Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you/ have you collected anything ?

(144 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 09-May-22 03:05:31

I used to collect blue and white pottery and pottery clogs, then horse brasses for a while. I’m still tempted if I see a nice horse brass in an antique shop ( not that many in Australia). I ran out of space for pottery . As for books …I have hundreds but have started the big cull.

Forestflame Tue 17-May-22 12:10:41

Collect, make and wear earrings. Ijustwantpeace2020, I love the traffic cones and zips.
Also collect coins,thimbles, shot glasses and rulers.

poshpaws Tue 17-May-22 01:09:10

I collect cows (not real ones!) and realistic glass animals; Sylvac pottery; Wall Pockets and Carltonware. My late husband collected Lilliput Lane and Draught Horse figures, and we shared a collection of Border Fine Arts pieces.

So sad that the pre Chinese-made models, which were made in Langholm, Scotland and were very realistic, went out of favour: pieces we paid £375 for are going on eBay for around £50.

I still love them all, there's no way I'd sell them, but I rather hope they become collectible generally again, as I'd like my son to cash in on them when I snuff it!

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 21:58:43

I've analysed why I started these collections and blame my Mum who was always throwing my things away as soon as I stopped playing with them

I think that is why I'm reluctant to part with things because my mother did the same.
I can't blame her, lack of space meant we had to be tidy.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 16-May-22 21:52:36

Gosh, the stuff I have collected, stamps, coins (not spending ones), postcards, Lilliput type houses, dinky type cars, miniature hurdy gurdies, latterly silver sugar tongs.
The stamps went when I got married, possibly the postcards too. The coins went to my SIL, the houses, cars and hurry gurdies went to auction before we downsized (no-one else really appreciated them). This year I sold my collection of sugar tongs - now I just collect rubbish!!

songstress60 Mon 16-May-22 12:59:25

Never been a collector, and I cannot understand people who are. I am a devout minimumalist.

Diggingdoris Mon 16-May-22 09:37:56

I have several collections of different coloured glass, mostly vintage cranberry, pale blue Bagley pieces, and royal blue cut glass. Also blue and white China that gets used everyday.
I've analysed why I started these collections and blame my Mum who was always throwing my things away as soon as I stopped playing with them. Then once I married we were always hard up so no spare cash for unessentials. Later when I was working I would treat myself to a pretty piece from a charity shop/car boot. I have stopped now as my children don't want them when I've gone, so I'll just enjoy them as long as I can!

Tanjamaltija Mon 16-May-22 05:11:03

I collect beads (jewellery, not pony beads) not to keep, though, but because I remake them into jnewellery, for fund-raiisang, for the Creche, where my daughter is a nun. That is why our items are less expensive than the ones you get in shops. www.facebook.com/beadsforbabiesmalta

Bijou Sun 15-May-22 23:14:16

Used to collect ash trays from every place we visited during our travels starting in 1951 in Italy then small china mementos that were easy to carry whilst camping. When that ended thirty years ago after my husband died I collected teddy bears.

Party4 Sun 15-May-22 22:43:40

Thimbles had one from most china manufacturers all displayed on racks terrible dust holders.
Lilliput cottages displayed on my new hearth and mantlepiece early 80s.
Down size move some 11yrs ago saw most items donated to charity shop
Dear MIL just couldn't resist any collectibles sold through Sunday magazines she really thought they would increase in value especially themed plates and asked they be distributed to her many God children on her death.We respected her wishes but feel sure most went in bin or charity shop.
We did keep a set of six Beatles plates with certificates and boxes bought for DH as he was and still is an avid fan.They are in the loft.
DSs say when we both depart they will either get a skip or house clearance company and we are sure they will?

tictacnana Sun 15-May-22 22:25:59

My Mum collected pigs. When I asked “Why pigs?” she said they went nicely with my Dad ! I think that he’d annoyed her that day .

Ijustwantpeace2020 Sun 15-May-22 22:08:56

Some of my many stands

Ijustwantpeace2020 Sun 15-May-22 22:04:46

Earrings! Unintentionally though as my husband started buying them for me when I had my ears pierced at age 26. I now have almost 500 pairs including a “novelty” section with everything from jars of marmite to traffic cones. The normal ones range in price from a few pence to a lot of money and I have worn every pair I own! They are all on display stands like these.

