Gransnet forums

Chat

Can shops still insist on customers wearing face masks?

(299 Posts)
Franbern Wed 04-May-22 13:10:24

Have an appointment with Specsavers tomorrow. They have phoned to remind me of that appointment and informed me that I MUST wear a face mask when attending.

Thought this was now down to individuals to decide whether or not to continue using these, did not know that shops could insist on it.

torge Sun 08-May-22 18:05:07

Covid is real & everyone will experience it differently. In my humble opinion, it isn't as serious as the "experts" would have you believe.

Many lives have been ruined by the lock downs. I hope someday, someone will bring to light the number of suicides, job losses, family break ups, financial ruin and other things that resulted that didn't need to be.

As a result of the poor handling, we are now all headed to high inflation and a possible recession. I don't think it matter where you live at.

It is very sad when an organization such as the WHO changed the definition of a pandemic to fit a new narrative (took out mass casualties from a resulting disease).

The number of people who passed from Covid was no where near than those from the 1918 Flu. In the US, if you weren't sick from Covid, but tested positive when you died, you were automatically a Covid death. Didn't matter if it you died in a car accident, heart attack or what.

I have talked with several doctor friends through out this mess and all have said it has been blown out of perspective. My ER doctor friend said he lost more people from VD than from Covid. He was being serious.

My only fear is that one day, something serious like the 1918 Flu will hit and everyone will look back at the mishandling of Covid & call bull on the next problem. I really wouldn't be able to blame them.

If you feel your are at risk & it makes you feel better, wear your mask. But don't be a sheep & where a mask to "get along" or "go with the flow". Find out the facts and demand that all of our leaders do the same.

Lucca Sun 08-May-22 18:09:15

If you feel your are at risk & it makes you feel better, wear your mask

Have you even read this thread ??

Some of us ARE. At risk. Very much so. And it’s others as well who need to mask up in certain circumstances eg opticians, hospitals, etc etc.

Marydoll Sun 08-May-22 18:47:33

Torge, perhaps you should have chat with my cardiologist, my rheumatologist and my son's MiL and sister in law,who were working in Covid ICU. They said it was traumatic, watching so many die from Covid, some who were Covid deniers. As Lucca has already asked, have you actually read this thread?

Blossoming Sun 08-May-22 19:01:07

I don’t wear a mask o prevent me from breathing in the virus. I wear a mask to stop me from spreading it, and so should you in some circumstances Torge. You sound like you are in the US. I didn’t realise VD wax so rife and deadly there.

Vintagejazz Sun 08-May-22 20:59:35

torge

Covid is real & everyone will experience it differently. In my humble opinion, it isn't as serious as the "experts" would have you believe.

Many lives have been ruined by the lock downs. I hope someday, someone will bring to light the number of suicides, job losses, family break ups, financial ruin and other things that resulted that didn't need to be.

As a result of the poor handling, we are now all headed to high inflation and a possible recession. I don't think it matter where you live at.

It is very sad when an organization such as the WHO changed the definition of a pandemic to fit a new narrative (took out mass casualties from a resulting disease).

The number of people who passed from Covid was no where near than those from the 1918 Flu. In the US, if you weren't sick from Covid, but tested positive when you died, you were automatically a Covid death. Didn't matter if it you died in a car accident, heart attack or what.

I have talked with several doctor friends through out this mess and all have said it has been blown out of perspective. My ER doctor friend said he lost more people from VD than from Covid. He was being serious.

My only fear is that one day, something serious like the 1918 Flu will hit and everyone will look back at the mishandling of Covid & call bull on the next problem. I really wouldn't be able to blame them.

If you feel your are at risk & it makes you feel better, wear your mask. But don't be a sheep & where a mask to "get along" or "go with the flow". Find out the facts and demand that all of our leaders do the same.

I wear a mask for the sake if others and believe the WHO ahead of random doctors spouting off the cuff opinions to random people, that are then handed on like Chinese whispers across the Internet

Marydoll Sun 08-May-22 21:23:50

Yesterday I reported this thread to HQ, as I was disgusted that the anti maskers were being allowed to accuse posters of being deluded and to spout their propoganda, without showing any compassion nor humanity for those posting on here, who are still at risk of death from Covid.
To those four posters, I suggest you walk a day in our shoes!

