Gransnet forums

Chat

bloody B B C

(44 Posts)
jomo Wed 27-Apr-22 12:34:23

how can the BBC justify taking away our free tv license then taking away my fav. HOLBY CITY . why must we pay to watch already well off people traveling the world doing family history making stuff all of which is of no interest to me. where are all our good dramas gone. we get a odd one then nothing for ages . well that my moan done .

shysal Wed 27-Apr-22 12:37:34

I have never watched Holby City, but am also fed up with 'celebs' travelling here, there and everywhere.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Apr-22 13:29:44

I used to enjoy Holby and do miss it and I can’t bear to watch all these over loaded celebrities (and often their sons) travelling and having great fun etc at our expense places and things most of us can’t afford to take our families

paddyann54 Wed 27-Apr-22 13:38:32

Their SNP bad bias is on a high too,News reporter on Arran sounding off about the lack of ferries there and guess what sailed in behind her...thats right the ARRAN ferry ,the company has since asked for a retraction as 2 of the three ferries are working and only one is being serviced.Why ruin a company by lying just to get at the Devolved government.?

M0nica Wed 27-Apr-22 13:52:50

why must we pay to watch already well off people traveling the world doing family history making stuff all of which is of no interest to me

How incredibly selfish to prioritise one programme you like over all the programmes many other people like.

I am not a tv watcher and never have been. I am a doer not a watcher, no value judgment there, if i do watch tv, and I am an avid Sewing Bee watcher, I will need to be doing something else at the same time; the ironing, knitting or sewing, reading, in which case it is easier to listen to the radio.

Viewer numbers for tv programmes fall. Should any tv company keep making a series because one person is still watching it, even though the company is loosing £millions conti uing to make it.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Apr-22 13:56:48

Playing devils advocate why should the elderly not have to pay when everyone else does?

MerylStreep Wed 27-Apr-22 14:00:54

jomo
I don’t know if this applies to you but if your in receipt of pension credit your exempt.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Apr-22 14:04:37

MerylStreep

jomo
I don’t know if this applies to you but if your in receipt of pension credit your exempt.

Are young folks who rely on Universal Credit also exempt?

M0nica Wed 27-Apr-22 14:13:41

GrannyGravy13 We did not apply for a free licence on just that basis. We should all be free to decide what we spend our money on. If they want to help with tv licences, why not just divide the sum by 52 and add the amount to the standard basic pension, then those who do not have tv's and never watch it, are not disadvantaged at seeing other older peolples leisure interests subsidised, while theirs are not.

Grandma70s Wed 27-Apr-22 14:15:16

I think BBC has a pretty good variety of programmes. Any travel is interesting, celebs or not. Monica mentions liking Sewing Bee - to me, that is like watching paint dry, as they say. I enjoy anything about history, and on Sunday night they showed the Royal Ballet Swan Lake, which was a treat for me.

I didn’t watch Holby City, but I enjoy much factual medical stuff, and the semi-fictional This Is Going To Hurt was superb.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Apr-22 14:31:33

I m not asking for a free license just don’t want to watch celebrities prancing around the world Some great travel or world history programmes for sure but not headed by a ‘celebrity’ and maybe their children please

volver Wed 27-Apr-22 14:34:21

I believe that the guy with the son is on ITV wink

Lucca Wed 27-Apr-22 15:15:26

I get very irritated by those who complain about British tv, specially BBC.,having experienced what tv is like in France Italy and Australia for example we are very lucky with the quality and variety of programmes generally speaking.

MerylStreep Wed 27-Apr-22 15:20:44

GranyGravy
Sorry, no.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 27-Apr-22 15:27:53

The BBC are fine. There is no way they can please all the people all the time. I think their Arts programmes are superb. I binge watched the whole of The Art That Made Us. No adverts, no treating the viewer as an imbecile and I learnt things! I could complain about Soaps and Hospital dramas but I don’t watch them! Some would say there are too many antiques programmes. Well, someone must watch them. I have Radio 6 music on a lot of the time - another BBC thing which is wonderful. If certain viewers can’t find anything to watch out of four television channels, radio stations and all the things on iPlayer, well maybe they should sell their television and read a book!

AGAA4 Wed 27-Apr-22 15:41:37

There are some excellent dramas on BBC. I don't watch the reality and celeb shows as they don't interest me but the documentaries can be worth watching.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Apr-22 15:43:50

MerylStreep

GranyGravy
Sorry, no.

I thought as much.

There are many young families on UC who could do with a feee TV licence. CBeebies and CBBC have some excellent programmes for children, both educational and entertaining.

Oldbat1 Wed 27-Apr-22 15:47:12

It is a real pity about the licence - those who can pay should pay so perhaps leave it up to folks conscience?? I have no issue with BBC. I can’t watch the other stations with all the adverts as they drive me mad. The adverts are always loads louder too - why? Radio 4 is very good mostly with the odd thing I turn off. I find the iPlayer back catalogue full of things I must have missed. I do feel sorry though for those folk who follow the soaps which are then taken off air - I don’t follow any soaps (well I used to enjoy Neighbours which will also be taken off air shortly).

crazyH Wed 27-Apr-22 15:51:36

My visitors from abroad, love the BBC programmes which they are able to watch without being interrupted with commercials.

PinkCosmos Wed 27-Apr-22 15:55:58

Monica - I am not a tv watcher and never have been. I am a doer not a watcher, no value judgment there, if i do watch tv, and I am an avid Sewing Bee watcher

Sewing Bee is back on BBC 1 tonight at 8pm. Sarah Pascoe is the new presenter. She seems to be on everything these days. I think I preferred Joe Lycett. Love Esme though. I didn't realise she had such an interesting background.

Athrawes Wed 27-Apr-22 16:00:28

S4C has some super programmes. The serial plays can be nail biting! Yes, it's in Welsh but the subtitles are fine.

harold Wed 27-Apr-22 16:00:41

I like the BBC because there are no adverts. I also watch the other main channels but the adverts are really, really annoying during dramas.

Lucca Wed 27-Apr-22 16:19:45

Love sewing bee although I don’t sew. But I’m afraid I’m not a fan of Sara pascoe I liked Joe L

sodapop Wed 27-Apr-22 16:41:17

I agree Lucca British TV is much better France & USA but I do miss Holby City.

Floradora9 Wed 27-Apr-22 16:44:20

As entertainment costs go the license is good value . Why should we get a free one when some families are struggling to feed their children .