Gransnet forums

Chat

Etiquette v The Highway Code

(80 Posts)
Serendipity22 Tue 10-May-22 16:25:43

What does everyone else think ......

Example - You're driving along when a road sign states give way to oncoming traffic, a sign that is stated in The Highway Code. So you do as you're instructed, you wait to let the incoming car pass.

Is it necessary for the driver of the car that has the right of way, to flash lights or raise a hand in thanks ( or both ) despite the fact you're not doing it out of kindness, you're doing it because its the rules of the road. No-one does it at traffic lights so why do some people feel the need to say thank you otherwise!

Personally, if I do as the road signs instructs me to do, I feel compelled to raise my hand in thanks then ask myself was that necessary ?

confusedconfusedconfused

timetogo2016 Fri 20-May-22 09:49:12

I always thank drivers in some way or another,it`s polite and yes very british.

Magrithea Fri 20-May-22 09:40:41

Serendipity22

What does everyone else think ......

Example - You're driving along when a road sign states give way to oncoming traffic, a sign that is stated in The Highway Code. So you do as you're instructed, you wait to let the incoming car pass.

Is it necessary for the driver of the car that has the right of way, to flash lights or raise a hand in thanks ( or both ) despite the fact you're not doing it out of kindness, you're doing it because its the rules of the road. No-one does it at traffic lights so why do some people feel the need to say thank you otherwise!

Personally, if I do as the road signs instructs me to do, I feel compelled to raise my hand in thanks then ask myself was that necessary ?

confusedconfusedconfused

Why is it a problem? It's nice to be acknowledged for being courteous, even if you are obeying the rules of the road. Like many other posters I always acknowledge vehicles who've given way whether they had to or not. Much better than seeing a stern, unsmiling face as you drive past

effalump Sat 14-May-22 12:05:48

I think this is more from my generation (1950's) and I probably go thtis from my Dad who drove lorries. I think it is a polite thing to do. Another thing I do is if I'm driving down hill and a car coming the other way needs to cross onto my side, perhaps to get round a parked vehicle, I always let them come through. My Dad used to say it is a courtesy as the person coming up the hill will use more petrol if he stops and then has to set off in first gear (especially if the hill is a steep one). Having had cars in the past that almost needed purshing up a steep hill, I can appreciate this courtesy.

Serendipity22 Thu 12-May-22 21:22:24

TanaMa that has happened to me a few times ( indicating to turn left then driving past) since the first encounter, I always wait till I am certain they are indeed turning. smile

valdali Thu 12-May-22 19:44:39

I always raise my hand / nod if someone stops for me. Don't get upset if they don't. If someone lets me out at a junction I might even flash the hazards.Can be a bit tedious when going through narrow high streets where you have to give way / vice versa about 8 times to make it through, but it's just civilised.

Daftbag1 Thu 12-May-22 19:15:09

You would fail your driving test!

Saying thank you to another car driver means that your mind is not fully on the possible dangers around you. And never make signs to pedestrians, or other drivers suggesting that they should pass, whilst you are concentrating on them and the communication an email unseen danger could occur.

This was what I was told by my driving instructor.

Redrobin51 Thu 12-May-22 19:04:16

I think it is nice to acknowledge the other person by a nice of the head and a big smile when you pass them. It makes you and them feel good.x

leeds22 Thu 12-May-22 17:44:59

Round here we raise a forefinger off the steering wheel to say thanks.

Shazmo24 Thu 12-May-22 17:23:47

I really don't understand what the problem is with someone indicating "Thank you" even if you are doing the right thing...makes you sound a really miserable person tbh

nexus63 Thu 12-May-22 17:22:37

i do not drive but i raise my hand if a car stops to let me cross the road or the crossing in a car park, i live in a side street just off a very busy main road and have seen my dil doing the same thing when a car lets her out. i think it is just polite and most drivers are nice, but you do still get some who think they own the road and can do what they like, i have had a few run in's with some who drive down or up one way streets or run the green man just to join a queue, take a pic of the number plate and if driver does not like it...too bad.

naughtynanny Thu 12-May-22 16:32:34

When someone does NOT acknowledge that I've been kind and let them through, I find myself saying grumpily, out loud......' oh, you're welcome'......!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 12-May-22 15:56:01

You would be one of those people to whom I mutter something extremely unpleasant then.

GraceQuirrel Thu 12-May-22 15:50:48

No thanks here, I’ve had to stop for you not out of choice!

