Gransnet forums

Chat

Got told off by everyone today

(278 Posts)
Biscuitmuncher Wed 11-May-22 00:26:32

Was at a lovely Jewellery stall today. For sale was rather expensive gold stacking bangles. I asked how much are the slave bangles, well the man selling them said, " we don't call them that anymore" and my daughters with me were horrified. I feel like the worst person!

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 12:25:49

I think we are pretty good at laughing and taking the Mick out of ourselves in Wales, probably more than anybody else does.

BoadiceaJones Wed 25-May-22 01:42:25

How do people feel about the use of the verb "to welch", as in "he welched on the deal." Anyone offended?

How about "Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief..."?

Or does that not count?

25Avalon Fri 13-May-22 20:45:19

Volver, I don’t care what ‘they’ think just stating how you can get jumped on when you voice your opinion.

Biscuitmuncher Fri 13-May-22 19:35:57

Oh my gosh, this thread has drifted around hasn't it

volver Fri 13-May-22 18:28:35

See this is what I mean. You say what you think of your country and then think you'll be condemned for it. If you're proud of your country and think it's done good things, stop making out that statement is unacceptable. It makes you the victim, poor you, "everybody hates us" ?

Sorry, but that's how it appears.

25Avalon Fri 13-May-22 18:12:27

Speaking as a GNetter approved honarary Scot I admire the history and spirit (not talking Whisky which I’ve spelt properly this time) and pride of Scotland. I also admire that of Britain as a whole but will probably be accused of being a white privileged imperialist as a consequence.

volver Fri 13-May-22 16:27:23

How can I possibly speak for the English? I can only speak for the community I meet.
Sorry, Maybe I wasn’t clear what I meant, I wondered if you had seen example of Scottish people here having a go at the English as a “race” or a country. I can’t say I’ve seen it.

To some of us, it does appear that Wales and Scotland are greatly loved by their people but the English are accused of being Imperialist or Nationalistic. Is that racist or is it just wanting to be able to love one's country with the same passion that seems to be acceptable amongst other nations? A people can be proud of their country without being Imperialist or Nationalistic. I’m afraid there is a bit of a sense of being superior to the other in what some British people say and do, look at some of the talk about Brexit for instance, or what is being said about Nazanin today. We should all be proud of our countries for what they are, not in comparison to other countries.

The thing about how people “love Scotland”. In my experience, that means they love the scenery and the whisky and the castles. Not always, but often. Maybe even usually! But the country is more than scenery and whisky and castles. And when people say how much they love the country, they are kind of side-lining the important bits that make us a country; innovation, culture (not the kilt and caber kind wink), attitude to the rest of the world, etc.

Anyway this thread is way off topic, I’ll shut up now smile

icanhandthemback Fri 13-May-22 16:08:02

B8gger, I posted a quote within a quote again. I need a big message on my computer to erase the quote once I have copied and pasted. Sorry, the ADHD hits again! Apologies.

icanhandthemback Fri 13-May-22 16:06:26

volver

Whereas here are some things that have been said about Scots and Scotland on this forum, just this week...

People are glad they don’t live in Scotland; the majority of English people want rid of you; you won’t survive without monetary input from Westminster; I love Scotland, once I made a badge that looked like a bagpipe; Scotland (and some other places) “despise English nationalism” and they’ve gained money out of the Union while England has only lost; the separatists want to make us foreigners in our own country; we’ll be glad when we don’t have to fund you any more; how do you think you’ll defend yourselves? NATO won’t have you.

So icanhandthemback perhaps you can give us some examples of how the English are considered by Some on the other side of the border? Not the UK government, not individual English people please, but the actual English?

Stories appear on here regularly of how English people are scared to be in Scotland since the referendum. Well I live here. They must be keeping a low profile because I haven’t met any, and no, I don’t just mix with Scottish nationalists. I was an activist during the referendum campaign and I was the one scared to put the Yes sticker on my car in case it got vandalised. Not everyone in Scotland behaves the way they should, Yes voters or No voters. Some of them are bams.

And one thing that drives me batchy… "Oh I love Scotland, the scenery’s lovely and so are the people". We’re not Brigadoon. angry

