Gransnet forums

Chat

The life you could have had

(188 Posts)
Grandmabatty Mon 04-Apr-22 07:45:18

I have made good and bad decisions, probably in equal measure! I tend not to dwell on either and live in the here and now. One decision has, however, always interested me as to what my life might have been. I passed civil service exams etc when I was 17 and was invited to work in London in the DSS. I took cold feet and turned it down and went to university instead. I don't regret that decision but I've occasionally wondered what my life could have been.

Hiraeth Mon 04-Apr-22 07:43:20

That is so important for me to look back and be content with the past . Life is still good and everyone makes mistakes that is human

M0nica Mon 04-Apr-22 07:35:23

I think for most women our lives are often led by what our husbands did.

Apart from DH, there were two men in my life that I probably would have married had one or two things happened differently. Both have died in the last 10 years.

One moved to Australia in his 30s, and I am glad things resulted the way they did. I had a very peripatetic childhood and I do not think I would have been happy so far from my immediate family. The other was a doctor and joined a practice in a remote rural part of Britain where work and career opportunities for me would have been limited.

As it is, the marriage I actually made, as well as making me happy, enabled me to live somewhere where there were suitable job opportunities, and if not close to family, at least I had them within a couple of hours drive

Of course I have made poor decisions in life and had my fair share of tragedies and unhappiness, no ones life is perfect. But overall, when I look at the alternative lifes I could have had, I am glad I have had the one I have.

Allsorts Mon 04-Apr-22 07:30:56

My regret is breaking my heart over people that were not worth it. Over worrying and taking responsibility for their inadequacies, wasted a lot of time on them. I’m older and wiser, did my best at the time, you can’t do more. I know I wouldn’t be anywhere in the world but here in the uk and I’ve done a lot of travelling, I’ve had a good life and I’m thankful, but I’ve things yet to do.

Calendargirl Mon 04-Apr-22 07:30:43

As we get older, we can all look back and wish we had chosen different paths and done different things.

I wish I had worked harder at school. I wish I had thought more about what job I did when I left. Should I have branched out and worked away, instead of remaining in my little home town, marrying young to a lovely lad with no ambitions either, having our family and just getting on with our uneventful life?

But we are still together after nearly 50 years, pretty content, comfortable, two adult children, married with five grandchildren.

Who knows what would have been if I had trodden a different path?

Hiraeth Mon 04-Apr-22 07:24:14

Ive come to the decision that it’s no good looking back and thinking I wish I had done that this or the other . The past has gone . It’s the future that’s now important for me as I’m realising that time is flying and I’ve got hundreds of „ to do lists“ I hope to be able to do in the next few years

kittylester Mon 04-Apr-22 07:22:13

My thinking is similar to karmalady. At various 'forks in the road' I made choices I am very happy with now.

I am a glass half full type of person and I wonder if that makes a difference. Or I am not very self reflective.

karmalady Mon 04-Apr-22 07:17:07

I am content and glad to be so, it is a nice state to be in, no regrets about my life and especially none about my choice of husband. I look back and can see all those choices from a young age, it was my fate to take the paths I did

travelsafar Mon 04-Apr-22 07:15:27

Me too. If only we could turn back the clock with the knowledge we now have.

FannyCornforth Mon 04-Apr-22 07:08:27

Yup, same here

BigBertha1 Mon 04-Apr-22 06:54:26

I wonder about this all the time and know what bad decisions I made...drives me potty.

GagaJo Mon 04-Apr-22 00:21:26

- turned my back on.

GagaJo Mon 04-Apr-22 00:20:27

I'm a funny age. A lot more life gone than life left. I keep thinking back to the opportunities I've turned by back on, and wonder what would my life have been like if I'd taken one of them.

I wonder what it would be like, living in New Mexico. A lovely place, that I enjoyed at the time.

Or, married again (not sorry I passed this one up, TBH).

Living in Spain. Certainly DGS would love it. Lovely beaches. Beautiful scenery.

Still living in East Anglia. Funny old place. Warmer than where I am now.

All those other lives. I wonder if any of them would have been better than what I have now. Or maybe, just different.