Gransnet forums

Chat

bloody B B C

(45 Posts)
jomo Wed 27-Apr-22 12:34:23

how can the BBC justify taking away our free tv license then taking away my fav. HOLBY CITY . why must we pay to watch already well off people traveling the world doing family history making stuff all of which is of no interest to me. where are all our good dramas gone. we get a odd one then nothing for ages . well that my moan done .

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 17:50:21

The young people in my family don’t watch terrestrial TV, they cherry pick what they want from all the streaming platforms.

It’s the way to go as I think the BBC are not the institution they were, and ITV networks are full of blooming annoying advertisements that play over and over making me feel brainwashed !!

Pepper59 Mon 02-May-22 17:44:44

I just wish the BBC would fix their b****y I- Player, then, leave it alone!

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-22 15:42:05

The adverts on the commercial channels go on much longer than before with even shorter gaps fir the actual programme one is watching, it’s dire.
I watch tv in real time and the bbc being independent has no adverts at all, thank goodness. Long may that remain.
I don’t watch soaps, holby or otherwise, and never watched any of the reality progs, but am ok with those who do.
I really value the bbc both tv and radio, even if my dh was deprived at the last minute of a free licence,

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 02-May-22 14:56:34

hollysteers

If you don’t like adverts, why don’t you just record the programmes then whizz through them?

We always do that!

hollysteers Mon 02-May-22 14:30:29

If you don’t like adverts, why don’t you just record the programmes then whizz through them?

Aveline Mon 02-May-22 13:24:57

The BBC coverage of the war in Ukraine underlined the value of the BBC for me. I'm happy to pay the licence fee.

OakDryad Mon 02-May-22 13:18:59

infoman

Just wish there was a site/forum where we can express our thanks to the BBC for the great job they do,
as well as the occasional errors that happen.

You could try Feedback infoman or for online chat about TV and TV content you might try the DigitalSpy forum.

infoman Mon 02-May-22 12:29:45

Just wish there was a site/forum where we can express our thanks to the BBC for the great job they do,
as well as the occasional errors that happen.

OakDryad Thu 28-Apr-22 10:31:01

harold

I like the BBC because there are no adverts. I also watch the other main channels but the adverts are really, really annoying during dramas.

Exactly, Harold. The BBC has an income of around £5bn (2020 numbers) with £3.5bn coming from the licence fee. Of the remainder, more than £1.3bn came through BBC Studios, a commercial branch that generates money by selling BBC content to international distributors and other ventures.

An alternative is advertising which would likely lead to a reduction in the diversity of programming and a reliance on popular programmes which draw in more viewers.

The current colour licence fee costs £159, just over £3 a week, less than half the price of most digital apps which have nowhere near the quantity of programmes and breadth of coverage. I count in this live TV, live radio, the extensive range of catch up material for both including the fantastic archive (which some may not have heard of) that is the BBC Genome project.

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

Granmarderby10 Thu 28-Apr-22 10:19:02

Viewers are unable to access the iPlayer and other catch-ups such as itv hub, more4 and my5 if they have no internet connection or digital box device.
So it is an extra expense really.

I do thoroughly appreciate the BBC iPlayer and being able to watch without interruptions from commercials….but if you are hard up, as many more will be soon, then £3.31 a week for a piece of paper or online equivalent, to watch tv without the threat of prosecution ….well it might just be too much.

If you haven’t already got a license then the entry level cost per week is shocking - in fact double that £3 odd. THAT IS A LOT

Glorianny Thu 28-Apr-22 09:53:58

The BBC is in any case no longer one organisation. It has a commercial wing, which is an independent company and makes money. It's called BBC studios and it made £200 million which helps to subsidise the licence cost. www.bbcstudios.com/
Of course the government would rather that money went into the pockets of their rich mates

Lucca Thu 28-Apr-22 09:51:19

nanna8

It is ridiculous that you have to pay and I don’t understand why you put up with this.

