Gransnet forums

Chat

Which were your fav sitcoms?

(120 Posts)
Audi10 Fri 15-Apr-22 13:30:18

My favourites were Keeping up Appearances! Steptoe & Son & On the buses! Which were yours!

Spinnaker Fri 15-Apr-22 23:25:21

Phoenix Nights
Early Doors
Gavin & Stacy
Rising Damp
Love Thy Neighbour
Til Death Do Us Part
Father Ted

Grammaretto Fri 15-Apr-22 23:28:27

I had forgotten Dinner Ladies and Ab Fab! How could I.
The Vicar of Dibley was funny too.
I am still looking for something really funny now.

MissAdventure Fri 15-Apr-22 23:51:58

I,absolutely loved Derek.
I'm not sure if Ricky Gervais is 'in' or 'out' in popularity at the minute, but Derek was brilliant.

Llamedos13 Sat 16-Apr-22 02:57:31

Father Ted was my all time favourite.

Bridie22 Sat 16-Apr-22 06:59:21

Yes to Derek and Afterlife also.

DanniRae Sat 16-Apr-22 07:36:00

In recent times we have enjoyed "Motherland" and "The Detectorists" - looking forward to them both coming back smile

Vintagejazz Sat 16-Apr-22 08:15:33

Derry Girls is excellent as well.

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Apr-22 08:28:42

Ever Decreasing Circles - enjoying watching the rerun on the Drama channel every afternoon!

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Apr-22 08:32:13

Chewbacca, another vote here for Northern Exposure, absolutely loved it; ooh and how could I forget MASH, with the sublime Alan Alda?

lil57 Sat 16-Apr-22 08:42:08

Desmond's
The Good Life
Love Thy Neighbour
Ever Decreasing Circles
Dinnerladies
The Royle Family

Kate1949 Sat 16-Apr-22 09:45:09

Drop The Dead Donkey was quite funny.

Witzend Sat 16-Apr-22 10:15:59

Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister were probably top favourites.
Also ‘Allo ‘Allo, for sheer comic daftness.

And One Foot In The Grave - favourite ever bit was when they were stuck in a traffic jam and Victor Meldrew was endlessly moaning and saying he wished he was dead.

Followed eventually by Mrs Meldrew (can’t remember her name) bursting out with a heartfelt ‘I wish you were dead!!!’ ?

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 10:21:45

Tales if the Unexpected on Sky Arts now has got Peter Egan in it. Having forgotten about him for years he keeps popping up all over the place!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Apr-22 11:01:33

I used to love tales of the unexpected.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 11:09:59

It’s on several times a day on Sky Arts. I only realised that Sky Arts was free to air by accident. I have the tv on throughout the night but my favourite channel BBC4 ends at 4 and I realised that Sky Arts is on 24/7. They even had Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets on the other night. I’m still not going to the cinema or concerts and was bemoaning the fact that I can’t go to see it when it comes to my area so I was chuffed to be able to watch it.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Apr-22 11:11:52

I like the Sky Arts channel, too.

They have some excellent music programmes on.

Curlywhirly Sat 16-Apr-22 11:17:22

Father Ted
Rising Damp
Friends
The Thick of It
Rab C Nesbitt
Derry Girls

Caleo Sat 16-Apr-22 11:25:31

Fawlty Towers is the most addictive.

Dinner Ladies is feel-good as all the characters are loveable.

The only sitcom that made me laugh helplessly is special bits of One Foot In The Grave. Victor Meldrew is marvellously funny.

I loved Father Ted as a sweet character who made fun of something that takes itself too seriously.

Grammaretto Sat 16-Apr-22 11:52:03

You keep reminding me of more!
I loved Father Ted,
Blackadder
Mash too despite it being American
How could I forget Fawlty Towers! (although I was convinced it was based on stories from the hotel run by my in-laws grin)
Dad's Army

HowVeryDareYou Sat 16-Apr-22 12:01:18

Only Fools and Horses
Blackadder
Keeping up Appearances
The Office
Porridge

Not sitcoms, but I loved Trigger Happy TV, The League of Gentlemen, and Inside No. 9

Floradora9 Sat 16-Apr-22 16:02:31

Grandmabatty

The good life. The High Life which only ran for eight episodes but I found it hilarious. It started Alan Cummings, Forbes Masson and Siobhan Redmond. Very Scottish so might have been local to me.

Oh yes the High Life with the quote " would you like a wee tootle of shortie " I loved it .

Floradora9 Sat 16-Apr-22 16:09:57

One Foot in the Grave is on something like the Drama channel as repeats . We have watched it from the first episode again and loved it . Still Game makes me cringe despite being Scottish. I noticed nobody mentioned " It Aint Half Hot Mum " one of my school friends was in it but it will never be repeated . We enjoyed it at the time .

tiredoldwoman Sat 16-Apr-22 16:53:38

I used to love Roseanne.

tiredoldwoman Sat 16-Apr-22 17:15:59

Can anyone remember the name of an American sit-com shown at teatime about a big blonde single mother , she was a welder !

Sarahmob Sat 16-Apr-22 17:27:53

Dinner ladies - just watched the series again on Britbox and was reminded what a loss Victoria Wood’s death was to the world of comedy.