Gransnet forums

Chat

Can shops still insist on customers wearing face masks?

(299 Posts)
Franbern Wed 04-May-22 13:10:24

Have an appointment with Specsavers tomorrow. They have phoned to remind me of that appointment and informed me that I MUST wear a face mask when attending.

Thought this was now down to individuals to decide whether or not to continue using these, did not know that shops could insist on it.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 05-May-22 10:07:25

Traditional? Fgs. You always come up with this tripe.

Dickens Thu 05-May-22 10:11:40

Biscuitmuncher

Yes why not carry on wearing something that absolutely serves no purpose

Micro-droplets from a sneeze or cough float in the air and float around.

Even the simple act of sneezing into a paper tissue will help to prevent them from doing that. Which is why civilised people - long before the pandemic - have acquired the habit of containing their sneezing and coughing.

If people wear masks in an environment where they have to rub shoulders with each other, they are less likely to catch such droplets.

The filtration ability of masks varies with the type of material used. And none are 100% effective - which I believe most people realise.

The transmission of COVID-19 involves respiratory droplets, a mixture of viral particles, water, and other expiratory secretions. These droplets are big enough that most masks effectively capture significant amounts of them, whether they are properly fitted or not. Masks are a physical barrier that impedes the transmission of COVID-19.

... this is science, not a "security blanket".

Lucca Thu 05-May-22 10:20:50

Biscuitmuncher

Lucca not to be unkind but people have to make their own judgements. If somehow a mask acts as some kind of security blanket then you crack on

Perhaps you would like to tell my oncologist he’s got it all wrong. Catching covid would be life threatening to me. If people around me wear a mask which provides some form of protection that is is considerate.
Your attitude is ridiculous and makes me very angry.
Have you an explanation as to why all hospital staff are wearing masks ????

Biscuitmuncher Thu 05-May-22 10:29:17

Dickens do people who clear away asbestos wear paper masks? No, because they are pointless, and Lucca I wouldn't expect someone to wear a mask for just my benefit

Vintagejazz Thu 05-May-22 10:48:32

Biscuitmuncher

Not all surgeons wear masks in theatre,look it up. Masks make no difference it's just traditional to wear them

You really are talking a lot of nonsense.

Blondiescot Thu 05-May-22 10:50:49

Biscuitmuncher

Not all surgeons wear masks in theatre,look it up. Masks make no difference it's just traditional to wear them

Now you're just spouting nonsense. I'll trust the science, thank you.

Biscuitmuncher Thu 05-May-22 10:52:55

You lot really believe what you are told don't you. Dont read a thing for yourselves

Casdon Thu 05-May-22 10:53:52

Biscuitmuncher you’ve clearly never worked in a hospital. Medical and nursing staff wear masks to prevent themselves being infected as well as to protect patients. It’s not a perfect solution, but it is a mitigation. If you’d ever been in a theatre you would know how much blood and other bodily fluids, infectious wounds etc. there can be and you would be wearing one too.

Biscuitmuncher Thu 05-May-22 10:57:20

casdon yes I know all that but how does any of that mean that a mask in the street will save you from a virus?

Biscuitmuncher Thu 05-May-22 10:59:24

Lucca what does working life in a hospital have to do with everyday life

Gongoozler Thu 05-May-22 11:00:11

I think it is quite reasonable to be asked to wear a mask in situations where I am going to be in close contact with staff at hospitals, opticians, etc. I look on it as being for my benefit as well as showing a bit of consideration for others.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 05-May-22 11:01:12

Biscuitmuncher doesn’t know what consideration is. Selfish and ignorant.

Marydoll Thu 05-May-22 11:08:22

Germanshepherdsmum

Biscuitmuncher doesn’t know what consideration is. Selfish and ignorant.

I think he/he just posts to wind us up. I just ignore now.

MaggieMay69 Thu 05-May-22 11:16:06

Me and my entire family still wear ours...we have had covid, and it was awful, especially for my pregnant DIL who lost one of her babies, it was hell.
This is still an ongoing thing, people are still dying, and people are still very sick....don't be selfish.

Janetashbolt Thu 05-May-22 11:26:51

GP receptionist here, we insist on masks unless you say you are exempt

Alioop Thu 05-May-22 11:28:21

I'm glad that in some settings they are asking you to wear a mask so if I was going for an eye test I would definitely be wearing one as they are up close to me. I was in hospital for a day procedure and as I waited I watched the nurses changing aprons and masks, washing hands constantly before putting gloves back on and wiping work stations. If we expect them to be careful it's only right we do what we can to help them and if that's wearing a mask, I'll gladly do so.

Gongoozler Thu 05-May-22 11:29:10

Sorry to hear your sad news MaggieMay. It can be a horrid thing to have. Our eldest gd had it quite badly last August and still hasn’t fully recovered her taste. It was a worrying time when she caught it, our younger gd is vulnerable so the family had to be extra careful. It isn’t to be taken lightly. It isn’t too difficult to wear a mask in enclosed spaces, is it?

polnan Thu 05-May-22 11:32:48

I don`t have a problem wearing one..
our church, we have two services, the early one, 9 am. start traditional, yes, lots of us "oldies" some young un`s the 11 a.m. service, more modern type worship,more youngers... was the larger attended one..

we kept the 9 am. service going throughout the pandemic, all wore masks, some still do... and now the larger attended one! we wear masks when singing.. no problem.

jaylucy Thu 05-May-22 11:33:19

I don't see a problem with this request at all, considering how close that the optom has to get to your face !
The ruling is that you no longer MUST wear a face mask, but are advised that you can in smaller enclosed areas .
Specsavers are just protecting their own staff , when all is said and done and I am sure that they will be wearing face masks themselves.

MayBee70 Thu 05-May-22 11:33:59

Biscuitmuncher

Dickens do people who clear away asbestos wear paper masks? No, because they are pointless, and Lucca I wouldn't expect someone to wear a mask for just my benefit

Words fail me sad

Lucca Thu 05-May-22 11:43:27

Biscuitmuncher

What a very unpleasant attitude you have . Think yourself lucky not to be dealing with cancer.

greenlady102 Thu 05-May-22 11:44:10

Shops can require you to wear a pink sparkly hat if you want to enter if they want to do it.

GraceQuirrel Thu 05-May-22 11:50:50

I would vote with my feet and cancel the appointment telling them why. They have no legal right to enforce it. Or, just wear one (under your chin) and look the part!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 05-May-22 11:52:39

When I had an opticians appointment last year, when masks were compulsory, the optician asked me to take it off, as it was causing the 'glasses' equipment they use, to steam up!

Bellanonna Thu 05-May-22 11:53:20

Whitewavemark2

Biscuitmuncher

Lucca not to be unkind but people have to make their own judgements. If somehow a mask acts as some kind of security blanket then you crack on

Are you one of the people who don’t believe experts?

……or the moon landings, or the Holocaust??