Gransnet forums

Chat

Recommend washing machine please

(30 Posts)
Audi10 Sun 24-Apr-22 12:36:59

Basically which washing machines are you all happy with! I’ve always bought Hotpoints or Hoover! As long as I have a decent size drum 8kg and a highish spin speed! I’m happy! My last washing machine had 14 min wash & 28 min wash! But I’ve come to the conclusion the fancier it is the more than can go wrong! Am I right!

Welshwife Sun 24-Apr-22 13:07:25

I tend to agree with the more fancier the more to go wrong but most machines now have a ‘motherboard’ which controls things. My machine is a duff one really has a U.K. label but I think it was made in an Easter European country - it is 10/12 years old though so good value but does not spin well.
Both DD and DGD have Samsung ones which play a little tune when finished - they take a large load and they spin the clothes very very well. DD left one of these machines in a house she sold and having moved again has now bought another one.

Pepper59 Sun 24-Apr-22 13:13:36

I think they are all much of a muchness. A relative has a Samsung machine and has had an awful time with it. Engineer been out and it broke down again a few days later. I don't think appliances last long now at all. We were fortunate to get 12 years with our previous washing machine ( Indesit).

MiniMoon Sun 24-Apr-22 13:24:15

I have an Indesit washing machine. It's my second one, the first one was over 20 years old when it finally rattled to its end. I hope this one is as good.

Charleygirl5 Sun 24-Apr-22 13:25:14

My latest is a Siemens. I am partially sight impaired but thanks to a GN member mine is now up and working. I had visions of the local service wash.

Be careful because mine prefers to run on liquid was whereas I use powder and liquid capsules. Mine has a 5 year guarantee but some have 10 years.

Be careful because many need the use of a smartphone or wifi connection- all beyond this simple mind.

The instruction book I think is for use with somebody who has a degree in electronics so most of it is beyond me.

Good luck, you will need it.

Jaxjacky Sun 24-Apr-22 13:28:44

We have a Howdens Lamona 9kg with 14000 spin speed. It has a 12 minute quick wash and a longer eco wash, the only two I use plus the spin. It’s very quiet and just beeps when finished. Howdens did our kitchen refit, we chose the appliances.

TwinLolly Sun 24-Apr-22 13:54:10

Mum in law bought an LG washing machine last year.
Needless to say we ended up getting an LG washing machine too, after our washing machine gave up. We have been happy with it so far.

Have a look what is in you budget, and what your needs are as regards to different cycles, and have a look around.

Good luck!

Dizza25 Sun 24-Apr-22 14:01:18

We have always bought either zanussi or from John Lewis ( own brand} had 4 in total and they all lasted at least 10 years even with 3 children. We have another John Lewis now, 7 years and still going strong- and we had 5 adults in the house for most of that time plus doing my parents washing! In fairness we only use 3 or 4 of the 10 or so wash programmes!

Allsorts Sun 24-Apr-22 14:03:06

Go really basic.

Joseanne Sun 24-Apr-22 14:03:40

I am pleased with my AEG lavamat. It has a spin speed of 1600 which is good for the dogs' towels. I particularly like the easy to read digital display which tells me minute by minute how much time is left on the wash before it finishes.

Auntieflo Sun 24-Apr-22 17:45:27

Our Miele washing machine has done us sterling service since
2006, with no problems.
Likewise, the Miele dish washer, we have had since 2001.

DanniRae Sun 24-Apr-22 17:52:38

I have a Bosch and I am really happy with it - smile

BlueSky Sun 24-Apr-22 18:07:45

Same here DanniRae very happy with my Bosch!

Grannynannywanny Sun 24-Apr-22 18:07:52

My Zanussi is still going strong after 15 years. 3 family members all have the same one and for around the same time. I’d buy the same or equivalent again when the time comes. My friend bought an expensive top of the range washer last year and has had numerous problems with it. It’s very hi tech. Who needs WiFi on a washing machine??

pinkprincess Sun 24-Apr-22 19:17:02

Auntieflo

I have had a Miele washer for two years now and I love and almost worship it.
My last one was a Borsch lasted about 5 years.
The other long lasting one was a Whirlpool,bought it second hand from an old lady who had only used it four times before she had to go into a care home.Gave us 10 years service before giving up the ghost.That was when I had DS DIL and their two young children living me was used almost daily.

annodomini Sun 24-Apr-22 20:50:30

I have a very simple Zanussi washing machine with a limited but adequate number of programs, no flashing lights and it doesn't play a tune when it finishes a wash. So far, it has lasted for ten years without any problems. Visiting my son and family, I have tried to understand their superior machine with its multiplicity of programs and it performed no better than my much simpler machine.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Apr-22 21:49:20

Mine's a Siemens and about 8 years old. It's got several programmes, including a 15 minute one, but I only tend to use three of them. Adjustable temperatures and spin speeds and an extra rinse option except on the 15 minute wash which is a pity.

aggie Sun 24-Apr-22 22:02:03

My Bosch is good , I recommend that brand , it’s about 6 yrs old

Lovetopaint037 Mon 25-Apr-22 09:49:03

Callistemon21

Mine's a Siemens and about 8 years old. It's got several programmes, including a 15 minute one, but I only tend to use three of them. Adjustable temperatures and spin speeds and an extra rinse option except on the 15 minute wash which is a pity.

Mine is the same and also 8 years old. Crossing everything as machines I have had before die at this time. So far very pleased with it. I use the 15min, the 40, 60 and from time to time a 90 degree wash as this is recommended in instructions. I leave the door open after the wash for the seals etc to dry out.

Susie42 Mon 25-Apr-22 13:01:03

I have an LG which is about twelve years old and I’ve never had a problem with it. My first machine was an AEG and I’ve been told that it’s still in use.

midgey Mon 25-Apr-22 13:05:26

You might need to bear in mind where the machine is sited as noise level can vary hugely. I am very pleased with my Bosch Serie 4, it is quiet but not speedy. I think the better the eco rating the longer the wash.

karmalady Mon 25-Apr-22 13:07:54

miele, at last after a lifetime of others. My sister had her miele for 25 years

Hopikins Mon 25-Apr-22 13:11:43

Miele every time.

Helen657 Mon 25-Apr-22 13:15:30

Love my Bosch, which is now 15 years old. When it breaks I will get Bosch again but only if it has certain programme options, must haves for me are -
Fast spin (1200+)
Half load option
Short wash programme
Timer delay

H1954 Mon 25-Apr-22 13:22:30

Jaxjacky

We have a Howdens Lamona 9kg with 14000 spin speed. It has a 12 minute quick wash and a longer eco wash, the only two I use plus the spin. It’s very quiet and just beeps when finished. Howdens did our kitchen refit, we chose the appliances.

Is that a typo Jaxjacky, or does is really have a 14,000 rpm son speed? ?