Gransnet forums

Chat

Got told off by everyone today

(278 Posts)
Biscuitmuncher Wed 11-May-22 00:26:32

Was at a lovely Jewellery stall today. For sale was rather expensive gold stacking bangles. I asked how much are the slave bangles, well the man selling them said, " we don't call them that anymore" and my daughters with me were horrified. I feel like the worst person!

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 01:42:25

How do people feel about the use of the verb "to welch", as in "he welched on the deal." Anyone offended?

How about "Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief..."?

Or does that not count?

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 12:25:49

I think we are pretty good at laughing and taking the Mick out of ourselves in Wales, probably more than anybody else does.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 14:03:19

Just don't mention the sheep!

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 20:54:17

The Welsh might be pretty good at laughing at themselves, but does that excuse the rest of the world from using highly offensive language at their expense? And the so-called "joke" about the Welshman's ovine proclivities? Would you be offended at someone saying "He Indianed/she Egypted/they Jewed on the deal"? To say nothing about comments on whether they and their donkey are more than just good friends? The woke warriors would rise, united, at this affront to their non-Caucasian brothers and sisters.

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 21:11:38

To be honest BoadiceaJones I don’t think many people outside the UK know anything much about Wales, we are lumped in with England so I doubt if there are many international jokes about us. As far as the sheep jokes are concerned, all the farmers I know just laugh, they don’t take it as a personal insult - I think we have more jokes about the English to be fair.

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 21:44:21

But Casdon - do you not see my point? If it's unacceptable to mock, deride or show disrespect to all ethnic groups other than British, is that reasonable? As a point of principle, nothing to do whether you are personally offended.

biglouis Wed 25-May-22 22:07:39

Some people are simply "in the business" of being offended. Everyone else is supposed to tiptoe around them.

Pathetic.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 22:14:28

Casdon

To be honest BoadiceaJones I don’t think many people outside the UK know anything much about Wales, we are lumped in with England so I doubt if there are many international jokes about us. As far as the sheep jokes are concerned, all the farmers I know just laugh, they don’t take it as a personal insult - I think we have more jokes about the English to be fair.

Yes, if mentioning where I live when overseas I am told "but that's in England, isn't it!".
As for bovine references, no, it's not general (as far as I know) but there have been cases.

No need to be offended on my behalf, BoadiceaJones!

?????????????????????

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 22:19:46

BoadiceaJones

But Casdon - do you not see my point? If it's unacceptable to mock, deride or show disrespect to all ethnic groups other than British, is that reasonable? As a point of principle, nothing to do whether you are personally offended.

Are the Welsh other than British, then?

Now, I could be offended by that.

?????????

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 22:41:55

BoadiceaJones

Yes and no *BoadiceaJones
I object to anything which derides others in an objectionable way, but it’s human nature to have a bit of fun, and jokes are a worldwide way of gently doing that, provided they don’t go too far - it’s a fine line, but it works both ways, best summed up perhaps by Mr Bennet:

“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and to laugh at them in our turn?” ...

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 22:43:07

Callistemon - read what I wrote again. I'll rephrase: If it's acceptable to mock, deride etc only the British, and unacceptable to mock deride etc groups other than the British...

With my "Celtic"-mainly Welsh, ethnicity, and a Welsh DH, I AM offended by the casual racism towards the Welsh, which would never be acceptable about ethnic groups OTHER THAN THE BRITISH. i.e. only the Brits are not allowed to be offended by casual racism towards themselves.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 22:44:56

Autocorrect changed ovine to bovine in my post.
And again!

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 22:46:20

((Sign))...ok, then, let's just amuse ourselves by poking fun at any "racial" or ethnic group, assuming that they will take it as harmless entertainment. Who makes the decision about whether it goes too far, Casdon?

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 22:49:07

So are the Welsh not allowed to poke fun at themselves?

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 22:54:07

BoadiceaJones

((Sign))...ok, then, let's just amuse ourselves by poking fun at any "racial" or ethnic group, assuming that they will take it as harmless entertainment. Who makes the decision about whether it goes too far, Casdon?

Did you mean sigh not sign? Some people are clearly more easily offended. Making mild jokes at the expense of others is human nature. Making racist, sexist, or whatever comments or statements is not. You have to be realistic. We will never stop the former, but we should all condemn the latter, and I personally do if I consider something offensive.

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 22:55:09

Poke fun at yourselves by all means. Just establishing parameters, however - you OK if others do so, and with venom? The parents of a good friend of mine (English) hate the Welsh with a passion and never hesitate to make jocular comments about Taffies.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 23:03:56

What unpleasant friends you have.

Poor you.

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 23:06:35

BoadiceaJones

Poke fun at yourselves by all means. Just establishing parameters, however - you OK if others do so, and with venom? The parents of a good friend of mine (English) hate the Welsh with a passion and never hesitate to make jocular comments about Taffies.

Some Welsh people hate the English with a passion too though, don’t they, so I’m not sure what that proves, or if banning them from saying it would stop them thinking it? Mostly it’s just friendly banter though. We do it here between the Taffs and the Gogs too, which I’m sure goes over the heads of the English (who probably think all Welsh people are Taffs).

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 23:59:43

*Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 23:03:56
What unpleasant friends you have.

Poor you.*

Thank you for your sympathy. However, you misread my post. These people, who are English, are the PARENTS of my friend.

If you regard "mild" unfiltered comments as "banter", where do you draw the line? So if I say "The Welsh pray on their knees and on their neighbours" - is that offensive? If I say it? If you say it? If I change "Welsh" to some other nationality, is that still mild banter, which is merely a manifestation of being human?

BoadiceaJones Thu 26-May-22 00:09:06

Casdon - I personally do if I consider something offensive.
Here's the rub.
If YOU consider it offensive. You are the arbiter of taste?
So it's all in the eye of the beholder, then?
(Gotta love W.S.)

icanhandthemback Thu 26-May-22 00:43:17

We do it here between the Taffs and the Gogs too, which I’m sure goes over the heads of the English (who probably think all Welsh people are Taffs).

sad

BoadiceaJones Thu 26-May-22 05:43:11

And I should mention, perhaps, that my ancestry being from Anglesey for countless generations, and my DH's from Colwyn Bay, we are gogs through and through. Didn't stop them from treating us like shit though, up there. I blame it on the All Blacks.

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 10:18:10

I blame it on the All Blacks

shock
What - the New Zealand All Blacks? Some of them were descended from "Gogs".

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 10:21:17

I don't hate The Welsh although the one I married does annoy me occasionally.

My ancestors were Borderers

MissAdventure Fri 27-May-22 11:58:35

I read that as borrowers. grin