Anneeba Thu 12-May-22 15:31:26

Anything that reminds other drivers that we are all just people sitting in our metal boxes is, I think, good. Acknowledgements of other road users (polite ones) help lessen the tension, anger and stress on the roads in those predisposed to such feelings when in their cars, hopefully.

Madashell Thu 12-May-22 15:14:37

Drive defensively and be polite, it makes everyone’s day happier.

katy1950 Thu 12-May-22 15:10:37

There are no manners these days its dog eat dog on the roads

grandtanteJE65 Thu 12-May-22 15:08:25

MerylStreep

Serendipity
It’s a British thing, much admired around the world ?

It may have started in Britain in the early days of motoring, but it is no longer a specifically British thing.

I live in the South of Denmark, and on both sides of the Danish-German border both motorists and cyclists raise a hand in acknowledgement when another road-user holds back for them, even when they do not have the right of way and are obliged to hold back, and most of us mouth "Mange tak" or "Danke sehr" depending on which country we are in at the time.

Obviously, if it is unsafe to remove a hand from the steering wheel or the handlebars of a bike, one would make do with smiling and nodding.

I use a cargo bike that has hand-brakes only, which is legal, but to me a flipping nusiance, as Danish bikes often have a brake connected to the pedals as well. When you back-pedal you brake. I grew up with that system, and I can assure you that on the steep hills outside and in Flensburg no power on earth would persuade me to remove one of my hands from the brake, as I am certain I need them both. Otherwise, I do acknowledge courtesies with a hand-sign.

kjmpde Thu 12-May-22 14:56:59

please use the phrase "priority" and not "right of way". I attended a talk by an advanced driving instructor and he said that nobody has the right of way. I know it sounds pedantic but his talk drummed it into me that nobody has a right. Politeness never goes amiss,.

ExDancer Thu 12-May-22 14:37:15

I was amused by my American friend who thought I knew a huge number of other drivers because we 'saluted' (her word) each other when we passed in our narrow country lanes.
When I explained, she found it 'cute and charming' and thoroughly British. So now our family all say "cute and charming" when we acknowledge other cars.
Likewise we say "not cute or charming" when the other driver rudely ignores our courtesy.

GreenGran78 Thu 12-May-22 14:05:26

I always give a wave to kind drivers, and have even been known to blow a kiss if I have been waiting ages to get out at a junction. ?I often allow drivers out of side roads, on the premise that most people are in more of a hurry than I am. Then I wonder if the drivers behind are cursing me for delaying them!
I think that the British are, on the whole, polite drivers......though standards are slowly slipping. I find that most Aussie drivers are very slow to let anyone filter in. Even if queueing at traffic lights they won't leave a gap for you to get out.

TanaMa Thu 12-May-22 13:58:49

To those who commented on 'driving instructor's instruction' - not sure mine did this when I took lessons 60 years ago, passed first time and still driving without accident at 87, but I do wait befor completely committing myself to moving foward until I am sure what the other driver is doing. Just find it annoying that so many drivers don't use indicators (or lights in bad weather) properly! Need in built crystal balls sometimes!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-May-22 13:50:43

If you do that on your driving test you will fail.

TillyWhiz Thu 12-May-22 13:48:59

I always raise my fingers to say thanks if someone has waited for me to pass. There's so much road rage around, its good to be polite and friendly.
And yes Lucca! I actually do both sides of the conversation 'Thank you'. 'My pleasure' ?

mokryna Thu 12-May-22 13:11:52

I live near a narrow dodgy corner on a hill and although there is a legal right of way for cars coming up the hill I always raise my hand for those who have had to wait to wait for me. I hope just a small jest makes the other driver happy, it doesn’t cost me anything and if they respond by a wave it certainty makes me happy.

PollyDolly Thu 12-May-22 13:02:10

Teacheranne

TanaMa

Not an answer to this but a grumble about use/nonuse if indicators!!
Twice recently whilst waiting to exit from a side road, approaching vehicle was indicating that they were turning into my road. I had just started to draw forward when said vehicles continued straight across.my path and didn't turn as indicated. Luckily I braked quickly enough to avoid a collision. Also vehicles who, without indicating, suddenly take a turning left or right immediately in front of my car - as I don't drive closely behind a vehicle in front, no problem, but still annoying!

I was taught by my driving instructor to ignore cars which indicated to turn into a side road aa they might have left their indicator on from a previous turn. I wait until I can see that the car has started to turn before moving forward - better safe than sorry!

I must see what it says in the Highway Code about such situations.

Being able to read the other road users mind is useful! My driving instructor told me years ago to treat all other drivers/pedestrians as complete idiots........turned out to be sound advice, never had an accident and I hold an advanced drivers qualification.