Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you/ have you collected anything ?

(144 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 09-May-22 03:05:31

I used to collect blue and white pottery and pottery clogs, then horse brasses for a while. I’m still tempted if I see a nice horse brass in an antique shop ( not that many in Australia). I ran out of space for pottery . As for books …I have hundreds but have started the big cull.

BlueSky Mon 09-May-22 10:44:21

I used to collect bars of soap. The different scents used to remind me of a particular point in time. Now my sense of smell is very poor so there would be no point.

Marmight Mon 09-May-22 10:48:03

I keep/collect empty Marmite pots on the dresser in the kitchen, does that count? They have different labels but since covid there don’t seem to have been any new ones issued. Probably a good thing - just more stuff?

M0nica Mon 09-May-22 11:03:35

I have eight Doulton Slaterware items, but I am very clear that I do not collect them and, except for one small item DD has, I am firm that I do not want any more.

It started with a hotwater jug that belonged to my mother and it fascinated me from early childhood, I then inherited a tall vase, and then bought a large jug at auction, a couple were given, and I then said 'enough'. Althouh I did buy a jardiniere last year.

Redhead56 Mon 09-May-22 11:09:54

I like Art Deco especially watches I do love the style of an era long gone. I like coloured glass objects but my main interest is Champagne coupes not flutes I think they are lovely.

TwiceAsNice Mon 09-May-22 11:13:55

I collect glass animals. A lot are Wedgewood until they stopped making them and some have come from Prague as they make lovely ones much cheaper . My children still buy me the odd one and I bought one in a rummage sale for only 50p a few weeks ago. I do love them, they are on the two shelves of my dresser. I wash them in the dishwasher delicate cycle and they come up sparkling

FindingNemo15 Mon 09-May-22 11:16:52

I used to collect Fred the flour man items. Now it is anything to do with donkeys, but they are not on display, so what is the point I ask myself?

Kim19 Mon 09-May-22 13:41:42

I collected stamps and once owned a penny black.

nanna8 Thu 12-May-22 08:03:04

Are we allowed to mention the little enamel brooches that came with Robertson's jam? I used to love those as a child. I used to collect stamps and still have quite a few but no one is interested these days. Some of them date back to the nineteenth century.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 08:15:26

I collected animal ornaments when I was a child, and had almost all of the 'Whimsies'.

It sounds like an unpleasant condition now.

"I've got the whimsies"
"You can buy cream to put on that".

Jaxjacky Thu 12-May-22 08:19:04

Not rigorously enough to buy sets when issued, but the odd 50p that appeals and only in recent years. We do have a Kew gardens one, now worth far more than it’s face value. Years ago I collected candle sticks, but they involved a lot of cleaning, all given away. The 50 pence pieces are just kept in a box in a cupboard.

seacliff Thu 12-May-22 08:35:55

I am currently starting to declutter. I inherited good quality cut glass bowls that my Mum loved, they were not cheap then. There seems to be little value in then now, and they're not my taste, so I'm sending them to the charity shop, but I do feel guilty. Likewise several other small collections. One from my lovely Nana. Little white porcelain shell, house, basket etc with the crest of name of a resort, Brighton etc. I'm going to keep just what I love now, and will be able to admire with less clutter.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 12-May-22 09:38:04

When I was a child I collected stamps and the Robertson’s g***y figures you could send off for.

For many years I also had a nice collection of stray cats who made their home with me!

I also once collected watercolours and prints by Norfolk artists but now live there and don’t need pictures of what’s on my doorstep.

My house is quite minimalist now and I’m actively getting rid of things rather than collecting more possessions so as to make things easier for my son when I shuffle off. And I hate dusting!

Chestnut Thu 12-May-22 09:57:44

I have a large postcard collection but I got rid of all the meaningless ones as there were far too many. I've kept postcards from family mostly as they have so many memories of holidays and special places. I'm sure the AC will love reading things they wrote in the 1990s when they were children. Postcards are a great thing to collect because they stay in a box, take up very little room and don't need dusting!

Elless Thu 12-May-22 10:11:01

I collect policemen, I even collected a real one as I married one ?

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 10:12:53

That's a lot of policemen!
Did you start the collection before or after you married?

Elless Thu 12-May-22 10:26:20

I think it must have been after we married, it started off with a garden gnome policeman, I've got clocks, cups and another cabinet full of policeman teddies ?

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 10:28:40

It's a really interesting collection.
Do you have a favourite one? (apart from your husband)

crazyH Thu 12-May-22 10:56:43

My ex-husband had a small collection of old coins, which he did not take with him. There’s nothing too exciting, but if I am reading the dates correctly, one of them is from 1897

Grandma70s Thu 12-May-22 11:11:13

Miniature cats, the china, metal and glass variety. I have only kept a couple of them, one of which I relentlessly begged from a neighbour when I was seven.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 11:12:04

We used to go out with my dad, metal detecting.

It's quite exciting finding coins.

Casdon Thu 12-May-22 11:12:05

I collect plants, I can’t help myself looking every time I go to the garden centre, car boot sale, market or anywhere else they are sold. I do have a list though, which I’m trying very hard to stick to. One good thing about my collecting though, is that I can supply people with plants for their gardens too, so I look on it as a charitable act which saves other people money (helps me justify my spending).

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 11:17:31

If I felt well, I would love to try mudlarking.
Sifting through muddy river edges for treasures.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 12-May-22 11:25:44

Ooh I’d love to do that too. I’ve seen them on television. I’ve often thought it would be exciting to have a metal detector.

Elless Thu 12-May-22 13:13:37

MissAdventure

It's a really interesting collection.
Do you have a favourite one? (apart from your husband)

I have loads of favourites but I like the Robert Harrop designs mostly (mainly on the middle shelf).

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 13:23:28

I'll have a look now. smile