Jannicans Sun 15-May-22 21:57:49

Love to collect anything sewing especially thimbles, country towns are great for finding goodies in SA.

MeowWow Sun 15-May-22 21:26:06

I used to collect owls. I then collected Lladro. Now they all just collect dust.

Zoejory Sun 15-May-22 21:05:51

My mother-in-law ended up collecting teapots. Unintentionally.

One of her children got her a fancy teapot for Christmas and she was exclaiming about how lovely it was, Nice ornament. So pretty. Etc etc

So we all ended up buying her a fancy tea pot for birthdays and Christmas. She had over 100.

Toward the end of her life we were having a chat and she leant forward and told me that she didn't really like novelty teapots. She asked me not to tell any of her family though.

And I didn't.

Maywalk Sun 15-May-22 20:58:45

Carved wooden animals from every country round the world plus Swarovski crystal.
My d-i-l is having the crystal and the wooden elephant that was sent from Burma in 1943 when my brother was stationed there during the war with the 27th squadron or flying elephants as they were known.
It was the Elephant that started me collecting all my other wooden carvings and folks used to bring them back for me from holidays.
I have started finding good homes for them now because at my age of 92 I have had my pleasure from them over the years so any friends or family who visits and takes a liking to a particular piece can take it with them when they leave.

Musicgirl Sun 15-May-22 20:26:17

The first photo shows October, Thursday’s Child and December. The second photo shows November, September and Sunday’s Child.

Musicgirl Sun 15-May-22 20:24:20

I have a collection of Royal Worcester Freda Doughty child figurines which represent the months of the year and the days of the week as in Monday’s Child is Fair of Face etc. They were originally made in the fifties and are like illustrations from children’s books of the period.

harold Sun 15-May-22 19:08:04

I have a collection of Susie Cooper plates and other items of crockery, The plates were decorating my kitchen but, since we redecorated, are now in a kitchen cupboard. I have also collected some old toys, children's books, and the older figurines of Beatrix Potter characters.
I passed two of my daughter's (size 7yrs) Summer dresses on to her and have photos of my granddaughter wearing them
sometimes now that they fit her.
But I am slowly getting rid of a lot of old paperwork and maybe the time will soon come when I'll decide to dispose of
my small collection.
=

MayBee70 Sun 15-May-22 17:57:48

Growing0ldDisgracefully

I seem to be collecting excess weight...

My intentional collections are Lilliput Lane houses (quite an urban sprawl of them), and lacemaking bobbins.

The latter are fascinating, there are so many variations in form, materials they are made of, and traditions attached to them. I have all sorts, from modern ones, through to antique ones, and have a few made of sterling silver as well. I do use them - photo attached of some in use.

I find them beautiful, too. Plus, if they’re old, the thought of the person who used them and the beautiful lace they created.

MaggsMcG Sun 15-May-22 17:55:57

Grandmabatty The Chalet School books were written by Elinor M Brent-Dyer. I loved them as a child.
I used to collect Pocket Dragons but I am slowly disposing of them.

MayBee70 Sun 15-May-22 17:54:47

Jess20

I guess I collect shoes, but only because I have very awkward bunions which have changed shape and made so many pairs unwearable. I keep them 'just in case' although I can't imagine ever accepting surgery for the bunions and anyway, unlikely to happen on the NHS these days... I should add, I'm size 43 so finding nice shoes isn't easy in the first place....

Me too! Not that I’ve been to many weddings but, when I do shoes have always been the biggest problem when deciding what to wear. And because it’s always been a nightmare to find them I can’t part with them even though my feet are getting worse. As for collecting other things I think I collect everything and can’t throw anything away. I suppose my latest collection is sea glass, which I find incredibly beautiful. Which I keep in glass jars which I also collect. I’m beyond help.

Mares Sun 15-May-22 17:53:18

I used to collect Just the Right Shoes by Raine. I’ve loads of them in limited editions signed etc. they stopped selling them here in the U.K. but I think there still going in USA. Don’t want to throw them away as I’ve spent about £1000 on them but don’t know what to do with them now. smile won’t do that ever again collect anything.

Startingover61 Sun 15-May-22 17:39:26

I collect Christmas stamps in their presentation packs. I started with those issued from 2000 but now have every pack since they were first issued in 1966.

Flo122 Sun 15-May-22 16:47:53

I collect taxidermy (victorian) and anything else old and odd (including DH)