that I remember "the bottomless cawfee pot" offered in most American diners, may well be bottomless but personally never wanted more than one cup invariably tasted stewed imo and would rather pay £3 for a really good cup.

harold Fri 01-Apr-22 14:34:28

We do enjoy going to different cafes for coffee and cake but do prefer to be where the price of coffee/chocolate/lemon/victoria cake is not as high as £3.75 on top of the price of coffee. We do end up sharing the cake sometimes.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Apr-22 15:13:52

At this rate I’ll be thinking of sharing my coffee harold!

Yes, I understand the VAT is back on from today so a small price rise was to be expected - say up to £2.70 from the £2.50. There were 14 customers in the cafe at 10:30am but at £2.95 (with other price rises too across the board) I think it remains to be seen how such increases on top of others - petrol, council tax, utility bills etc - will affect the spending habits of its paying customers going forward.

It’s a nice, friendly family cafe/bar. I’d hate to lose it in the square and their ‘Illy’ coffee is lovely. I will continue to support them.

Thanks for replies folks. 😊

LauraNorderr Fri 01-Apr-22 15:27:35

If you can afford it Urms then go right on enjoying this little treat. Don't think about the cost, think about the pleasure.

On top of that, maybe you are helping the independent cafe owner's little family to be warm and happy too.

rafichagran Fri 01-Apr-22 16:17:36

Lucca

I hardly ever have a takeaway coffee. I like to sit in a cafe, have a decent coffee and read the paper. Otherwise I might as well have a coffee at home….and I dread to think what Greggs coffee is like..

Gregg's sausage rolls are the best, but the coffee t is alful, but to be fair it is personnel taste. I agree with you about having a good coffee. I also read in coffee shops.

Gilly3 Fri 01-Apr-22 16:26:26

I would probably pay the increase in my local independent café. The sad thing is that I wouldn't leave my usual 50p tip so the young waitress who brings it to the table would miss out.

MerylStreep Fri 01-Apr-22 16:34:42

Oh dear Maudi don’t tell posters you went into Weatherspoons, you’ll be cancelled, a non person.
I suppose it could have been worse, you could have been reading the Daily Mail in Weatherspoons. 😱

LOUISA1523 Fri 01-Apr-22 16:40:37

Lucca

Its fine🙄

BlueBalou Fri 01-Apr-22 16:57:40

Lucca

🙄 Actually Greggs coffee is far nicer than Starbucks, MacDonalds or Câfé Nero’s!
There’s nothing to stop you taking your own travel mug or cup too, that’s what I do 😊

Blondiescot Fri 01-Apr-22 17:02:07

BlueBalou

Lucca

🙄 Actually Greggs coffee is far nicer than Starbucks, MacDonalds or Câfé Nero’s!
There’s nothing to stop you taking your own travel mug or cup too, that’s what I do 😊

I'm with you on that, BlueBalou - I'm far from a coffee snob, but Greggs' coffee is actually pretty decent, and their morning offer (a hot drink and bacon or sausage roll) is pretty good value too. I do like to support independent cafes and shops wherever possible, but there are none open early enough when I'm on my way to work.