It’s worth it

nanna8 Thu 28-Apr-22 09:10:01

It is ridiculous that you have to pay and I don’t understand why you put up with this.

Franbern Thu 28-Apr-22 08:43:02

BBC NEVER TOOK AWAY FREE LICENCE!!! This was given by Government and taken away by Tory Government.

The BBC offered to try to continue granting it from their own funds, but found it impossible to continue indefinitely as the Government was also stopping them raising the licence fee. They have, however, said they would keep it in place out of their very depleted funds for people on Pension Credit.

Blame the Tory Government for the loss of this facility. Actually, it is quite apparent that this government would love to discontinue with the BBC and would like to privatise it entirely (as they are doing with the NHS).

Yes, I am and have been a long-time fan of Holby City and am very sorry at its loss - I do not watch any of the so-called reality programmes. However, I appreciate so many programmes on the BBC - Winter/Autumn/Summer Watch, wonderful dramas, David Attenborough - and so many more.

Cabbie21 Thu 28-Apr-22 08:34:08

A recent pilot project removed the ability for a small number of people to watch or listen to BBC TV and radio for a number of weeks. Previously 70% of those people had said they would not pay for a licence, but changed their minds when they realised how much they missed it. I think it is good value for money, though I was sad when they axed Holby. Of course, you need a licence to watch any channel, not just BBC.

Lucca Thu 28-Apr-22 08:22:53

M0nica

I had never even heard of Sarah Pascoe until this thread so came to last night's SB with no idea who or what she was. I thought she made a good presenter.

But this is the point, when people complain when 'their' programme is discontinued, instead of someone elsese, that they do not like a specific presenter that many people do. The BBC, puts on a wide range of programmes to meet the enjoyment of as many people as possible, it is inevitable that it will show programmes that interest one group and bore another. Expecting them to favour one person's choices over another is ridiculous and selfish.

Goodness I don’t expect anything of the sort !! I only mentioned Sara pascoe in passing ! It’s no big deal

Galaxy Thu 28-Apr-22 08:21:56

I agree Monica I dont watch either Sewing Bee or listen to Radio 6 for example, I am able to cope with the fact that people have diffferent tastes to me.

M0nica Thu 28-Apr-22 08:10:04

I had never even heard of Sarah Pascoe until this thread so came to last night's SB with no idea who or what she was. I thought she made a good presenter.

But this is the point, when people complain when 'their' programme is discontinued, instead of someone elsese, that they do not like a specific presenter that many people do. The BBC, puts on a wide range of programmes to meet the enjoyment of as many people as possible, it is inevitable that it will show programmes that interest one group and bore another. Expecting them to favour one person's choices over another is ridiculous and selfish.

PinkCosmos Wed 27-Apr-22 16:52:22

The licence fee is great value when you consider the content and quality that the BBC provide - tv, radio, iPlayer.

Floradora9 Wed 27-Apr-22 16:44:20

As entertainment costs go the license is good value . Why should we get a free one when some families are struggling to feed their children .

sodapop Wed 27-Apr-22 16:41:17

I agree Lucca British TV is much better France & USA but I do miss Holby City.

Lucca Wed 27-Apr-22 16:19:45

Love sewing bee although I don’t sew. But I’m afraid I’m not a fan of Sara pascoe I liked Joe L

harold Wed 27-Apr-22 16:00:41

I like the BBC because there are no adverts. I also watch the other main channels but the adverts are really, really annoying during dramas.

Athrawes Wed 27-Apr-22 16:00:28

S4C has some super programmes. The serial plays can be nail biting! Yes, it's in Welsh but the subtitles are fine.

PinkCosmos Wed 27-Apr-22 15:55:58

Monica - I am not a tv watcher and never have been. I am a doer not a watcher, no value judgment there, if i do watch tv, and I am an avid Sewing Bee watcher

Sewing Bee is back on BBC 1 tonight at 8pm. Sarah Pascoe is the new presenter. She seems to be on everything these days. I think I preferred Joe Lycett. Love Esme though. I didn't realise she had such an interesting background.