HQ, didn't even have the courtesy to respond. So, I have reported it again, in the faint hope that they will intervene.
I now have very low expectations of GNHQ, as it looks as if they think these vile posts are actually with this spirit of Gransnet, they keep quoting.
I sincerely hope that this is not the case.

Lucca Sun 08-May-22 21:58:27

Oh look another one.
Reported.

LucyW Sun 08-May-22 22:12:05

I wear a mask at my work as do all my colleagues. It is a busy public building and the vast majority of visitors opt not to wear a mask, even in crowded, unventilated areas. I got covid last week and felt really poorly. What annoys me is I am taking precautions but my health is being put at risk by people who don't want to pop a mask while they wander round an art exhibition. Last week one exhibition was very busy and my colleague asked a couple if they would like a free mask but they said, quite cheerfully, "we'll take our chances" and declined the masks. I wouldn't want anyone to catch covid and totally understand why an optician asks customers to wear masks. Our local Specsavers still stops everyone at the door and there is, a barrier to prevent unauthorised entry.

Biscuitmuncher Sun 08-May-22 22:13:27

Can no one be allowed a different opinion

Lucca Sun 08-May-22 22:16:50

Yes but not to spread misinformation.

Where is your evidence …we are still waiting.

Biscuitmuncher Sun 08-May-22 22:22:18

I've not seen any on here, just what you've been told

Marydoll Sun 08-May-22 22:31:07

Biscuitmuncher

Can no one be allowed a different opinion

Of course you can, as long as it is factual and accurate and posted without casting aspertions on those who do share your views. None of which you have done.

Blossoming Sun 08-May-22 22:34:40

Well said VintageJazz

Blossoming Sun 08-May-22 22:40:40

Biscuitmuncher

Lucca how many said that masks offered very little protection even Chris Witty said so. Most people dont wear them properly or they are the same one crumpled up in their pocket. For me they make me panic, sweat and my heart race. And all for something that doesn't actually achieve what its supposed to.

That’s only your opinion.

volver Sun 08-May-22 22:46:38

Oh for goodness sake. Some people love to cause trouble. Let's not enable it.

Lucca Sun 08-May-22 22:50:45

You’re right . Goodnight

LadyWee Sun 08-May-22 23:31:38

Why are people so anti mask? All he time - yes it’s a bother. For close contact, medical, and busy areas - why not? It’s not just Covid but all the other germs people cough and sneeze into each other! I don’t see the issue and don’t understand the offence that some take!

ExaltedWombat Fri 21-Oct-22 14:57:32

The mask requirement is still on the stuff Specsavers send out. In practice, maybe they’ll require masks, maybe not. My local one a few weeks ago didn’t.
But if they want you to strap on a mask, that’s not a problem, is it?

Franbern Fri 21-Oct-22 15:23:46

A mask is a problem for me. For a start if the person I am talking to wears one, I cannot understand what they are saying. Equally, wearing one myself does cause breathing problems (Maybe psychological - but does happen). I am due now for hearing test in a couple of weeks at SpecSavers - I will most definitely NOT wear a mask and would ask whoever is treating me to take theirs off.

Fleurpepper Fri 21-Oct-22 15:39:50

ad I hope they refuse, sorry. You cannot force someone treating you to take their mask off- and you can't force them to treat you if you refuse to wear one.

Biscuitmuncher Fri 21-Oct-22 15:48:46

I'd never wear a mask again, pointless virtue signalling things

Largolass Fri 21-Oct-22 15:54:02

I’ve just come home from a month long holiday in Southern Spain and masks had to be worn on public transport and in pharmacies and at medical appointments. If you weren’t wearing a mask the driver wouldn’t allow you to board his bus.

AreWeThereYet Fri 21-Oct-22 16:49:59

Franbern I was in SpecSavers on Monday and all the staff were wearing masks but few customers. I wore one because I was coughing and didn't want to cough on anyone else. No one even mentioned masks when Mr A and I entered. It may be different at different sites though.