Bam: Daft, nutter, nuts, silly, "not right in head".
^Batchy: Crazy^

So icanhandthemback perhaps you can give us some examples of how the English are considered by Some on the other side of the border? Not the UK government, not individual English people please, but the actual English?
How can I possibly speak for the English? I can only speak for the community I meet. They have various views as to whether Scotland would be better out of the Union or not and there interpretation of the figures bandied around. I haven't met anybody who wants Scotland to leave the Union, some because they think the England and Scotland would both be worse without each other and yes, some because they think Scotland would be worse off. Some people wonder how things would pan out if Scotland joined the EU again because how would we work a border. But my overwhelming impression is that people aren't anti Scotland. To some of us, it does appear that Wales and Scotland are greatly loved by their people but the English are accused of being Imperialist or Nationalistic. Is that racist or is it just wanting to be able to love one's country with the same passion that seems to be acceptable amongst other nations?
Not everyone in Scotland behaves the way they should, Yes voters or No voters.
Sadly, its the same in England!
And one thing that drives me batchy… "Oh I love Scotland, the scenery’s lovely and so are the people"
You'll appreciate then that I put that the people I have encountered! As far as I can see, in most places, people treat you as they find you. For the most part if you are friendly, they are friendly. If you aren't arrogant, belligerent, demanding, entitled, etc., they aren't. That tends to be the world over. I haven't been to Scotland since the referendum so I couldn't comment about it being frightening. I only know that the people who have been there in the last few years haven't come back speaking of how frightening it is. Their experiences are largely positive. The most negative thing they have mentioned is the cold or rainy weather!
Perhaps I should say that my experiences of Scotland have been positive which is why I enjoy visiting. Americans often wax lyrical about how quaint England is. Personally, I don't find it an insult that people find the scenery or the people they have met to be lovely and it certainly wouldn't drive me "batchy." grin

volver Fri 13-May-22 12:57:15

Whereas here are some things that have been said about Scots and Scotland on this forum, just this week...

People are glad they don’t live in Scotland; the majority of English people want rid of you; you won’t survive without monetary input from Westminster; I love Scotland, once I made a badge that looked like a bagpipe; Scotland (and some other places) “despise English nationalism” and they’ve gained money out of the Union while England has only lost; the separatists want to make us foreigners in our own country; we’ll be glad when we don’t have to fund you any more; how do you think you’ll defend yourselves? NATO won’t have you.

Stories appear on here regularly of how English people are scared to be in Scotland since the referendum. Well I live here. They must be keeping a low profile because I haven’t met any, and no, I don’t just mix with Scottish nationalists. I was an activist during the referendum campaign and I was the one scared to put the Yes sticker on my car in case it got vandalised. Not everyone in Scotland behaves the way they should, Yes voters or No voters. Some of them are bams.

And one thing that drives me batchy… "Oh I love Scotland, the scenery’s lovely and so are the people". We’re not Brigadoon. angry

Bam: Daft, nutter, nuts, silly, "not right in head".
Batchy: Crazy

icanhandthemback Fri 13-May-22 12:11:57

I have never met anybody down on the South Coast who has anti Scottish feelings either, FannyCornforth and until I came upon some of the threads on GN, I didn't realise how the English were considered either by some the other side of the border.
My English friend is married to a Scot and when the Referendum for Independence was held, for the first time she actually felt frightened of the feelings towards her because she was English, even by members of her husband's family. The whole thing became toxic for her.
My only complaint about Scotland is that it is so far away which makes it difficult to visit! grin On the few occasions I've been to Bonny Scotland, I have loved the scenery, the atmosphere and the people I have encountered.

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:57:58

It’s in ‘chat’. I don’t think the active list is working properly again.
There is a ? in the title!

JaneJudge Fri 13-May-22 10:54:02

I can't find it! confused

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:50:29

Off you go then…smile

JaneJudge Fri 13-May-22 10:47:42

No smile

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:45:56

Have you seen my Fat Thread btw Jane?

JaneJudge Fri 13-May-22 10:43:57

urgh! what a farking liberty

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:41:21

They’re just marvellous aren’t they?
She once bought me a ‘Detox Diet’ book for Christmas.
Apropos of absolutely nothing. I was a size 14 at the time.
I returned it to M&S in a secret protest. I got 25p for it

JaneJudge Fri 13-May-22 10:13:35

FannyCornforth

Re weight. Jane you’ll know which member of my family this is

grin grin

I remember the year I'd got my degree (first one in my family) which I'd worked really hard for as a mature student and all they could talk about was how much weight I had put on whilst doing it grin

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:10:35

volver

Ohhh, get you!!! grin

grin
I was searching for a snooty, nose in air emoji

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:09:45

Re weight. Jane you’ll know which member of my family this is

FannyCornforth Fri 13-May-22 10:08:14

You’re absolutely right Jane (an’ weer yow bin, chick?)
We are an extremely open lot.
DH is only from the East Midlands; but when he visited my Nan in Quarry Bonk, he was pleasantly amazed at how friendly everyone is.
Derby folk are a bit miserable tbh.

volver Fri 13-May-22 09:58:44

My grannie and grandad had a dog called Jock. My cousin's husband is called Jock. Like Sassenach, it's a real word. Its only when its applied to every Scot in the world that its gets a bit annoying grin

JaneJudge Fri 13-May-22 09:43:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaneJudge Fri 13-May-22 09:41:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.